32 replies to this topic

#16 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

Mine did not rise much but my yeast was close to expiration and has been in my cabinet for a while so perhaps that is why. Yes I would make this again but I think I am going to tweak it to make drop biscuits from it instead of focaccia bread. All the gluten-free biscuit recipes I have found have eggs and I never put eggs in my biscuits prior to gluten-free baking. The eggy biscuits (like the ones made using gluten-free bisquik mix) are not good tasting to me. This was realy good and satisfied my craving for a dense bready baked good for sure. I also dipped it in my soup and it didn't disinigrate, it soaked up the liquid nicely. So I'm thinking this might be a good dough to use for chicken and dumplings.

Chicken and Dumplings and biscuits are a great idea for this. Mine wasn't biscuit-like - it rose tall and was very light. But the texture is still not real focaccia. It still is really good for what it is and fixes a craving fairly quickly.

I appreciate your input! It really helps me learn. :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

Chicken and Dumplings and biscuits are a great idea for this. Mine wasn't biscuit-like - it rose tall and was very light. But the texture is still not real focaccia. It still is really good for what it is and fixes a craving fairly quickly.

I appreciate your input! It really helps me learn. :D

No problem! It might have been the different flour that made mine more dense. I don't think I've seen sorghum in the stores here. Do you order it online? I liked this just fine with brown rice flour but I like the taste of brown rice. I also wonder if I had brushed the top with some egg white if it would have made the outside more chewy. I might try adding an egg or brushing it with egg next time. Was very good as it is though. We finished the small loaf off (My hubby ate more than me, lol).
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#18 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

No problem! It might have been the different flour that made mine more dense. I don't think I've seen sorghum in the stores here. Do you order it online? I liked this just fine with brown rice flour but I like the taste of brown rice. I also wonder if I had brushed the top with some egg white if it would have made the outside more chewy. I might try adding an egg or brushing it with egg next time. Was very good as it is though. We finished the small loaf off (My hubby ate more than me, lol).

It's funny that we can easily buy sorgum here in rural Alberta at the grocery store but yet have a heck of a time finding anything gluten-free aside from powdery cookies and bread. I have heard of people having difficulty finding it. Although I sort of complained about brown rice flour being a little gritty I still really like it and use it regularly. Some people are put off by it, some are not. Have you tried teff in much yet? I have a little but want to do more.

Anyway, your ideas have me thinking. I normally spray the inside of the oven with water prior to baking focaccia (or putting in a few ice cubes) and didn't with gluten-free yet. Love your eggwash idea. I wonder if adding a touch of psyllium fibre would help. I know that tapioca and potato flours are good for adding chew. Hmmmm. At least we have something to build on - we're a good team! :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#19 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

It's funny that we can easily buy sorgum here in rural Alberta at the grocery store but yet have a heck of a time finding anything gluten-free aside from powdery cookies and bread. I have heard of people having difficulty finding it. Although I sort of complained about brown rice flour being a little gritty I still really like it and use it regularly. Some people are put off by it, some are not. Have you tried teff in much yet? I have a little but want to do more.

Anyway, your ideas have me thinking. I normally spray the inside of the oven with water prior to baking focaccia (or putting in a few ice cubes) and didn't with gluten-free yet. Love your eggwash idea. I wonder if adding a touch of psyllium fibre would help. I know that tapioca and potato flours are good for adding chew. Hmmmm. At least we have something to build on - we're a good team! :D

I haven't tried teff yet either. I probably could get it from an international market here but I have not thought to look for it. I got some chickpea flour from the international market and I have no idea what to do with it. I really like brown rice and other rice flour based things. I've never had a problem with homemade items from brown rice flour being gritty. I'm not sure if you have the same brands up there, but I've been using Arrowhead Mills Organic brown rice flour. It appears to be very finely ground. Maybe other brands are more course and give that gritty texture everyone complains about? Either that or I just have a different definition of gritty, lol. I also like tapioca flour based things. Some people say it has a metallic aftertaste but I have not noticed it.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#20 Marc49

Marc49

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:11 AM

Glad to hear that someone else has tried it and approves!
I just need to line up the ingredients,.....probably will do one this weekend if I can find the stuff.

Someone mentioned Bisquick biscuits. Wow,.....I tried some of those, and while they looked OK, they sucked the moisture out of my throat when I ate one.

Funny thing is what happened when I took them out to the wooded section of my lot to feed the animals.
I always tear up any bread really fine in case a bird tries to eat any. These things you could just squeeze in your hand and they exploded into small particles like a ball of sawdust! ;)

#21 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:50 AM

Just an update on the sorghum. I looked again in my store today and I can get it here but it is made by Bob's Red Mill and I can't tolerate BRM products because they process their gluten-free flours in the the same facility as Oats. I'm very sensitive to Oat CC it seems. Every BRM product I tried made me sick. But for those that don't have a problem with BRM, their sorghum is sold in stores here in Virginia.

#22 AngieH

AngieH

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

This recipe looks like a good one. I love Fococcia bread. Thanks so much for sharing!

Angie.

#23 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

This recipe looks like a good one. I love Fococcia bread. Thanks so much for sharing!

Angie.

It is good. As noted above, the texture is not like real focaccia but mine rose nice and high and had a fine crumb. What I liked best was the smells exuding from the kitchen - fresh rosemary is wonderful - and the flavours are like focaccia. :)

#24 challengeaccepted

challengeaccepted

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

Ok, so I am saying in advance that I used this as an outline, not a hard and fast rule. Its how I like to bake so please take that into account, BUT I never could have made this such a success without your fantastic recipe. I look forward to reading through more of the food forums to find your little gems!!!

Changes I made,

-I cannot handle gums, so I used 2 tsp of Psyllium powder instead.

-I use a flour blend created by another website that I am sure many of you are already aware of, its gluten free girl. The Ahern's flour blend. It shares many similar ingredients to the OP, so I took the liberty since I had it all ready mixed and in a container ready to go. (Its flexible for many allergies, since it uses a weight ratio, subbing different flours in or out is so very easy)

Ok, that was it for changes :-)

This was amazing. I am not sure if my changes added that 'chewiness' everyone wanted, or If i just got lucky! It was chewy, crispy on the bottom, with this salty top that was tender and truly life changing lol.

Just amazing and I sincerely thank you for this recipe <3

#25 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

Ok, so I am saying in advance that I used this as an outline, not a hard and fast rule. Its how I like to bake so please take that into account, BUT I never could have made this such a success without your fantastic recipe. I look forward to reading through more of the food forums to find your little gems!!!

Changes I made,

-I use a flour blend created by another website that I am sure many of you are already aware of, its gluten free girl. The Ahern's flour blend. It shares many similar ingredients to the OP, so I took the liberty since I had it all ready mixed and in a container ready to go. (Its flexible for many allergies, since it uses a weight ratio, subbing different flours in or out is so very easy)

This was amazing. I am not sure if my changes added that 'chewiness' everyone wanted, or If i just got lucky! It was chewy, crispy on the bottom, with this salty top that was tender and truly life changing lol.

Welcome here! I'm so glad you took advantage of tweaking this recipe to your needs. That shows you are a creative baker - awesome. It is indeed a very simple recipe to make substitutions. I'll have to try it with psyllium instead as well to compare. I miss chewiness! :D

#26 challengeaccepted

challengeaccepted

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

Welcome here! I'm so glad you took advantage of tweaking this recipe to your needs. That shows you are a creative baker - awesome. It is indeed a very simple recipe to make substitutions. I'll have to try it with psyllium instead as well to compare. I miss chewiness! :D

Thank you sincerely for the welcome. Its just because of the gums issue that I switched to chia seeds first (but the smell/taste and discolouration of whatever I was baking just frustrated me)Psyllium is new to me but in the last few things I have made, It has really been impressive.

I used to be a Baker. Unfortunately, once I was diagnosed, the itchy skin, rashes and constant vomiting, headaches and nausea just grew too much to bear. I couldn't taste test anything anymore, and the flour was on my skin, under my baking clothes, that stuff got everywhere. The owners, for popularity reasons didn't want to switch to gluten free baked goods, so my career ended at that point.

Anyways, life is much better now, and I totally rambled in the wrong forum topic lol.

Please keep up the recipes for those of us re-learning!

#27 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:57 AM

Changes I made,

Is this the flour blend from gluten-free Girl? I saw where she said she tweeked her flour blend for a cookie in Dec. 2010 on her website, but wasn't sure if this is her "go to" flour blend or if it was just tweeked for the cookie recipe.

200 grams superfine brown rice flour
150 grams sorghum flour
50 grams potato flour
250 grams sweet rice flour
150 grams potato starch
100 grams arrowroot powder
100 grams cornstarch
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#28 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

Hey ladies, I'm not sure about international shipping, but The Teff Company has great rates for ivory and dark teff. They are where most companies get their teff that they repackage and sell I have heard.

#29 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

Hey ladies, I'm not sure about international shipping, but The Teff Company has great rates for ivory and dark teff. They are where most companies get their teff that they repackage and sell I have heard.

In my opinion, teff flour does not add much along the lines of taste, but it does help with the structure.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#30 challengeaccepted

challengeaccepted

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

Is this the flour blend from gluten-free Girl? I saw where she said she tweeked her flour blend for a cookie in Dec. 2010 on her website, but wasn't sure if this is her "go to" flour blend or if it was just tweeked for the cookie recipe.

200 grams superfine brown rice flour
150 grams sorghum flour
50 grams potato flour
250 grams sweet rice flour
150 grams potato starch
100 grams arrowroot powder
100 grams cornstarch

Yes!!! That's exactly it. I love the ability to swap out anything you may have an allergy too (she has a full list to choose from, the above was her personal blend). Plus I adore baking by weight, so I appreciated it when she switched over to that style.

I have a had a piece of the focaccia everyday since making it, and again OP, TY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: