This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Severe Depression/ Thyroid Issues Linked To Celiac Disease?

keithceliac2010

keithceliac2010 Rookie

I have been gluten free now for 3 weeks and I am feeling wonderful, better than I have felt in decades. Aches and pains have diminished. Brain fog has lifted and I feel like a different person. I was diagnosed with hyper thyroid about 8 months ago(before I found out that I suffered from celiac), and am on thyroid medication. Additionally, I have suffered from severe chronic depression since I was 15 years old(I am now 45 years old), and I remain on several anti-depressant drugs prescribed by my psychiatrist. Since I have been gluten free(and lactose free) for the last 3 weeks, my depression has lifted and I am happy and stress free. It is nothing short of a miracle. My question is this: Is it possible that in the future I will be able to stop taking my thyroid medication as well as my anti-depressant medications?? Does anyone have any success stories where they found they no longer need anti-depressants and/or thyroid medication?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

My guess would be there is a reasonably good chance you might be able to go off your antidepressants but not so good a chance with regard to the thyroid medication as with thyroid disease I think there is actual destruction of the orgain itself. I would not try either without medical supervision. Keep in mind that you may be in the honeymoon phase of celiac recovery. Many people have a symptomatic rebound after the first few weeks or months, even though they remain gluten free. Celiac disease is turning out to be more complex than we thought at one time and complete recovery is much less common when the diagnosis is made after people have reached their mid 30s.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I was on a two anti-depressants and an anti-anxiety medication for about 5 years.

Sometimes they seemed to help but it never lasted.

I have been gluten free for 5 months and the first thing I told the Dr. was that I wanted off the anti-depressants. We started tapering down and then off.

I feel great and don't feel that heavy dark despair at all since the gluten is gone.

However, I do keep the Xanax for anxiety episodes because if I get accidentally glutened it all comes right back.

Might not work for everyone, but it worked for me, and maybe your Dr. will let you try tapering down to see what your response is. You can always go back up if the depression isn't manageable.

The thyroid medication? There is a woman on here who has been able to greatly decrease the need for thyroid medication. The thyroid needs to be checked regularly for the doc to know what you need. I would be prepared to stay on that one, but the levels of medicine might be adjusted the longer you are gluten free.

I loved your story. The same thing happened to me. Nothing short of a miracle here too! I'm 47 and only 5 months into my new reality. So glad you are feeling better and I hope it continues!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Antideppressants never really helped me at all, in fact they made me worse so I wasn't on them when I was diagnosed. For me the depression was one of the first things to lift and it has never returned except when I am glutened. There is some research that is now telling psychiatrists that if someone does not respond to antidepressants that they should be checked for celiac. Do talk to your doctor and see if you can taper off them. Do not stop taking them suddenly unless your doctor says you can do so as some have a risk of seizure or other withdrawl symptoms when stopped suddenly.

Dixiebell Contributor

No more anti-depressants here either. I made sure to take a B-complex and fish oil and was able to taper off of the meds. Make sure to ask your Dr. the best way to do this. My depression went away and then fatigue started going away and then the aches and pains. It is a wonderful feeling.

keithceliac2010 Rookie

Thank you to everyone who responded to my questions about thyroid and depression issues and medications. I will definitely speak with my healthcare providers before making a decision to get off my meds. This is kinda a catch 22 though, because I do not have faith in these doctors who have seen me for my various ailments including thyroid and depression. I have told countless doctors of my symptoms, chronic fatigue, irratable bowels, depression, frequent urination(6-7 times per night--down to only 1-2 times a nite since i am gluten-free) The reason I have lost faith in the medical community is that for 30 years, no doctor ever mentioned that I could have celiac disease. In fact, my loving wife, spent many sleepless nights researching my symptoms and ailments via the internet. She is the one who brought this celiac/gluten intolerance issue to light. Don't get me wrong. I am VERY HAPPY to have been given a new lease on life and will not harp on the past. It is just that at this point, after my recent discoveries, that I have very little faith in the medical community. Don't you think that after 30 years visiting doctors that one of them would have suggested gluten intolerance?? Enough ranting. I will consult my doctors before I make a decision on my medications. I thank all of you who responded so quickly to my post. You have all made me feel very welcome into the worldwide family of celiac sufferers, and I was elated this morning to open my post and see that you all cared enough to share your success stories with me. I have a smile on my face that will last the whole day!!!!!!

scottyg354 Enthusiast

No more anti-depressants here either. I made sure to take a B-complex and fish oil and was able to taper off of the meds. Make sure to ask your Dr. the best way to do this. My depression went away and then fatigue started going away and then the aches and pains. It is a wonderful feeling.

Anti Depressants are a nightmare. I am currently on 10mg of Lexapro which is the minimal dose. It pretty much ruined my life for six weeks. Made my anxiety 100 times worse, they seem to be mellowing me out now a little, but my anger issues seems to be coming back. Anxiety seems to be somewhat better though.

I am hypothyroid, not sure if I am Celiac or not. Hopefully, I will no soon enough. I do know that the majority of people with thyroid issues are usually stuck on meds for life. It's really not that big of a deal as the meds a relatively cheap. I think for a months supply of levo for me is like 6 bucks. Now the lexapro thats a different story. 30 of those bad boys runs me 100 bucks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Anti Depressants are a nightmare. I am currently on 10mg of Lexapro which is the minimal dose. It pretty much ruined my life for six weeks. Made my anxiety 100 times worse, they seem to be mellowing me out now a little, but my anger issues seems to be coming back. Anxiety seems to be somewhat better though.

Did you let your doctor know about the side effects you were having? You mention anxiety, do you have more symptoms of anxiety than depression? If you do you may need an antianxiety med rather than an antidepressant. Doctors were convinced I was depressed for years, I wasn't I was celiac. Even after diagnosis they wanted me to take antidepressants for my anxiety symptoms. Finally a doctor listened and put me on an antianxiety med instead and it has made a world of difference. There is also the possiblity that once you have been gluten free for a bit and healed you won't need either.

scottyg354 Enthusiast

Did you let your doctor know about the side effects you were having? You mention anxiety, do you have more symptoms of anxiety than depression? If you do you may need an antianxiety med rather than an antidepressant. Doctors were convinced I was depressed for years, I wasn't I was celiac. Even after diagnosis they wanted me to take antidepressants for my anxiety symptoms. Finally a doctor listened and put me on an antianxiety med instead and it has made a world of difference. There is also the possiblity that once you have been gluten free for a bit and healed you won't need either.

I did my research LExapro works for both anxiety and depression. Its working good now. He did warn me there would be some side effects while adjusting, they were brutal, but for the most part they cleared up in a few weeks.

GFinDC Veteran

Any thing you ingest will have a tendency to be better absorbed after going gluten-free and healing your gut. So thyroid meds may need to be decreased after gluten-free.

gary'sgirl Explorer

My mom and sister were both able to go off their thyroid meds after the doctor told them they would have to be on them for life.

They think it was largely due to changing their eating habits - taking out refined sugars and grains for the most part.

So, i think there is a possibility of the body being able to heal it's self if given the right circumstances.

plumbago Experienced

Hi,

I haven't read all the replies, yet, but as far as getting off anti-depressants, I can recommend a couple of web sites. For tapering off, google crazy meds. Or "crazy meds US" - something like that. It has details about all the different kinds of drugs that psychiatrists dole out. And as far as getting off them, of course their chemistries are all different, so it will be not be a one size fits all formula for tapering. You probably know all this. Then, I'd like to recommend some sites that deal with what I call mental distress usually without drugs. One is alt mentalities I think, and the other one is Beyond Meds. Beyond Meds I look at regularly and it is very very good.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Plumbago

plumbago Experienced

Antideppressants never really helped me at all, in fact they made me worse so I wasn't on them when I was diagnosed. For me the depression was one of the first things to lift and it has never returned except when I am glutened. There is some research that is now telling psychiatrists that if someone does not respond to antidepressants that they should be checked for celiac. Do talk to your doctor and see if you can taper off them. Do not stop taking them suddenly unless your doctor says you can do so as some have a risk of seizure or other withdrawl symptoms when stopped suddenly.

I accompanied a family member to their psychiatrist's appointment one time, and mentioned getting the family member tested for celiac disease. Word for word, the psychiatrist (very respected by the way) said it's the most over-diagnosed disease.

scottyg354 Enthusiast

I accompanied a family member to their psychiatrist's appointment one time, and mentioned getting the family member tested for celiac disease. Word for word, the psychiatrist (very respected by the way) said it's the most over-diagnosed disease.

Over Diagnosed? By my understand it is one of the most under-diagnoses, along with hypothyroid.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It isn't over-diagnosed it is just that it is finally being realized how common it is and how much it impacts not just the gut. Recent studies are even showing that folks on psychotropic drugs who don't get relief from them should be tested for celiac as it can have serious brain impact even if gut symptoms are not present.

Evangeline Explorer

Be aware that SOY and SOY LECITHIN commonly cause Celiacs to become depressed. Any trace of it can cause depression within hours. I know 6 Celiacs with this problem. S

Archived