25 replies to this topic

#16 zimmer

zimmer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

As someone with celiac disease but asymptomatic I would agree. In ways it does indeed feel like a life sentence because I feel no different off gluten (actually I had more energy on gluten). It seems as though I have nothing to aim for (i.e. feeling better, etc.). And I love food too much! Having said that, I still will NOT cheat. Ever. ;)

I'm right there with you. Could eat a whole plate of pasta & loaf of bread, and my worst symptom would be the feeling that I've eaten too much. Therefore, if it were me at the Olive Garden Party, I would eat plenty before going, and partake of the vino (and a little salad)!
Positive tTG IgA Ab, Gliadin IgA & IgG
Decided against biopsy
gluten-free 2/14/11

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

I'm right there with you. Could eat a whole plate of pasta & loaf of bread, and my worst symptom would be the feeling that I've eaten too much. Therefore, if it were me at the Olive Garden Party, I would eat plenty before going, and partake of the vino (and a little salad)!

Me, too! Some days on my gluten challenge I think I literally did have half a loaf of ciabatta, lots of pasta, pizza, croissants, whatever. Anything I wanted. Not a single thing happened. Not even a twitch. As I've said elsewhere here I still wonder if my surgeon got my biopsy tests right! Well, I know he did, but still.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#18 zus888

zus888

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

I was going to take the advice and make the bread, but they've canceled the Olive Garden trip and are now having a party (dinner and dessert) at home. Great! I think I'm MORE afraid of getting glutened at someone's house than I am at a restaurant.

So, now I have traded sadness with paranoia. I can't freakin' win.

I think I'll have to fill myself up before the party. And make my own dessert. Strawberry cake?

Luckily, she went to the dietitian with me and knows how careful she needs to be. I'm very grateful for that.
Suzanna

#19 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

So, now I have traded sadness with paranoia. I can't freakin' win.

At least you aren't stuck in a rut. ;) :P
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#20 Marz

Marz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:52 AM

Glad to hear the temptation is gone ;) I must admit there's a restaurant nearby that serves warm soft bread before the meal. I fill myself up with the smell of that divine bread, and then studiously ignore it :P

If you ever need to go to the Olive Garden though, some advice that I'm sure will help :

1) Don't go hungry! Eat a fruit or something before you go, so if you are tempted, it isn't hunger + temptation feeding you.

2) Bring your own snacks. Instead of breadsticks, bring a pack of chips, popcorn, cheese sticks. Maybe something crunchy and tasty to eat while everyone else is digging in will stop temptation?

3) Knowing that your family is going out of their way to accommodate you.

This is a big one for me - I can't cheat on the diet with something as silly as bread, when I know my family go out of their way to make gluten-free dishes for me. My MIL even baked me gluten-free muffins and waffles. My mom made a gluten-free Xmas cake for me last year. Cheating would be throwing that effort in their faces. I feel that it would make them think I wasn't serious about the diet, and just being "fussy". So my biggest problem is actually eating something in secret, I wouldn't do anything in front of friends or family :D

4) Think about the discomfort you'll get later if you're still tempted. A delicious moment on the lips vs a day in the loo and/or in pain....

Good luck with the family dinner - if you're very nervous, take a big dish with you. You can say it's to "share", but you grab a plate of your "safe" food before anyone else does. Then either ignore other dishes, take what looks safe, or just put it to the side of your plate and make it look "eaten".

It's one thing I've realised - when people eat, they don't watch what you're eating/not eating. Fill up on your safe items, and hopefully avoid CC :)
Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks
July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms
July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem
Gluten intolerant

#21 Marz

Marz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:56 AM

Luckily, she went to the dietitian with me and knows how careful she needs to be. I'm very grateful for that.

Sounds like you'll be fine! :) Your biggest culprits will be the spices she uses automatically without thinking about what's in them, and wheat flour used as a thickener in sauces if that's what she usually uses. Of course CC is also a problem - people dipping spoons into two dishes and introducing crumbs or sauces. So just ask what spices she used in a dish, if you don't know/not sure, and be rude and dish up first at dinner!

Oh, and also be wary of the family's margarine/butter/condiments - if it's a jar, it's probably not safe if people have double-dipped. If it's a squeeze bottle it should be fine as long as no-one's smeared it against a bread roll or something :P
Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks
July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms
July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem
Gluten intolerant

#22 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

Strawberry cake?! I want that recipe!!
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#23 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

I just googled "strawberry cake gluten" (without the quotes), and got a couple of recipes. I cannot attest to their taste or texture. Some call for a gluten-free all purpose flour and another lists a variety of flours.

I don't know my flours well enough to stray from a recipe. This would be my first attempt at baking gluten free and I don't have all the flours it calls for.
Suzanna

#24 killernj13

killernj13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:44 AM

Simple - bring your own.

#25 brittanymaine

brittanymaine

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

You just have to tell yourself you can't have it and deal with it. As bad as it sounds, you can't sit there wishing you could have something because there really is no way you will ever eat it again so you might as well forget about it.
Some days you will get cravings but you have to eat the foods that you are allowed and that you love :)

#26 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:28 AM

Strawberry cake?! I want that recipe!!

Here's one recipe from The Cake Mix Doctor (I need to order that cookbook as soon as I find a couple of more things to add to my wish list for free shipping)

Fresh Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

http://www.cakemixdo...heese-frosting/

Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: