5 replies to this topic

#1 Nen

Nen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:30 PM

I was wondering, is there like a listing of just very basic foods (ie: carrot sticks, potatoes...etc) one can eat for a time (say several weeks) that are known for a fact to be 100% gluten free, so I could do kind of like a test diet?

How long should it take to see any results from such a diet (as in if gluten does affect me should I start to see improvements in X amount of weeks?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:38 AM

This is called an elimination diet and you can eat all meats, poultry, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds. This is a whole foods diet and very healthy. You can eat rice and gluten free grains, and use gluten free products if you tolerate them and just want to eliminate gluten. Also dairy would be ok if you are not sensitive to it. A lot of Celiacs have difficulty with dairy though, so just be aware.

You can do a two week trial and then do a gluten challenge. Actually, it is up to you how long you want to eat gluten free before you "test" it. My son only made it a week before he indulged in pizza and then became very very ill. If you are symptomatic, it should show itself very rapidly when you test gluten by eating it.

Most recommend eliminating gluten for 2 weeks before introducing it again.

If you have a reaction, you are either Celiac or Gluten Intolerant. Those who aren't would be able to eat that gluten food without having a reaction, even though they had not eaten it for 2 weeks.

Good luck with eliminating it and I hope you feel better soon.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#3 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:37 AM

Be aware that some people have delayed reactions. My daughter has a reaction three days later, this is the norm for her.
I think I have seen to trial gluten-free for two to three months. If you are planning to do testing, blood, endo/biopsy, you should do that first because if you stop eating gluten and then get tested, your tests will not be accurate and you will need to go back to eating a gluten filled diet for three months and then get tested.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#4 Nen

Nen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:48 AM

Wow, so as little as 2 weeks could show if I have a problem with gluten (by going off 2 wks then back on gluten)? That is quick!

So, try to think basic foods (with only like 1 ingredient, such as just plain basic chicken with nothing added). I would think the more complex the food (the more ingredients) the more chance for gluten to be hiding.

#5 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

You can use all the ingredients you want as long as they are gluten free.

Like stir fry for example would have a lot of vegetables and meat. Just be careful of soy sauce-some is made from wheat.

Two weeks worked for both myself and my son. Everyone is different and you could do a longer challenge if you don't learn anything from a short gluten-free challenge.

Let us know how it goes!
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#6 Nen

Nen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:34 AM

Thank you eatmeat4good, I am still contemplating whether to get a blood test done before I mess with cutting out gluten, but for sure just cutting out gluten for a time would be cheaper, and more accurate to determine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: