#1 jay88

jay88

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

Hi everyone,

im 23 and have been gluten free now for about 6 months and had a huge boost in my health as a result insomnia and headaches 80% better ive had numerous slip ups and and cross contaminations over the past few months were my insomnia and headaches return! but during strict gluten free periods there is one symptom that never seems to go away... BRAIN FOG and stammering.

Does this mean i have more unknown food allergies? Has anyone else cured themselfs from this debilitating symptom? If so how long did it take?

gluten free
milk free
egg free
shellfish free
oranges free (diagnosed through food logs)

Any help is much appreciated

regards James :)
Gluten, Egg, Diary free Aug 10
Shellfish free Nov 11
Orange free Feb 11

Very Ill as a child, chronic insomnia from the age of 6. Servere brain fog and headaches from age of 17. Paid £100 for an IgG food antibodies test in August 2010 started food log Feb 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bridgetm

bridgetm

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

Hi everyone,

im 23 and have been gluten free now for about 6 months and had a huge boost in my health as a result insomnia and headaches 80% better ive had numerous slip ups and and cross contaminations over the past few months were my insomnia and headaches return! but during strict gluten free periods there is one symptom that never seems to go away... BRAIN FOG and stammering.

Does this mean i have more unknown food allergies? Has anyone else cured themselfs from this debilitating symptom? If so how long did it take?

gluten free
milk free
egg free
shellfish free
oranges free (diagnosed through food logs)

Any help is much appreciated

regards James :)

I have been gluten-free for about 10 months (plus 2 if you count the period where I was trying to be gluten-free but ignorant of its presence in everything). I also had to drop dairy, quickly followed by soy.

I can no longer tolerate caffeine, but in the early months I hit the coffee hard when I had brain fog. I also slammed water. Now I stick to the water. Drink more than you think you need. You can literally 'flush' the gluten out of your system; the faster the gluten goes, the sooner symptoms like brain fog go away.

I have also read that green tea helps, but I haven't tested that myself on account of the caffeine.

Good luck!

Bridget

#3 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

Could Soy could be an issue??
Soy Is a BIGGIE for me and one of the reactions i have if accidentally ingested soy is BRAIN FOG

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

I agree...try ditching the soy, it may help!

It's in everything--watch for soy lecithin, soy protein isolate, hydolyzed vegetable protein.

It's like gluten--used as fillers and texturizers, so you have to play detective.

Good luck!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

I had a suggetion of a B50 complex from someone...I don't have a verdict on it yet myself (tried it today, but I have such a headache I can't think straight anyways) but it's worth a shot!

#6 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

I had a suggetion of a B50 complex from someone...I don't have a verdict on it yet myself (tried it today, but I have such a headache I can't think straight anyways) but it's worth a shot!

B12 is a nice boost too. I take it every day, but I increase the dose for a few days after I CC'd.

#7 Cinnamongirl

Cinnamongirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:28 AM

Cutting out gluten has reduced my brain fog considerably. I had brain fog so bad at times, that I was afraid to drive when I felt it for fear I could cause an accident. This past year I was able to start carpooling again and am so thankful that I can give and share rides again. I have found green tea to be helpful and vitamin B-12 although I no longer notice the effects of B-12 supplementation like I used to (I take sublingual). I assume this may mean that my levels have returned to normal. I do not take B-12 every day, but I generally drink green tea every day - usually decaf. I have also noticed a mood improvement after taking protein powder - maybe it is the tryptophan.

Now I only feel brain fog if I have accidentally eaten gluten or if I have PMS. I recently tried Oasis Serene (Progesterone cream) and it lifted my brain fog almost immediately so I know there can be other culprits for brain fog besides gluten. I realize this won't help the men on this board, but perhaps there could be a different hormone out of balance responsible for your brain fog?
Felt limited by anxiety since I was around 9.
Have known something was "wrong" for most of my adult life and learned to live with bloating/constipation and fatigue.
Went to many doctors for help without success.
Got confirmation from Enterolabs that I was gluten sensitive in Dec. 20009

#8 jay88

jay88

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:21 PM

Thank you everyone for all the great replies! I think I might go Soy free for awhile and see if there is any improvement :) Ill also get some B3 complex tablets i seen today at my local vitamin store and start drinking green tea see if theres any improvment :)

Thanks again for the replies god bless :)
Gluten, Egg, Diary free Aug 10
Shellfish free Nov 11
Orange free Feb 11

Very Ill as a child, chronic insomnia from the age of 6. Servere brain fog and headaches from age of 17. Paid £100 for an IgG food antibodies test in August 2010 started food log Feb 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: