5 replies to this topic

#1 ndw3363

ndw3363

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:43 AM

I've been gluten-free for under a month and I've been doing pretty well. I'm probably not as vigilant about CC as I should be, but I'm getting there. The longer I'm gluten-free, the more in tune I am with my symtoms. Anyway, I just had to share my dumb girl moment from last night. I've been trying different gluten-free Brownie mixes for a few weeks. My bf is a huge dessert eater so I thought if I could find something we could both eat that would be great! But, unfortunately, they all have a funky aftertaste and he won't eat them. Well, he's been so wonderful about all this with me, that I made him the real ones last night. Washed my hands like crazy, cleaned the counters afterwards. Dumb moment happened when I took them out of the oven and used a toothpick to check that they were done. Inserted toothpick and then out of habit, stuck the darn thing in my mouth! I spit it out instantly and just had to laugh at myself for being so absent minded. It's amazing how something so small could quite possibly cause big problems. I feel ok today thank goodness...hopefully that will continue. Happy Tuesday everyone!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:38 AM

I've been gluten-free for under a month and I've been doing pretty well. I'm probably not as vigilant about CC as I should be, but I'm getting there. The longer I'm gluten-free, the more in tune I am with my symtoms. Anyway, I just had to share my dumb girl moment from last night. I've been trying different gluten-free Brownie mixes for a few weeks. My bf is a huge dessert eater so I thought if I could find something we could both eat that would be great! But, unfortunately, they all have a funky aftertaste and he won't eat them. Well, he's been so wonderful about all this with me, that I made him the real ones last night. Washed my hands like crazy, cleaned the counters afterwards. Dumb moment happened when I took them out of the oven and used a toothpick to check that they were done. Inserted toothpick and then out of habit, stuck the darn thing in my mouth! I spit it out instantly and just had to laugh at myself for being so absent minded. It's amazing how something so small could quite possibly cause big problems. I feel ok today thank goodness...hopefully that will continue. Happy Tuesday everyone!

You are not alone. I have done things like that before -- licked my finger after making the kids sandwiches, and such.

There is a really great recipe for brownies on here....I wish I could remember the post. But you message me, I'll send it when I get home (the message will remind me!). It is excellent, and NO ONE will know it's gluten free. It is amazing.
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#3 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:56 AM

I am certain we all make mistakes like that one. Currently I'm kicking myself for letting someone else do the grocery shopping.
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#4 TSA

TSA

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:47 AM

Like everyone else, we've all had a moment like that. Mine was making my family pasta in one pan and gluten-free pasta in another one and out of habit I tossed a noodle in my mouth to see if it was done. Now I tell my family if they want to make sure their pasta is done, they better be in the kitchen with me when I make it. Of course, my oldest daughter wants to toss the noodle to see if it sticks to the ceiling. Thats not going to happen! Always an adventure!
Good Luck! Tammy
Tammy

Celiac since Nov. 2010

#5 hnybny91

hnybny91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:12 AM

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt....lol.

BTW....Betty crocker has gluten free mixes and they have a brownie mix. I tried the expensive gluten free brownie things and hated the after taste too. I have not tried the BC brownie mix but I have tried the cake mix and the cookie mix and both were very good with no yucky after taste :)

#6 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

I've done this also. Mine was pasta. Cooked the "real" stuff for my family and just absently put a noodle in my mouth to see if it was done. :blink: -- Another time it was just me and the kids for dinner. Dh was traveling. It was cold and rainy so I said how about grilled cheese and tomato soup. I got out the big pan, the one that fits three grilled cheese at once and started making three! oy... They were already in the pan when it dawned on me that of course I couldn't eat one! sheesh... Thankfully my ds is a teenage boy so he just ate two. :lol: -- And yet another time I was going to eat the last bits of the Kentucky Fried Chicken mac and cheese.

Lol... after awhile it does get easier. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: