22 replies to this topic

#1 Brigit

Brigit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:59 AM

I've never struggled to control my emotions, love people, love being busy and am generally easy going.

But since being gluten free 3 weeks now, I've just been sad. I've had 3 or 4 public tears, well meltdowns actually. :) Just feeling like I can't anymore, emotionally.
My symptoms have subsided since being gluten free, which makes my body happier, but my emotions are really struggling.

I can't think of anything else that it can be, other than maybe tiredness, cause I'm not sleeping that well. Is that normal, to be so emotionally unstable after starting a gluten free diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 etta694

etta694

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

I am sure it is normal... I've shed tears too. Once just because someone made something gluten free for me and I didn't expect it. There is definitely a grieving process especially when you have a life change like this. I've heard others talk about this too. You need a HUG!!! :)
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#3 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

Hi Brigit, you are going through a grieving process yes, but for a lot of us it can be from gluten withdrawal also. Just hang in there and one morning you'll wake up and it'll be gone.
Wish you well.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#4 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

I had several emotional meltdowns in the beginning because I felt like everything had to be from scratch and really complicated. Since that has since been disproven ;) it's all good. :) Give yourself time. It does get easier.
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#5 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

I've been gluten free almost 4 weeks now. First 3 were brutal. I'm just now starting to feel a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Headaches aren't as bad and I'm not all over the place emotionally (the sunny warm might have something to do with it though). From what I hear, it can take a few months to really feel better. That's the only thing keeping me going at this point. This week, I FEEL better, but I want gluten foods very badly. I'm hoping the craving phase goes away by this weekend. Luckily, my favorite wine is gluten free! That should help!

#6 Brigit

Brigit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

Thanks ladies!

I struggled to get up this morning and was miserable all the way through my puffed rice cereal. :) But on the way to work decided to put a brave face on and celebrate and be thankful for the good things that are happening because I've cut out gluten.
So I'll start celebrating soon... maybe after a glass of wine or two ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the advice and encouragement, it's really appreciated. When I told my husband how I was feeling, he answered; "why don't you ask The Forum, maybe someone there can tell you if it's normal and what to expect." :) Yay for this forum! :)

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:08 AM

Have you had all your nutrient levels checked, Brigit? I ask because I have always been a positive, upbeat person but was finding myself feeling very teary and sorry for myself, would almost start crying if someone showed some empathy - like when I went to my doc who is great and I love her. I was almost what they would call emotionally labile (I worked in a psychiatric clinic once :D ). One of the problems was my thyroid which I made her check, and the result was that not only was it low but I I was really low in B12, folate and Vit. D, amongst other things (which I also made her check - and the reason I say she is great is not because she knows a lot but she will do what I ask :) ) This is why I say we all have to be as informed as, if not better than, our doctors about this condition because we need to tell them what we need. So everything was below par, and once I got my body on an even keel all this emotional stuff went away. This is one reason I rail on about doctors who blame everything on stress and female hormones and emotions, when in actual fact it is imbalances in our bodies that is causing the emotions and none of them are trained to recognize this. Medical schools - teach your doctors basic nutrition!!! :ph34r: I swear to God they must have a class in medical school about female emotions and how to pat them on the shoulder and say "there, there" :wacko: I actually had one do that to me once :huh: He never saw my face in his door again.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Brigit

Brigit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:44 AM

I like your attitude! :) I've not had my levels checked, the period leading up to this time, the doctor had me on iron drips every two weeks and doing all sorts of other checks on me, none that came back positive as they weren't anything to do with Celiac, so because of all the doctors visits we are financially strapped now for a month or two.
It was definitely that same attitude the whole time, like I must just be stressed or depressed. Meanwhile, my body isn't working the way it should be.
Once we have money, I'll be going for more help, right now I'm just doing what I can.
I've been given a name of a doctor who is a homeopath with medical background, she has worked extensively with autistic children who she had on gluten free diets and lots of patients with various other diet issues. So I'm looking forward to being able to see her and to be helped properly.

Until then, I've upped my mineral & vitamin doses, cut out gluten and using all your advice which is serving me well!

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:11 AM

You are likely going through withdrawl and hopefully it will lift soon. It also is a big change and many of us do go through a grieving process as the others have mentioned. By the time you have the financial means to see the homeopathic doctor you may be feeling great. Do be aware that not all naturopathic doctors are as up on celiac and how sensitive we are as they should be. I saw one who had the rep of being the best in my state and he glutened me with every very expensive thing he 'prescribed' me. He had the attitude that 'just a little bit' in his remedies won't hurt. They did and not just my body but also my pocketbook. Not saying yours won't be good but wanted you to be careful and to research what she may give you.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 Emma-Lee

Emma-Lee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

Hey lady! Hang in there. I think we were both diagnosed around the same time. No joking, it can be rough. Here is what I learned that has helped with the sadness. I got tested for B12, iron deficiency, and Vit D. The results: I have stage 2 iron deficiency (close to iron anemia) and a Vit D deficiency. thank goodness my B12 is ok. But these are common things with Celiac. So my MD had me start some supplements. After reading up on these issues I learned that ANY deficiency can contribute to mood. Meaning sadness, irritability, tiredness, depression. It made a LOT of sense for me! I do feel a LOT better with the added supplements. Not sure if you have been tested or not, but would suggest you ask your doctor, if not. I feel SO much better, happier, and such. So yes, hang in there, you can do it! Wish you the best, Emma

#11 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:05 AM

Hey lady! Hang in there. I think we were both diagnosed around the same time. No joking, it can be rough. Here is what I learned that has helped with the sadness. I got tested for B12, iron deficiency, and Vit D. The results: I have stage 2 iron deficiency (close to iron anemia) and a Vit D deficiency. thank goodness my B12 is ok. But these are common things with Celiac. So my MD had me start some supplements. After reading up on these issues I learned that ANY deficiency can contribute to mood. Meaning sadness, irritability, tiredness, depression. It made a LOT of sense for me! I do feel a LOT better with the added supplements. Not sure if you have been tested or not, but would suggest you ask your doctor, if not. I feel SO much better, happier, and such. So yes, hang in there, you can do it! Wish you the best, Emma

IF your B12 level was below 500 you may want to try a sublingual B12 even if the levels say that you are in the normal range. It can take a long time for the blood levels to drop even after we are unable to utilize the B12. Some doctors still use the 250 lower level, mine did. B12 is water soluable so taking too much is not going to hurt you as you will simply excrete what the body can't use. Do use the sublingual form as you won't absorb it from swallowed vitamins until you have healed.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#12 Brigit

Brigit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:19 AM

You are likely going through withdrawl and hopefully it will lift soon. It also is a big change and many of us do go through a grieving process as the others have mentioned. By the time you have the financial means to see the homeopathic doctor you may be feeling great. Do be aware that not all naturopathic doctors are as up on celiac and how sensitive we are as they should be. I saw one who had the rep of being the best in my state and he glutened me with every very expensive thing he 'prescribed' me. He had the attitude that 'just a little bit' in his remedies won't hurt. They did and not just my body but also my pocketbook. Not saying yours won't be good but wanted you to be careful and to research what she may give you.

Thank you! I'll definitely research the doctors advice. I've spent a lot of time on the internet since being gluten free!

#13 Brigit

Brigit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:22 AM

Hi Emma,

thanks for the kind words! I am needing to up my supplements, but I stupidly bought supplements from a pharmacy, and since learned that their doses are ridiculously low for my needs. I've since found a healthshop that has what I need, so I'll be getting what I need there.

Crazy hey, how some basic mineral and vitamin shortage can mess with us so dramatically!

All the best to you to - trust to hear wonderful stories of success from you in the future. :)

#14 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:37 AM

Hi Emma,

thanks for the kind words! I am needing to up my supplements, but I stupidly bought supplements from a pharmacy, and since learned that their doses are ridiculously low for my needs. I've since found a healthshop that has what I need, so I'll be getting what I need there.

Crazy hey, how some basic mineral and vitamin shortage can mess with us so dramatically!

All the best to you to - trust to hear wonderful stories of success from you in the future. :)

Check out Pilgrams Pride online they show their ingredients so you can confirm it's gluten free. All their bottles are buy one get one free and I think they are much cheaper than any vitamin store/health food store in my area.

I too am rather broke so I've been bargain hunting. :)
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

Hi Brigit!
YES! I am feeling the same moodiness (totally unlike my happy personality :blink: ) and have been fighting off depression and tears. I was crying every day for 3 years :unsure: before I stopped the gluten. Sometimes, I even had RAGE :blink: but at least now, it has been better. And I KNOW why I was so "nutsy". It never made any sense to me, although I also have chronic pain, so I was "down",,,but this continued gloominess was certainly connected to the gluten. I am feeling the clouds "lifting" gradually and so, I feel reassured it will resolve. (BTW, I refused anti-depressants from doctors who felt that all of this illness was "in my head" HA!) Idiots!

If you are eating well, taking vitamins, and staying off the gluten, it WILL get better.
One thing I know, my HORMONES took a big whack from the gluten---not just thyroid, but female hormones and so, it is likely everything inside of you is realigning, balancing and reorganizing.
Doctors underestimate the widespread damage gluten does to the body. It affects EVERYTHING--organs, tissues, mucosa--and so, as it leaves the body, the gut repairs and the neurotransmitters, like seratonin--will start to work as they should in your brain.

You may be having trouble sleeping right now, but it will subside as well. I could not sleep well for YEARS, at one point, only 1 or 2 hours a night!! but now, I am starting to get almost 6. I celebrate this and see the connection to how long I am gluten-free! (almost 3 months)

I wish it would happen faster :) because it is difficult to be moody and weepy (who likes that??! UGH!) yet I feel certain it will level off as time passes. Almost all of these women have told me the same thing...time heals all of the things that have been affected by the celiac.

I went to a Naturopath for 2.5 years before my diagnosis. I spent thousands of dollars on supplements. My husband and I were desperate for me to be well and no one in the mainstream medical world could help me. The supplements did nothing for me---the gluten was the key --and all the supplements in the world are useless when the gut cannot absorb them. I would hate to see you waste money as well. JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Taking Vit. D-3 and B-12 usually resolve the low feelings. when you can afford it, it would not hurt to have your thyroid levels checked, but they too level off after being gluten free sometimes.

Give your body some time, hon. You are still in withdrawal!! You are young, so you will heal faster!! Hang in there. Here's a ((HUG)).

best wishes!! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: