This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pulmanary Symptoms?

missj

missj Rookie

Has anyone had breathing issues with Celiac? I get short of breath really easily but my allergist said my lung function is above normal. I even smoked off and on for a few years. I do notice that when I don't take my magnesium it gets worse, which I guess could indicate a malabsorbtion issue but I don't have any other malabsorbtion symptoms. Any thoughts or experiances?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

My son had severe asthma all his life. It got way better when he went gluten free. There were three articles in the research section recently that like asthma with Celiac. Also Vitamin D deficiency can cause severe asthma.

Many people have been surprised to learn their asthma and allergies decline on going gluten free.

The magnesium connection is interesting. My son hates taking vitamins so I only make him take a multiple and a D. But I may try additional magnesium. Thank you.

missj Rookie

Beware that some forms of magnesium can draw water into your intestines as well, so if he starts having some D it could be due to the mag. The original reason my doc put me on it was for constipation and I started to do some research to see if it could be a deficency and I found out that breathing/heart problems can be connected to a lack of mag in your diet. It is definately an interesting connection. I'll have to see if I can find the link again and post it somewhere here.

My allergist said that I don't have asthma but that I am asthmatic in certain situations, like cold and humidity. So now I'm wondering if I am maybe a little more than just asthmatic. Interesting!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Thank you for that magnesium information. If I didn't know that, I might have thought he had gotten gluten so thanks! I have some experience with magnesium myself as I was using it to control migraine (or so I thought) and yes, it can "draw water to the intestines" so to speak. It didn't help my migraines, but going gluten free did. My son's asthma was atypical and seemed to have no connection to common air borne allergies at all. Yet it has all but disappeared since eliminating gluten. I think as time goes by they may be making more connections to gluten causing asthma whether it is from the antibodies or vitamin deficiencies.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

There was a recent article linking asthma and celiac that stated that the inflammation that we get is thought to be the cause of the asthma. I also had my asthma symptoms go away gluten free. Haven't had to use my inhalor or take singulair in a very long time now. If you do a search using the words celiac and asthma you should be able to find the article.

Looking for answers Contributor

I used to get really short of breath until I got my iron levels back up....just another thought.

Archived