This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Betty Crocker Brownie Mix

NateJ

NateJ Contributor

Just wanted to post that the Betty Crocker Brownie mix is amazing. Tastes so good like real brownies.

I found the mix at the grocery store (Schnucks in St. Louis). They also have cake and cookie mixes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

freeatlast Collaborator

Just wanted to post that the Betty Crocker Brownie mix is amazing. Tastes so good like real brownies.

I found the mix at the grocery store (Schnucks in St. Louis). They also have cake and cookie mixes.

I like the brownies, too :)

NateJ Contributor

yep! just don't use to big a pan. I used an 11x7 and they were sort of thin.But still taste awesome!!

so excited. brownies today and I found out fruity pebbles are gluten free and they make little fruity pebble snack treats!!!!

MNMAC Apprentice

The cookies were very good also except after eating a couple the first time I had some stomach pain, tried again a few days later and wound up with bad cramps. Made sure everything was on the up and up with gluten-free and pans, unless something else caused the trouble. Sorry to be a downer, I will try the brownies next.

sa1937 Community Regular

The brownies are also good if you add chocolate chips to them. :D

If you like Fruity Pebbles, you may also like Cocoa Pebbles (be sure the boxes are marked gluten-free as they haven't been gluten-free for that long). There's another kind available, too, and I can't think of the name of it. There's also another kind that's not gluten-free. The boxes are well labeled though...just make sure it's marked gluten-free.

hockeymomofceliacchild Rookie

I wish we could get Betty crocker mixes and fruity pebbles here in Canada :(

NateJ Contributor

I think they are fairly new. And its only at one local grocery that I've seen. Maybe they will come to Canada soon!

The pebbles were definitley marked. I saw someone post on here about them and immediatley drove to the store.

And inside was a free fruity pebbles snack bar, that was also labeled gluten free! I was so excited like a little kid getting a cool toy in my cereal box!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wenmin Enthusiast

I make a pan of 8x8 of the brownie mix. Let it cool completely ( I let it sit on my counter for about a day or two) flip out of pan cut into 9 pieces and wrap and freeze individual servings. When I need a quick snack/dessert, I just take one out of the freezer and nuke for about 15-20 seconds....AWESOME! The brownie mix already has chips in it.

Wenmin

sa1937 Community Regular

A friend of mine made the brownie mix and added raspberry chocolate chips to it. OMG, it was good!!!

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I love the brownies as well! When I treat myself, I frost them with gluten-free Betty Crocker icing. Paula Dean made brownies once and put candy bars in the middle. I thought that would be a good idea to kick up the gluten-free brownie mix, but haven't tried it.

sa1937 Community Regular

Do you remember what kind of candy bars she used?

I bet you could frost them with a chocolate ganache glaze, too, which is so easy to make and so sinfully rich. Or how about Andes Mints?

brendygirl Community Regular

I wish we could get Betty crocker mixes and fruity pebbles here in Canada :(

Maybe you could order some online or make a request at your grocery store to the manager? Good luck!

freeatlast Collaborator

I make a pan of 8x8 of the brownie mix. Let it cool completely ( I let it sit on my counter for about a day or two) flip out of pan cut into 9 pieces and wrap and freeze individual servings. When I need a quick snack/dessert, I just take one out of the freezer and nuke for about 15-20 seconds....AWESOME! The brownie mix already has chips in it.

Wenmin

You have so much self-control! I have to congratulate you. Me and chocolate? There woulda been three pieces outta there the first day and that's just from moi chowing :)

freeatlast Collaborator

A friend of mine made the brownie mix and added raspberry chocolate chips to it. OMG, it was good!!!

That sounds sooooo good. Wonder where she bought the rasp. choc. chips. Have never seen them.

sa1937 Community Regular

That sounds sooooo good. Wonder where she bought the rasp. choc. chips. Have never seen them.

I'm not sure...there's a Mennonite-type store near here that used to carry them but no longer do so. I think there is another shop somewhere that carries them but have no clue where.

Wenmin Enthusiast

You have so much self-control! I have to congratulate you. Me and chocolate? There woulda been three pieces outta there the first day and that's just from moi chowing :)

I failed to tell you that I make about 3 batches.........and my significant other does not eat chocolate (yeah, I know "who doesn't eat chocolate?") But that's ok with me becasue I never have to worry about him eating my things. I eat lots of chocloate!

Maybe you could order some online or make a request at your grocery store to the manager? Good luck!

Just not available in Canada. I have tried ordering from the General mills site but they don't ship to canada I can buy them and ship a package to anyone in the States...but that doesnt help me :( I signed a petition last week to hopefully bring them here. I can't get Chex cereal or bisquick either. And I know the Chex has been available for a while. If anyone hears of a site where I can buy them from Please let me know :)

freeatlast Collaborator

Just not available in Canada. I have tried ordering from the General mills site but they don't ship to canada I can buy them and ship a package to anyone in the States...but that doesnt help me :( I signed a petition last week to hopefully bring them here. I can't get Chex cereal or bisquick either. And I know the Chex has been available for a while. If anyone hears of a site where I can buy them from Please let me know :)

Have you asked your local grocery stores where you shop regularly to start carrying them? That's always worked for me.

NateJ Contributor

yeah sometimes you can find a 2nd hand distributor or store that will order it just for you.

There is a bakery here in STL called Andrea's gluten-free and they will ship your order to a grocer or market and you can pick it up. Maybe someone on the site could put together a package for you if that doesn't work. There seems to be a lot of helpful nice people on here.

Have you asked your local grocery stores where you shop regularly to start carrying them? That's always worked for me.

Do you live in Canada too? Have the stores gotten in products for you such as chex and Betty Crocker cake mixes? that would be fabulous if they did.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Do you remember what kind of candy bars she used?

I bet you could frost them with a chocolate ganache glaze, too, which is so easy to make and so sinfully rich. Or how about Andes Mints?

I believe she used Symphony toffee almond candy bars by hershey. I think you could use anything gluten-free. Pour half the batter in then add any gluten-free candy bar, pour the rest on top. Then why not use a galze....Yum! ;)

freeatlast Collaborator

Do you live in Canada too? Have the stores gotten in products for you such as chex and Betty Crocker cake mixes? that would be fabulous if they did.

Nope, but I am a firm believer in the squeaky wheel gets the grease theory.

sa1937 Community Regular

I believe she used Symphony toffee almond candy bars by hershey. I think you could use anything gluten-free. Pour half the batter in then add any gluten-free candy bar, pour the rest on top. Then why not use a galze....Yum! ;)

Thanks! They must be delicious!

larry mac Enthusiast

They are a tad tricky to bake. I've made them and didn't cook them long enough and they were too wet for my tastes. I think as with anything gluten-free it's often a compromise. When they're perfectly done you get a slightly drier and chewier outer perimeter (which I prefer), ie. the brownies on the outside part of the baking pan. And the brownies on the inner part of the pan are more moist and soft, much richer and also very delicious.

I've also made the cookies several times, and they are very good IMO. I've never had any reactions to them. I put lots of nuts in mine and bake them a little longer as I like a crisp cookie. They are very difficult to keep crisp however. I finally found that if I use a locking tupperware type product such as the more expensive Rubbermade and Sterilyte products, the cookies can stay crispy for several days (about as long as it takes me to eat them all).

best regards, lm

angel9165 Newbie

I love the brownies as well! When I treat myself, I frost them with gluten-free Betty Crocker icing. Paula Dean made brownies once and put candy bars in the middle. I thought that would be a good idea to kick up the gluten-free brownie mix, but haven't tried it.

What is in canned frosting that is bad for a celiac? I'm 6 months in and doing well with the obvious but I think I need a lot of work on the not-so-obvious. Have my first follow-up w/ the GI doc this Friday and I'm a bit nervous. :(

Archived