28 replies to this topic

#1 NateJ

NateJ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

Just wanted to post that the Betty Crocker Brownie mix is amazing. Tastes so good like real brownies.
I found the mix at the grocery store (Schnucks in St. Louis). They also have cake and cookie mixes.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

Just wanted to post that the Betty Crocker Brownie mix is amazing. Tastes so good like real brownies.
I found the mix at the grocery store (Schnucks in St. Louis). They also have cake and cookie mixes.

I like the brownies, too :)
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#3 NateJ

NateJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

yep! just don't use to big a pan. I used an 11x7 and they were sort of thin.But still taste awesome!!
so excited. brownies today and I found out fruity pebbles are gluten free and they make little fruity pebble snack treats!!!!

#4 MNMAC

MNMAC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

The cookies were very good also except after eating a couple the first time I had some stomach pain, tried again a few days later and wound up with bad cramps. Made sure everything was on the up and up with gluten-free and pans, unless something else caused the trouble. Sorry to be a downer, I will try the brownies next.

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

The brownies are also good if you add chocolate chips to them. :D

If you like Fruity Pebbles, you may also like Cocoa Pebbles (be sure the boxes are marked gluten-free as they haven't been gluten-free for that long). There's another kind available, too, and I can't think of the name of it. There's also another kind that's not gluten-free. The boxes are well labeled though...just make sure it's marked gluten-free.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#6 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

I wish we could get Betty crocker mixes and fruity pebbles here in Canada :(

#7 NateJ

NateJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

I think they are fairly new. And its only at one local grocery that I've seen. Maybe they will come to Canada soon!

The pebbles were definitley marked. I saw someone post on here about them and immediatley drove to the store.
And inside was a free fruity pebbles snack bar, that was also labeled gluten free! I was so excited like a little kid getting a cool toy in my cereal box!

#8 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

I make a pan of 8x8 of the brownie mix. Let it cool completely ( I let it sit on my counter for about a day or two) flip out of pan cut into 9 pieces and wrap and freeze individual servings. When I need a quick snack/dessert, I just take one out of the freezer and nuke for about 15-20 seconds....AWESOME! The brownie mix already has chips in it.

Wenmin

#9 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:04 AM

A friend of mine made the brownie mix and added raspberry chocolate chips to it. OMG, it was good!!!
Sylvia

#10 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:16 AM

I love the brownies as well! When I treat myself, I frost them with gluten-free Betty Crocker icing. Paula Dean made brownies once and put candy bars in the middle. I thought that would be a good idea to kick up the gluten-free brownie mix, but haven't tried it.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#11 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:41 AM

Do you remember what kind of candy bars she used?

I bet you could frost them with a chocolate ganache glaze, too, which is so easy to make and so sinfully rich. Or how about Andes Mints?
Sylvia

#12 brendygirl

brendygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:06 AM

I wish we could get Betty crocker mixes and fruity pebbles here in Canada :(

Maybe you could order some online or make a request at your grocery store to the manager? Good luck!

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

#13 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

I make a pan of 8x8 of the brownie mix. Let it cool completely ( I let it sit on my counter for about a day or two) flip out of pan cut into 9 pieces and wrap and freeze individual servings. When I need a quick snack/dessert, I just take one out of the freezer and nuke for about 15-20 seconds....AWESOME! The brownie mix already has chips in it.

Wenmin

You have so much self-control! I have to congratulate you. Me and chocolate? There woulda been three pieces outta there the first day and that's just from moi chowing :)

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#14 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

A friend of mine made the brownie mix and added raspberry chocolate chips to it. OMG, it was good!!!

That sounds sooooo good. Wonder where she bought the rasp. choc. chips. Have never seen them.

#15 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

That sounds sooooo good. Wonder where she bought the rasp. choc. chips. Have never seen them.

I'm not sure...there's a Mennonite-type store near here that used to carry them but no longer do so. I think there is another shop somewhere that carries them but have no clue where.
Sylvia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: