This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bilirubin"s Are Climbing?

cahill

cahill Collaborator

I have ended up in the ER twice this week, Once on Wednesday night and then again today.My symptoms include dizziness ,nausea,abdominal pain and then today additional to those symptoms I developed slight jaundice

The only thing that the doc's have found is my bilirubins are climbing. They did a CT scan today of my liver and it did not show any blocked ducts or anything out of the ordinary.

I am having an ultrasound the first of next week

my test results Wednesday were:

total bilirubins 1.5 expected range 0.3- 1.2

direct bilirubins 0.2 expected range 0.0-0.4

today (Friday )they were;

total bilirubins 2.0 expect range 0.3-1.2

direct bilirubin 0.2 expect range 0.0-0.4

my tsh-3rd generation was 6.26 expected ranges 0.34-5.60

every thing else showed within normal ranges

the ER doc released me back to my family doc whom I am to call and see Monday

I am concerned ,,is there anything I should be watching for?

Is elevated bilirubins normal for celiacs ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mothering3 Apprentice

I don't know if its normal, but I just got diagnosed with celiac through a blood test. I did not have the classical celiac symptoms. I had malaise, fatigue, infections, nausea and vomiting. The fist thing that showed up abnormal was bilirubin in my urine. My doctor ran the blood work for liver function and found it impaired. After that, she looked at a number of things including hepatitis, mono, elevated metals and autoimmune problems including celiac. Celiac was positive. So I guess liver stuff is pretty much all I have right now, as far as I can tell. My liver ultrasound was normal.

I am interested in what other people share on this thread because I am trying to learn more about how celiac affects the liver.

cahill Collaborator

the other question I have is;; what is in the stuff they make you drink for the CT scan???? I have had MAJOR D since they did the CT scan and I am not sure if it related to what I had to drink for the CT scan or something else..I did NOT let them do the contrast (( the IV stuff)) because I am iodine sensitive.

cahill Collaborator

I don't know if its normal, but I just got diagnosed with celiac through a blood test. I did not have the classical celiac symptoms. I had malaise, fatigue, infections, nausea and vomiting. The fist thing that showed up abnormal was bilirubin in my urine. My doctor ran the blood work for liver function and found it impaired. After that, she looked at a number of things including hepatitis, mono, elevated metals and autoimmune problems including celiac. Celiac was positive. So I guess liver stuff is pretty much all I have right now, as far as I can tell. My liver ultrasound was normal.

I am interested in what other people share on this thread because I am trying to learn more about how celiac affects the liver.

Hi, mothering3,, you will find a great amount of knowledge and support in these forums,, WELCOME :)

sa1937 Community Regular

the other question I have is;; what is in the stuff they make you drink for the CT scan???? I have had MAJOR D since they did the CT scan and I am not sure if it related to what I had to drink for the CT scan or something else..I did NOT let them do the contrast (( the IV stuff)) because I am iodine sensitive.

Probably a barium sulfate solution...don't know if there are other kinds that might be used. I had VoLumen for an abdominal CT scan and confirmed beforehand that it is gluten-free although I sure ended up with the Big D, too.

cahill Collaborator

Probably a barium sulfate solution...don't know if there are other kinds that might be used. I had VoLumen for an abdominal CT scan and confirmed beforehand that it is gluten-free although I sure ended up with the Big D, too.

thanks sylvia, :)

Mothering3 Apprentice

Thanks!

Hi, mothering3,, you will find a great amount of knowledge and supports in these forums,, WELCOME :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

suen Newbie

I have ended up in the ER twice this week, Once on Wednesday night and then again today.My symptoms include dizziness ,nausea,abdominal pain and then today additional to those symptoms I developed slight jaundice

The only thing that the doc's have found is my bilirubins are climbing. They did a CT scan today of my liver and it did not show any blocked ducts or anything out of the ordinary.

I am having an ultrasound the first of next week

Hi,

I had a raised bilirubin count four years ago which is when I can trace the beginnings of my gluten sensitivity. Last June my ALT and AST levels were also high, with the bilirubin remaining high. I underwent an ultrasound to ensure my internal organs were fine, which they were. I did some research and came to the conclusion that gluten was a problem. I couldn't get the doctor to approve a biopsy...blood test only which came back negative. I was SO miserable that I went off gluten, following the doctor's advice, figuring I could always go back on. NOT! Trace amounts are debilitating. Anyway, my blood panel came back last month, 8 months after going gluten free, and my liver #'s are all normal. I guess I don't have Gilbert's syndrome after all, ha.ha. I now have no more diarreah, no more insomnea, no more foot pain, no more brain fog, and I feel ten years younger. I am, however, plagued by odd looks and snide comments from doctors as I try to get my children and my mother tested. "Oh, you're one of those...self-diagnosed!" Too bad my first doctor didn't listen to me.

crimbles Newbie

yeah, It seems food alergies are just not supported by doctors... Open Original Shared Link

I hope that everything works out for you!

Archived