15 replies to this topic

#16 Nantzie

Nantzie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:56 PM

I just wrote about this on another thread, but wanted to let you know about it too because it wasn't in the weight area.

I've had a really hard time losing weight over the last several years. Yo-yo'd on a bunch of stuff, until I messed up my metabolism to the point where I wasn't losing any weight on a 1200 calorie a day diet, even though I was walking 3-4 miles 4-5 days a week. I'm serious. That was awful. Started researching The Six Week Body Makeover (yep, the infomercial). Found out they had a HUGE free message board (hundreds of thousands of posts) and you don't even have to order it to be on the message board. The address is www.provida.com and the message board area is called the Chat Forum. They won't let people post very specific stuff on there, like menus, but they let people post enough that you can kind of get the idea of how it works. One of the main parts of it is - no sugar, no salt, no WHEAT, no dairy and no oil. The only thing that I remember that would have been a problem for celiac disease that people eat a lot of on that diet is oatmeal. And I didn't really eat it because I've never been an oatmeal person. I did potatoes, rice or sweet potatoes for my carbs, so there's plenty of variety there for that food group.

For the first couple weeks, the weight comes off quickly, with quite a few people losing 7-10 pounds in the first week. They say that that is usually bloat, water weight, etc. After that it's about 3-4 pounds a week and you can see a steady consistent weight loss.

I ended up losing about 30 pounds on that diet and was able to keep it off pretty easily. I fluctuated about 5 pounds +/- and stayed that way for about six months. I was planning on going back on it to lose maybe another 10 or 20. But then my dad got cancer and passed away, so during that time I dove headfirst into fast food, junk food and candy, etc., and gained all the weight back. I haven't gone back on it since my dad died because I'm just not ready. But it's definitely become my "go to" diet.

It's been a while since I've been on that diet, but I do think I remember people on the provida boards mentioning a similarity with the GI index. You might want to ask on those boards or search to see if you can find a thread on it.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: