4 replies to this topic

#1 joej1

joej1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

Does anybody else on here have experience with eliminating/identifying food intolerances by using the Cocoa pulse testing? testing your pulse before a meal, then after 15 and 30 minutes? I just started doing this today and i think its going to be a huge help.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

If you have a serious allergy, it'll make your heart beat significantly faster when you are exposed. However, this only applies to a serious allergy, not to mild allergies or intolerances. With those, I don't think a pulse test will do much better than random guessing. And I can say this one with experience, actually.

I was reacting horribly to a lot of foods, where I couldn't breathe after eating a number of them. Because everything I was trying to eat seemed to affect my breathing, I was supposed to do this type of pulse thing myself with any introduction of a new food to my diet, to make sure I wasn't reacting or heading to anaphylactic places.

With all foods that I am mildly allergic to or intolerant to, which give me joint pain, the runs, sore throat and flu symptoms and sometimes even hives, I never once had my heart rate increase, and I had to do this with every new food, every day, for months.

Serious allergies, again, it will likely catch. But you'd probably be noticing these already with some serious reactions to them. Mild allergies and intolerances are gonna slip right through this one, though. The food journal part of it would probably help more with tracking down those.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#3 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

ooooohhh- this sounds very interesting. i didnt know there was a theory already on "pulse testing".. all i know is that in the past 6 months- ive become aware of my heart rate going crazy after eating. i used to think that it was from overeating- and then my system was working hard.. cause it seems to mildly elevate a lot- after a big meal.

the first time i really noticed a substantial elevated pulse was the day before i went 100% gluten free- June 30 last year- i got some fried shrimp from cheesecake factory- before i was even 2/3 done with it- i had to put it down and lay down on the couch with an ice pack on my head. i had extreme nausea- and my heart was pounding- so i counted it- and my heart rate per min was 160 something!

since then i have noticed increased heart rate after eating corn products

ive recently developed an allergy to raw carrots- but i dont remember my heart rate going up?? just hot & breaking out in hives. ??
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#4 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

I tried that myself. The only thing my pulse reacts to is soy and I have a lot of other food intolerences. To me it's not very reliable at all.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#5 joej1

joej1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

Really? I have been trying it for 2 days and have already pinpointed eggs and brazil nuts as possible offenders. Check your pulse on an empty stomach before eating. Then immediately after eating a food. Then 15, 30 after that. It seems to work for me. I'm going to repeat the test with any possible offenders to double check. It seems like i have 2 typical reactions. Either my pulse stays exactly the same or it jumps up about 5-6 points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: