This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Been Gluten Free But Getting Sick Again... Help

annabanana

annabanana Newbie

Hello, so I'm a 24 year old female with Celiac's. I was diagnosed when I was 15 so I've have gotten a handle of the diet and have been fine, but lately I been getting diarrhea, bloating, gas, all for multiple days at a time. Its gotten to the point where I can feel myself becoming malnourished and I've been trying to supplement my diet with lots of protein drinks and vitamins, but I just can't shake the digestion problems and I know I haven't eaten anything that would cause me to be sick like this, for this long. Any suggestions? I'm also allergic to dairy, and I know my body can't handle the high fat content of pork and some beef cuts so I do avoid those, I'm just hitting a wall as to what it could be.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

magnesium Newbie

Hi i might be able to help you i have celiac disease and all of my family as well.interestingly we all got better on the diet for a while but then slowly started having more ploblems just like you stated.i will try to keep this as short as i can.i am only guessing your diet was probaly similar to ours [low fat high fibre high carb low protien]sorry if i am wrong.my family and i changed to a different way of eating and it changed everything.you see the modern celiac diet is a bit of a trap because to many high sugar high carbohydrate snacks and foods.there are strong links between celiac disease and candida ablicans because we have weekend immune systems candida are bad bateria that live in us they feed off sugar and carbo,s and mutiply to the point where the will make you sick like you are discribing similar to celiac disease itself i believe this is what they call refractive celiac disease.never happenned much years ago because the gluten free diet didnt have all the high sugar carbo meals we do now.now try and be open minded because this was hard for me at first but to kill candida you need to eat a very low carbohydrate high protien and high fat diet this starves the bateria and they slowly die off.killing candida is not a lot of fun causes strange reactions but eventually it works all of us now are so much better .basic diet meat,vegatable small amounts of fruit 2 tops because there high in natural sugars, nuts, eggs and thats it i have done this for 2 years and i feel great.this is how our ansestors ate and they had no disease.sorry it was long feel free to ask me any quetions.thanks. by the way the is a lot of good information about this diet and candida on the internet check it out buy.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Have you tried eliminating the other food allergens? Soy, nightshades, fish, shellfish, nuts, peanuts, eggs?

Soy effects me terribly. I have other food intolerances too. They may not show up on allergy testing if they aren't true allergies, but they can make you just as sick as Celiac.

If you have insurance check for other GI bacteria. Several can make you really sick. They have tests for some of these. Medication is the only answer in some of these situations. You could do food allergy testing if you think that might help and you have insurance. If you don't have insurance...eliminate the big 8 allergens, then corn, and see how you do adding them back in one at a time.

Also, some people have responded really well to the SBC Specific Carbohydrate Diet. There is a website for it and also a lot of folks here who are grain free and have written posts on the SBC diet. It is a grainfree diet but some do not get well until they go that route.

Salicylic acid and food preservatives and dyes can also cause your symptoms. It sounds like you have developed other allergies or intolerances. I'm sorry you are feeling so badly after being gluten free for so long.

Might be something wrong inside. If I had a GI I would ask for the scopes and some tests for other things that can cause the symptoms.

Also, have your vitamin levels checked to see if you are deficient in anything. Thyroid levels would be helpful too.

Archived