This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thinking Of Going Vegetarian

Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

I've never eaten a lot of meat but I've always eaten some. So I have just a few reservations about going meat free.

My father likes to cook and to him it's not a meal without meat. He cooks once maybe twice a week. I'm wondering if it would be too much of a burden on him (the only gluten eater in the household) for me to also eliminate meat from my diet.

I'm also concerned because I keep reading posts from ex-vegetarians on this board. People who were meat free but because they went gluten free added meat back to their diets.

I've only been gluten free since November. I think this would be a good time to go Vegetarian as it seems all the pre-prepared food I eat says Vegan on the label. (I had to eliminate dairy also) On the other hand having limited my diet as much as I have because of the gluten my friends and family are very worried about the idea of my giving up meat.

Any thoughts? Advise? Etc..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ElseB Contributor

I was vegetarian for 8 years and within a 2 months of being diagnosed with Celiac I started eating meat. I decided that one food restriction was enough. I've been in so many situations where the choices were eat meat or eat nothing. I'll take the meat thank you very much! I will clarify though that I was never was a vegetarian for ethical reasons and so I understand that that's a big thing for some people. I simply never felt well after eating meat. But I have no problems now. I think it was probably just the undiagnosed celiac that was affecting my body's ability to digest certain things.

iamsarar Rookie

I am a newly diagnosed Vegetarian and i Had thought about adding meat to my diet again. I had bought some to add to a sauce I was cooking. When I took it out of the pack I started to gag but I continued to cook it. When we sat down for dinner no one liked the taste or texture. I haven't cooked any again and don't feel I need to. I like the way I feel when I didn't have meat in my meal. Tell your dad you are on a path to healthy eating and not eating meat right now will help get you there. For me, when I ate meat it just sat in my tummy like a rock. Maybe when he is cooking he can put some aside before adding the meat. Like if he is making a sauce, put a little in another pan before adding the meat. Before I became a vegetarian my daughter was a non-meat eater and this is what I would do for her. If I made tacos I would make hers with rice and bean. Now though, we all eat the same. When I had talked to the doctor about eating meat again she said "why? you are so healthy with out it look at all you blood work" That was good enough for me!

Maybe help your dad do some of the cooking and show him some ideas. For me and my family I think vegetarian eating is the healthiest and the best. It isn't for everyone though. You might need to do some of your own cooking but if you are thinking about trying it I think you for go for it!

starrytrekchic Apprentice

I've been veggie 14 years and gluten free 1 and 1/2. I haven't had a problem with it, nor have I felt the need to add meat back to make things easier or anything like that.

My fam has always been super supportive, both about me being veggie and gluten free (I'm the only one for both.) I don't ask them to fix anything special, but sometimes they do anyway. Generally, I just make my own meals, or I have what they're having minus the parts I can't eat. If I were you, I'd eat anything your dad cooks that you can (so as not to hurt his feelings) and then substitute other things if necessary.

Are you dairy free for good or just while you're healing? If it's just while you're healing, you might want to add small amounts back into your diet to see what you can tolerate. Personally, I'd have a very difficult time going dairy free as well, on top of the vegetarian and gluten-free restrictions.

RideAllWays Enthusiast

I eat a vegan diet and am gluten and soy free. It is definitely possible, if you want any recipes message me. Chickpeas are probably the best invention ever. I've been gluten free for over two years now. It's nearly impossible to eat at restaurants while vegan (except for salad, always check the dressing) but vegeterian would be much easier, if you can handle eggs and dairy. It's fully do-able, and if it's what you want then go for it!

cahill Collaborator

if you can tolerate legumes (beans) vegan or vegetarian is totally doable . I would suggest caution with soy though,

this was one of my favorite recipe web sites when I was vegan

Open Original Shared Link

gf-soph Apprentice

As long as you can cover your nutritional needs there's no reason not to go vegetatrian. Some people go back to meat if they have problems with dairy or soy, but it's a personal choice. Since you aren't eating dairy, you need to make sure you can eat legumes and some soy to replace meat. If you can, you will be fine. I would advise getting your iron and B12 levels checked to make sure they are fine, just because it requires a little more planning to keep those levels strong, and you need to know if you are low to start with.

If you're concerned about inconveniencing your dad, why not learn how to cook a couple of meals that you can freeze, that way when your dad is cooking you can defrost your food and eat any vegetarian part of his meal. Also, once you start making some tasty and filling vegetarian meals you might have a convert. Myself, my mum and sister are vegetarian, and my dad eats meat. He loves veggie meals like dhal and curries, he eats meat a few times a week only.

It is totally possible to be a very healthy vegetarian, just make sure you keep an eye on your nutrition. Your family and friends will come round when they see you eating well and being healthy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

Thank you all! I really appreciate all the insight and support. You have been very encouraging. Hopefully I can add back dairy sometime. I can tolerate beans very well. (knock on wood) I want to go vegetarian both for the animals and my health.

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

if you can tolerate legumes (beans) vegan or vegetarian is totally doable . I would suggest caution with soy though,

this was one of my favorite recipe web sites when I was vegan

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for the link. :)

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

I eat a vegan diet and am gluten and soy free. It is definitely possible, if you want any recipes message me. Chickpeas are probably the best invention ever. I've been gluten free for over two years now. It's nearly impossible to eat at restaurants while vegan (except for salad, always check the dressing) but vegeterian would be much easier, if you can handle eggs and dairy. It's fully do-able, and if it's what you want then go for it!

Thank you. I might just take you up on some recipes soon. :)

crimbles Newbie

I tend to stick to a pescatarian diet, with no dairy. Its nice to have some savory fish every once in a while, its definitely a healthy treat! I think that if you want to eliminate meat, maybe you should try eliminating red meat and pork first. those two are least healthy for you and the mass farming of pigs and cows is most harmful to the environment. I stick to free range chicken, eggs and fish.

Also, pre made and frozen meals can end up being really bad for you, no matter how healthy they seem. Take some vegan cooking classes and get creative, freeze the leftovers and then you can always be sure what is going into your body!

Juliebove Rising Star

I don't have to be gluten-free. My daugher does. For the most part I do eat gluten-free along with her but once in a while I have my cereal or bread.

I was a vegetarian for many years. I loved the diet. LOVED it! But I kept getting anemia. So now I find I have to eat meat a couple of times a week. Otherwise most of my meals are still vegetarian.

My mom never made special meals for me. She did cook pretty plain foods. So I would just eat the vegetables and then if the meal wasn't vegetarian (she did cook some vegetarian meals) then I would just eat some cheese or nuts for protein.

• 1 month later...
Marie1976 Enthusiast

Don't know if you're still thinking about this but I thought I'd offer my two cents:

I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years and a vegan for about 10 years. I was recently diagnosed celiac and even though I'm having a tough time with the gluten free diet so far, I will never (willingly) eat meat again.

I am vegan for ethical reasons, but I've also learned that it's better for the environment and for your health to not eat animal products.

Becoming a vegetarian was easy for me. I never really liked meat that much. And it's pretty easy to tell what has meat in it and what doesn't.

Becoming a vegan was harder at first, because you really have to read the ingredients, but after a while even that is not such a big deal. I think everyone has their usual groceries they buy and recipes they make and after I learned how to cook good vegan food, I started buying the same stuff and making my favorite recipes. Once in a while I try a new recipe but usually I make the same stuff: tacos, veggie burgers, lasagna, stir fry, etc.

Of course now I have to overhaul all of that now that I'm gluten free so it's back to the drawing board... I'm mostly worried about eating out.

Anyway, that was more than two cents, good luck on your decision! :)

• 3 weeks later...
mbrookes Community Regular

My ancestors did not claw their way to the top of the food chain so I could eat twigs and leaves. The reason people get anemic when they don't eat meat is that our bodies are designed to eat a wide variety of foods, including meat, to fill our nutritional needs. I understand that many people do not agree with me, but that's all part of life.

sb2178 Enthusiast

I was raised vegetarian, and as an adult was almost entirely vegetarian (exceptions for some travel and fish). When I start having gluten issues I ended up adding meat back in-- first, to deal with the pre-dianosis anemia; second, because I was actually digesting lean meats when I wasn't digesting a whole lot else. After having regained some weight (was not happening on grains/veg/beans/nuts/chocolate based diet), I'm now back to being mostly vegetarian. In another month or two, I'll probably be entirely vegetarian and dairy-lite (pecorino romano...basically it) with the exception of some sustainably caught tuna and salmon.

I'm not a fan of gums in baking, though, so I depend on eggs there and will never be vegan.

It is very feasible, especially if you cook. Get something fortified with b-12 or take a supplement, and consider iron/calcium if they aren't too high in your diet. Especially while still in the "healing" range, extra nutrients are probably helpful. As always, consult your PCP/GP etc.

I'll also happily send links to blogs/recipe if you'd like them! Message me with the sorts of foods you like.

• 1 year later...
Mindala Newbie

Hi, this is Fire Fairy. I can't seem to get back into my old account. This thread looks like a good spot to update everyone on what I've been up to and ask for some feedback. Doubt I can make this long story short but I'll try.

I did the vegetarian diet all the way through Lent in 2011. At the end of Lent meat tasted like ash to me. I was eating a lot more eggs to make up for not having meat and realized I had an intolerance to that as well. In June 2011 I went completely Vegan. I've made lots of new Vegan friends online and have seen and read enough that I will most likely never eat meat again. Going Vegan was a big step and I thought it out for a long time. It was a direction I choose because I felt at the time I was the only person it affected. That wasn't completely true.

My father who loves to cook has completely stopped cooking. He and my mother only had a Thanksgiving dinner after my mom put her foot down. Not only is my father not cooking, he's barely eating. And since he isn't cooking my mother (who is likely Celiac as well) is living off Chicken and Dumplins and Shells and Cheese. Neither of them will eat my food so there is no point suggesting I cook for them. Now I pretty much accepted that this was their prerogative and not all my fault but....now I have a man in my life. :) And his family bent over backwards to accommodate me at Thanksgiving. I know how hard it is to find food for someone like me so I truly appreciate all they did and tried to do. And now I'm finding there is a part of me that really wants to be able to add back the dairy and eggs to make things easier. I've not touched either in over a year now.

I know my Vegan friends would be so very upset and let down by this. The fact is I didn't give up dairy and eggs out of choice but necessity. Sure the things my Vegan friends have told/shown me about the industry are very upsetting, but if everyone was Vegetarian those problems would (assuming logic holds and supply and demand act out the way I expect) take care of themselves. I don't really want to be able to drink a glass of milk and eat scrambled eggs, I just want to be able to eat gluten free bread and similar items that most folks would assume were fine and safe for me.

All that said last time I was exposed to dairy I could not make it to the bathroom even when I was only 15 feet away but that was awhile back now. Eggs on the other hand gave me very lose stool just like Irish Moss is doing now.

So friends any thoughts? Am I being weak wanting to add these two back? By weak I mean both wanting to please others and missing some of the treats I could once more enjoy if I could add these back. Am I being ridiculous even thinking I could add them back? If I do try what would be the best way to go about it?

PS In my defense, the only "Vegan" I know in person, the only one I've actually spent time with, the one I learned what it was to be Vegan from, is my life long BFF and though she has been "Vegan" since age 18 she still consumes dairy, honey, and doesn't pay attention to eggs in products.

PSPS Vegans please don't eat me alive for this, feel free to be as critical as you want but don't get angry.

bigbird16 Apprentice

Hugs, Fire Fairy. It's natural to want to please those you love. But you gave eggs and dairy up because your body rejected them. How much fun will you be to be around if your intestines are tied in knots and you have the hershey squirts? Anyone who slams you for your diet, no matter what way you chose or need to eat, is not your friend. Your boyfriend's family not only accepts you but tried to accomodate you. The person you are is what matters. He souns like a good guy! :-)

cahill Collaborator

I was able to add both dairy and eggs back into my diet AFTER I found the rest of my intolerances and AFTER some major healing had taken place .

I am realistic enough to know that with my intolerances I will ( probaly ) not be able to vegan and healthy. Being healthy is what it is all about :) So I am grateful that eggs and dairy are something that I can currently tolerate .I am currently vegetarian and I am good with that :D

My suggestion is : if you are not showing any signs of other intolerances add dairy and eggs back ONE at a time . Keep a food journal and see how it goes.

I recently I attempted to add corn back into my diet ,,, with my system clear of other intolerances it did not take long to know that corn TRULY DOES NOT work for me :ph34r: at all :blink: ever :wacko:

Mindala Newbie

Hugs, Fire Fairy. It's natural to want to please those you love. But you gave eggs and dairy up because your body rejected them. How much fun will you be to be around if your intestines are tied in knots and you have the hershey squirts? Anyone who slams you for your diet, no matter what way you chose or need to eat, is not your friend. Your boyfriend's family not only accepts you but tried to accomodate you. The person you are is what matters. He souns like a good guy! :-)

Thank you. I plan to gently test eggs by one day eating a piece of Udi's bread. If that goes well 2 pieces, and if that goes well I'll will go from there. In the past the reaction to eggs was just very loose stool the next morning but who knows having not had any for so long it could be much worse now. Definitely going to be careful.

Mindala Newbie

I was able to add both dairy and eggs back into my diet AFTER I found the rest of my intolerances and AFTER some major healing had taken place .

I am realistic enough to know that with my intolerances I will ( probaly ) not be able to vegan and healthy. Being healthy is what it is all about :) So I am grateful that eggs and dairy are something that I can currently tolerate .I am currently vegetarian and I am good with that :D

My suggestion is : if you are not showing any signs of other intolerances add dairy and eggs back ONE at a time . Keep a food journal and see how it goes.

I recently I attempted to add corn back into my diet ,,, with my system clear of other intolerances it did not take long to know that corn TRULY DOES NOT work for me :ph34r: at all :blink: ever :wacko:

Thank you so much, your post makes me feel more at ease about this. I'm sorry you couldn't regain corn. :( I strongly suspect I'll be the same with dairy. But I won't know if I don't try. I think I'll test eggs soon but the dairy may wait until after the Holidays. My reaction to dairy has been pretty ugly and immediate.

• 2 weeks later...
GwenO Apprentice

I've been a vegetarian for about six years, not a vegan though. I started gluten free with my daughter about four months ago. Haven't had any problems - I just make sure I take my own food to work, and I am prepared to not eat a whole lot at functions. I find most restaurants these days are extremely accomodating.

codetalker Contributor

I am aligned with those that do not feel compelled to be 100% vegetarian or vegan.

For a while now at home, I’ve been vegetarian and, if it wasn’t for my love affair w/ cheese, vegan.

However, I just got back from a week in Belize and was content to simply be gluten-free. I ate fish, meat, eggs, etc. Now that I am back home, I am back to a vegetarian diet with an occasional bit of cheese.

I leave the vegetarian and vegan labels to the purists.

Archived