3 replies to this topic

#1 TSA

TSA

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:47 AM

Hello, I'm a newbie from Indiana! I suffered for a year before I was diagnosed with celiac. Its been a stuggle! I'm the only one (at the moment) that has celiac. Being a mother and wife, its difficult to grocery shop and cook for all of us. I am feeling better however other symtoms have surfaced. Not sure what "normal" is anymore! Tammy
Tammy

Celiac since Nov. 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

Hello, I'm a newbie from Indiana! I suffered for a year before I was diagnosed with celiac. Its been a stuggle! I'm the only one (at the moment) that has celiac. Being a mother and wife, its difficult to grocery shop and cook for all of us. I am feeling better however other symtoms have surfaced. Not sure what "normal" is anymore! Tammy

HI Tammy!

I don't know how old your kids are but mine are teens so we don't always eat together. I'm the only gluten-free one at our house. When we do eat together & I am fixing all the food, its usually gluten-free. Last night we had BBQ chicken, corn & salad or carrot sticks. When we do pasta together, I get a helper to keep the gluten-free & the regular pasta separate. One is responsible for the gluteny pasta. Its too easy to get confused & use the spoon from one into the other. When that isn't possible, we all eat the gluten-free pasta and no one cares.

For J's 18th birthday/superbowl party, he wanted me to make gluten-free chocolate cupcakes because they are better than alot of other ones.

I find that teen boys & a hub who isn't picky don't care if there is gluten in it or not. My boys say the main criteria is that Imake it so they don't have to cook.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Karla01

Karla01

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

Hi, I was diagnosed in August, 2010, and have a husband, and 3 teen age boys, our first meal after getting diagnosed my one son sat the table and said ok how do I eat so you dont get sick what can I touch, we were having hamburgers and there were hamburger buns on the table, we all started laughing. Its gotten easier , spagetti nights are hard have to pay attention, I liked the previous comment on having a helper, and I always drain my noodles first, I also take any left overs I want and put them in containers labeled mom so no one else touches them. It seems like alot at first, but it becomes normal after awhile.

#4 Terri O

Terri O

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

It does get easier in time! I only have been gluten-free for 2 months (almost)and am attempting to get my kitchen to a state that I can feel confident eating out of! (wow--that is a really BAD sentence) I dont know how else to say it though...I have a husband and 3 college age kids that are home on and off...they all think I am crazy. Maybe they think I am trying to push the gluten-free lifestyle on them because I frequently comment on studies that I read and such. I try to just do my "own thing." I will tell you though that it does get easier the longer you read the labels! Terri O

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: