This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Ways To Stop Scratching?

ndw3363

ndw3363 Contributor

I've noticed that if I'm somehow able to NOT scratch active lesions, that they seem to heal faster. But some of them itch SO bad that I just can't help it. This is like some type of torture!! Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to beat the sting and the itch.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I use Walgreens brand of Pain Relieving Ointment. It is Benzocaine and it numbs the lesions for a short time. It is no cure, but it brings some relief.

I will say that having given up eggs and dairy due to possible iodine content activating my lesions, I am healing much better. I don't enjoy eating this way, but I wasn't really healing all that well until I did. This is my second week with neither and there is no pain now. Sores still there, but not like stinging and burning and itching.

It is maddening, so I can handle giving up fish, eggs, and dairy for it.

Another member-Cass- recommended Ionized Silver Ointment from Whole Foods.

Hope it stops soon.

cassP Contributor

yes- i got "Sovereign Silver" first aid ointment from whole foods... it immediately stopped the itch on my DH. good luck to you :)

running-girl Rookie

Cold helps a bit. I just run a face cloth under the cold water and apply it to the itchy bit. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
ChemistMama Contributor

Sarna Lotion sensitive (the one that doesn't have menthol) has a painkiller, it works great and helps a lot.

itchy Rookie

Someone gave me some zinc oxide paste that seems to work a little bit. It seems to help a little with the itching, and it seems to have a healing effect so ultimately this is positive over the longer term.

When my skin itches (as opposed to stinging or aching) it is generally because the unhealthy skin around the lesion is drying out, I think. Anything that reverses that seems to be helpful and the thick paste seems to last a little longer.

And the zinc oxide leaves a residue on the skin that is helpful in disguising bright red blotches.

This one is from the UK and is branded 'SUDOCREM' but I suspect that it is generic and available everywhere in different brands.

SnowOwl Newbie

Hi,

Will you be able to eat food with iodine in the future or is it a lifetime thing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

In most cases, once the outbreak is under control, it is safe to consume small amounts of iodine as part of the strictly gluten-free diet.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Oh boy, I get the itchies and little bumps when I eat anything with soy and potato starch.

As long as I steer clear of those my itchiness goes away. What is really irksome is I just get them on my right shoulder blade and the back of my neck. Uuuuhhhhh. :(

krobie Newbie

Is DH triggered by iodine or gluten....? Or stress? This is the most painfully itching condition...broke out today on scalp, and every crease on torso....this is the second major outbreak in the last year. Will try the silver creme...what about antihistimine? Dislike just throwing anything into my body for relief. Calamine helps for a few hours. Help. Thanks.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

DH is triggered by both Iodine and Gluten. It can also be activated by the Sun and Stress. At least mine is. In the archives of the DH section several people say the same thing. Iodine will keep the antibodies active if you have DH. Once gluten is eliminated entirely and iodine is minimized the sores should clear up. Then you can have iodine again in the diet. however even the slightest cross-contmination can start another round of sores and activate your old lesions. Antihistamines wouldn't work on DH because it is an entirely different mechanism from an allegic reaction. This one is auto immune not allergy relatied. Antihistamines will treat allergic skin problems but will do nothing for the DH. Just my experiences...and a little reading.

krobie Newbie

DH is triggered by both Iodine and Gluten. It can also be activated by the Sun and Stress. At least mine is. In the archives of the DH section several people say the same thing. Iodine will keep the antibodies active if you have DH. Once gluten is eliminated entirely and iodine is minimized the sores should clear up. Then you can have iodine again in the diet. however even the slightest cross-contmination can start another round of sores and activate your old lesions. Antihistamines wouldn't work on DH because it is an entirely different mechanism from an allegic reaction. This one is auto immune not allergy relatied. Antihistamines will treat allergic skin problems but will do nothing for the DH. Just my experiences...and a little reading.

That answers many questions, thank you. Specifically, have been outdoors in a blissful state of gardening, and in the sun. Without iodine supplemented, I will have cardiac arrythmias,(PVC). So severe my idodine depletion, with stress (night shift work) landed me in the hospital in near cardiac arrest. Iodine is an essential diet supplementation. Have been getting gluten by means of communion host. Can get a gluten free host, will work it out.

Hmm, old lesions....another puzzle solved. And why antihistamines do not work. Despite trepidation of not having iodine in supplements, will back off. Thank you for your time and attention.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

You might really need the iodine if it caused cardiac arrhymia's and landed you in the hospital. Talk to your Dr. about the iodine. Some people say that they can heal by strictly avoiding gluten and maybe you can too if you ditch the communion wafer and sub gluten free there. That much gluten can keep you activated. I used to love gardening, but now I cannot be in the Sun without having flares in my sores. Of course mine would have to be on the sun-exposed parts...ugh. I wanna plant some flowers! Oh I do it, but I only water them when the sun goes down.

I hope you don't turn out to be sun sensitive like I am, but please post what you figure out about your DH, as it really helps all of us. Glad I could be of help.

itchy Rookie

Krobie: I'm one of the ones who believes in just going gluten free, and not avoiding iodine.

And most of my lesions are healed, though perhaps over a longer period of time. The problem with avoiding iodine is that it may mask the fact that you are still getting too much gluten, while creating iodine difficiency problems. But for some it may be worth the risk.

Stress seems to be a problem. Good sleep, lesions heal. Little sleep, lesions don't improve.

Getting a lot of sun seems to be a problem, but moderate sun exposure doesn't seem to be, for me.

krobie Newbie

Krobie: I'm one of the ones who believes in just going gluten free, and not avoiding iodine.

And most of my lesions are healed, though perhaps over a longer period of time. The problem with avoiding iodine is that it may mask the fact that you are still getting too much gluten, while creating iodine difficiency problems. But for some it may be worth the risk.

Stress seems to be a problem. Good sleep, lesions heal. Little sleep, lesions don't improve.

Getting a lot of sun seems to be a problem, but moderate sun exposure doesn't seem to be, for me.

itchy: Thank you for feedback. Apart from the communion host, have been gluten-less. Have noticed more symptoms and intolerance to being unknowningly glutinized. Vomiting, or diarrhea, and rash. Can change to non gluten host. Have not been eating any gluten for seven days. Would this(one host) be enough to outbreak in severe rash? It is ongoing this week as have been working in the garden and live in sunny climate. Also, noticed perspiration aggrevates the rash, making it feel like I am being stabbed with miniture hot pokers...and it burns with new lesions.

Have decided to see a dermatologist. I was diagnosed in 1987 by MD that said never should I eat wheat or oats, that I had absorbtion problem with digestion. That I would be living with this forever. Never said the "C" word! Just stated that I had Epstein-Barr Virus. Have had all the classic auto immune issues, including Hashimoto Thyroiditis.

Current primary care physcian said what difference did it make if having the actual diagnosis? Couldn't I just continue to not eat wheat or oats? Tested negative with the old stand by lab test...had not ingested gluten. However, had a 15 pound weight loss, and this horrific rash. The lab techs actually had to go into the lab manual and dust if off, and called a supervisor when preparing to draw for this labtest!!! I am learning from this forum that one has to be eating gluten to test conclusively.

Another physcian anonymously, stated "they" avoid that diagnosis because it could interferre with getting health insurance in future. I know this to be true with another person.

Why do I want diagnosis? Because I "fool" myself into thinking that there is nothing wrong with me. Another physcian ( I work around physcians) told me to timeline a history of ailments since 1987. What a shocker....classic Celiac (according to Mayo Clinic Website). Also, am in the risk group of Northern European heritage. Have had many of my relatives just die, spontaneously...cardiac. And at a young age, without any known high blood pressure or cardiac dysfunctions. This would be the relatives that all share B type blood. Curious.

Probably TMI, however have been feeling very isolated with these problems. Am tired of people thinking that I am a hypochondriac.....I take very good care of myself. So until this forum, have been just keeping my mouth shut, even with my PCP. KRobie.

cassP Contributor

itchy: Thank you for feedback. Apart from the communion host, have been gluten-less. Have noticed more symptoms and intolerance to being unknowningly glutinized. Vomiting, or diarrhea, and rash. Can change to non gluten host. Have not been eating any gluten for seven days. Would this(one host) be enough to outbreak in severe rash? It is ongoing this week as have been working in the garden and live in sunny climate. Also, noticed perspiration aggrevates the rash, making it feel like I am being stabbed with miniture hot pokers...and it burns with new lesions.

Have decided to see a dermatologist. I was diagnosed in 1987 by MD that said never should I eat wheat or oats, that I had absorbtion problem with digestion. That I would be living with this forever. Never said the "C" word! Just stated that I had Epstein-Barr Virus. Have had all the classic auto immune issues, including Hashimoto Thyroiditis.

Current primary care physcian said what difference did it make if having the actual diagnosis? Couldn't I just continue to not eat wheat or oats? Tested negative with the old stand by lab test...had not ingested gluten. However, had a 15 pound weight loss, and this horrific rash. The lab techs actually had to go into the lab manual and dust if off, and called a supervisor when preparing to draw for this labtest!!! I am learning from this forum that one has to be eating gluten to test conclusively.

Another physcian anonymously, stated "they" avoid that diagnosis because it could interferre with getting health insurance in future. I know this to be true with another person.

Why do I want diagnosis? Because I "fool" myself into thinking that there is nothing wrong with me. Another physcian ( I work around physcians) told me to timeline a history of ailments since 1987. What a shocker....classic Celiac (according to Mayo Clinic Website). Also, am in the risk group of Northern European heritage. Have had many of my relatives just die, spontaneously...cardiac. And at a young age, without any known high blood pressure or cardiac dysfunctions. This would be the relatives that all share B type blood. Curious.

Probably TMI, however have been feeling very isolated with these problems. Am tired of people thinking that I am a hypochondriac.....I take very good care of myself. So until this forum, have been just keeping my mouth shut, even with my PCP. KRobie.

yes- one communion host is enough to aggravate those DH bumps & blisters. are you a Celiac? do u have DH? if yes, then you should never have a gluten communion host. and also- Hashimoto's is very very common in those with Celiac.

veganchic Newbie

I have a rash that shows up on my forehead when I have gluten, it's itchy, flaky, red, inflamed, sensitive to sun, perspiration and hot showers. I went gluten free for almost four months and went back to gluten when I began to develop a new rash on my forearms. This one is different, my forearms look like they have goosebumps from the cold and are very itchy. No redness until I scratch. I questioned that it was the gluten when I discovered this new rash since I had been gluten free all that time. Going back to gluten brought back the forehead rash, only three times as bad. It spread from just my forehead to forehead, eyebrows and sides of face.

I read on a thread here somewhere that wheat in shampoos can cause problems too. It turns out my regular shampoo, Natures Gate Awapuhi is gluten free. I've used this for years. When I ran out recently I grabbed a bottle of the Natures Gate Pomegranate for a change in fragrance. I had just began using it as a body wash and shampoo. Come to find out this new one has wheat, I suspect this is the cause of the rash on my forearms. A few days ago, I went back to a gluten free diet my old shampoo and DH went to the natural food store and found a wonderful salve. It only contains two ingredients tamanu oil and beeswax. It brought me itch relief and the redness went away. I wish I would have found this sooner! I hope it can bring relief to others too.

I have an appointment this Wednesday with my doctor. I am going to request that they test me for celiac disease. I'm afraid she may also question my need for a diagnosis. :unsure:

Archived