32 replies to this topic

#1 plumbago

plumbago

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:30 PM

I thought I'd just go ahead and go for it, though probably the topic has been started a million times.

What does everyone eat for breakfast?

I am getting concerned that my morning meal might just have too much sugar. I eat lots of fruit, have a pancake and some tea. Of course I have syrup on that pancake. Oh, and often I have chicken sausage, a small amount.

Just curious what everyone else chows down on. Important for me is to feel full. When I read, pre-celiac disease diagnosis days, about people's breakfasts, I couldn't believe how paltry they sounded.

Someone recently told me a Russian saying: eat breakfast for yourself; share lunch with a friend; give dinner to your enemy.

Thanks everyone!
Plumbago

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jenn624

Jenn624

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

My breakfast of choice is Rice Chex and a banana, but I've always been a cereal girl!
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
PCOS
Epstein Barr
Vitamin D Deficient
Gallbladder removed 5/2010---that's when the gluten problems really surfaced
Gluten-Free as of 12/26/10

#3 zimmer

zimmer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

I used to be a big cereal eater for breakfast. When I first went gluten-free (only a month ago) I was STARVING in the mornings. I read a lot (mainly on this site) about how you feel more hungry at first, and also about how wheat affects your body with cravings, and I've tried to keep that in mind when I'm hungry! And, as time has passed, my usual morning hunger patterns have changed to be less intense.

Fruit & a protein - bananas and raw nuts like pecans and cashews, apples & peanut butter, raw pumpkin seeds, pineapple & cheese, yogurt & gluten-free granolas, raisins, dried apricots, craisins. Some people stop dairy for about 6 months, but I haven't had any problem with it.

There's also veggies, like raw baby carrots, sugar snap peas, other leftover cooked veggies, leftover meats, gluten-free deli ham & turkey.

If you are an egg eater, I know that is a good thing to eat.

Coffee w/milk, good quality juices with added calcium & Vit D, water

By the time I get finished munching on all that stuff, it's nearly time for lunch! :rolleyes:
Positive tTG IgA Ab, Gliadin IgA & IgG
Decided against biopsy
gluten-free 2/14/11

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

Cream of buckwheat cereal with a generous amount of cinnamon is one of my favorites. A single serving is even often too much but my little dog will scarf up whatever is left over. Scrambled eggs, a couple slices of toast and some fruit or if I am in a hurry peanut butter toast are my among staples. If I have left over pizza from the night before that is for sure what I have the next morning.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Marie1976

Marie1976

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

Protein is supposed to curb hunger/make you feel full. When I was trying to lose weight, I made sure to eat some protein with every meal so that I wouldn't have the munchies all day, and it seems to work.

I found a few vegan, gluten-free protein powders too that I am going to try when I cut gluten. I put protein powder, rice milk, bananas and frozen berries in a smoothie. I also put in soy yogurt or coconut yogurt because I'm vegan, but if you eat dairy, you could just use regular yogurt. Or you could do peanut butter smoothies if you're allowed to eat peanuts. That's extra protein.

Can you eat potatoes? Fried potatoes (hash browns, cottage fries, whatever) are filling. And yummy! ;)

#6 plumbago

plumbago

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

Cream of buckwheat cereal with a generous amount of cinnamon is one of my favorites. A single serving is even often too much but my little dog will scarf up whatever is left over. Scrambled eggs, a couple slices of toast and some fruit or if I am in a hurry peanut butter toast are my among staples. If I have left over pizza from the night before that is for sure what I have the next morning.

May I ask what brand of cream of buckwheat cereal you buy? Is it a hot cereal (I like hot cereals). I used to eat McCan's oatmeal, pre-diagnosis of course, and it was DEEE licous. (Anything approximating that would be good.)

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

Three eggs and some beans (usually half a can).
Rice cakes with peanut butter (or a sub - almond or sunflower seed, for instance).
Millet grits with almond milk and ground flax seed.
Smoothie with protein powder.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 plumbago

plumbago

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

Protein is supposed to curb hunger/make you feel full. When I was trying to lose weight, I made sure to eat some protein with every meal so that I wouldn't have the munchies all day, and it seems to work.

I found a few vegan, gluten-free protein powders too that I am going to try when I cut gluten. I put protein powder, rice milk, bananas and frozen berries in a smoothie. I also put in soy yogurt or coconut yogurt because I'm vegan, but if you eat dairy, you could just use regular yogurt. Or you could do peanut butter smoothies if you're allowed to eat peanuts. That's extra protein.

Can you eat potatoes? Fried potatoes (hash browns, cottage fries, whatever) are filling. And yummy! ;)

Yes, I can eat potatoes! And that is a very good suggestion. I could either cut up a bunch to have them ready each morning, or I could go ahead and cook them ahead of time and just re-heat. Along w/ the sausage and eggs, I believe that would constitute a filling breakfast.

Thanks!

#9 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

Protien is a must for me. It helps me keep from feeling hungry too fast.

For protien I will usually have 'fried'-- sometimes I will add cheese -- or hardboiled egg. Sometimes maybe a couple sausage links, or maybe yogurt or cottage cheese.

Cereal- wise, I go for either one of Bob's Red Mill's certified gluten-free cereals (oatmeal/ steel cut oats/ buckwheat/ quinoa) with a packet of Sun Crystals or Truvia in it. Will have to remember to try adding cinnamon next time(and see if I don't have problems w/ it)!
Sometime I will have Corn or cinnamon Chex, or one of the Envirokids' cereals (like Panda Puffs).

I have problems w/ fructose, so can't have much or any in the way of fruits, honey, agave nectar, maple, Splenda, HFCS, onion/ tomato, and anything that has brown rice in it (which a lot fo gluten-free products, including cereals, do).
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#10 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

When I eat it, it is boiled eggs, scrambled eggs and fruit. I try to eat as whole foods/ grain free as possible.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#11 DianeMu

DianeMu

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

My latest breakfasts are smoothies. I put the following in a blender. Yogurt (vanilla or something I like) banana, strawberries or any other fruit I like (Kiwi, blueberries etc.) Then a good handful of spinach. If you use bananas you don't taste the spinach at all and it helps with staying full. Blend - and it's yummy. (My kids haven't figured out why it's green yet!) I drink on the way to work.

#12 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

I'm not a gluten-free cereal fan. At all. The cereals taste like air and do not fill me. I do sometimes have Gluten Freeda banana oatmeal.

As I am a big breakfast eater, mushroom, gruyere (or goat cheese) and scallion omelette with fresh fruit salad drizzled with a touch of honey and freshly-squeezed lime juice and poppyseeds is my latest favourite. I also like scrambled eggs with a touch of bacon. Or homemade gluten-free French toast drizzled with a butter rum syrup. In the summer I'll likely have lots of smoothies (to which I will add flaxmeal). A few scone recipes are actually ok - I love them with lavender-infused honey or my lavender jelly or other preserves.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#13 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

1. Buckwheat/kasha with soy milk, almonds, berries or dried fruit. Maybe cinnamon and real maple syrup, maybe not. I'll use leftover rice or quinoa instead of the buckwheat if it needs eaten.

2. Pumpkin waffles (homemade & frozen) with nut butter. maybe fruit, maybe not.

3. Apples and peanut butter, with soymilk hot chocolate. Top it off with a few crackers, if they're handy.

4. Leftover soup. Honestly, I really like it and find it very satisfying. Bean or lentils are especially good, and it's extra credit if you get/make something with lots of vegetables in it.

5. Baked beans (desperation straight out of a can but enjoyed). Usually with some leftover rice or potato, but sometimes not even that.

6. Black beans on sweet potato.

7. Leftover frittata. Usually a green, sometimes potato, baked omelette deal.

8. Eggs occasionally otherwise, but generally only on days I'm not going to work.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#14 Mothering3

Mothering3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

I'm not a gluten-free cereal fan. At all. The cereals taste like air and do not fill me. I do sometimes have Gluten Freeda banana oatmeal.

As I am a big breakfast eater, mushroom, gruyere (or goat cheese) and scallion omelette with fresh fruit salad drizzled with a touch of honey and freshly-squeezed lime juice and poppyseeds is my latest favourite. I also like scrambled eggs with a touch of bacon. Or homemade gluten-free French toast drizzled with a butter rum syrup. In the summer I'll likely have lots of smoothies (to which I will add flaxmeal). A few scone recipes are actually ok - I love them with lavender-infused honey or my lavender jelly or other preserves.

Me? I like to eat at her house.

#15 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

Me? I like to eat at her house.

Come on over! I'll also set out homemade compound butters for your scones and pancakes. :P

I forgot - asparagus frittata is also lovely for breakfast, as is quiche - even gluten-free. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: