36 replies to this topic

#16 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

Greek yogurt with fruit most days. Pancakes with sausage sometimes on the weekend.

I had 2 slices of gluten-free toast this morning, but that was rare.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

Now that I am pregnant, I eat a bowl of Udi's cranberry granola, I split an Udi's bagel with butter and strawberry with my son, and I have a cup of coffee. I also have been known to add a string cheese to the equation :)

Before that it was usually yogurt, orange juice, and toast and butter (Udi's toast).
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#18 glutenfreesavvy

glutenfreesavvy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hi Plumbago!

I totally agree with that Russian saying... :-)

Let me preface my breakfast comments with a brief history - so you'll know where I'm coming from. Growing up, I was not a breakfast eater. Looking back, I think it was because most mornings we were rushed to get to school & such, so breakfast was just a load of gluten. Cereals, toast & such...I didn't connect it back then, but it made me feel worse to eat. So, I just skipped breakfast & starved til lunch. :rolleyes:

Since I've been gluten-free, I've become a breakfast monster. I cannot stand to miss it & will feel worse if I do. I love eating a humongous breakfast, a lighter lunch (but still substantial) & then a light dinner.

Some of the favorites of our family are:

Smoothies made with homemade kefir, frozen fruit, egg yolks, maca powder, coconut milk & chia seeds

Julia Child's omelets - she inspired my 14 year old daughter to get up early & make breakfast almost every morning. I was shocked. :) So, we, uhh I mean my daughter, makes the traditional omelettes with various fillings - many times from leftover meats & veggies - spinach & other greens, ground beef, potatoes, cheese,etc...whatever we have on hand, actually. Also, we esp. like the stacked omelette - yummy & a great make ahead dish. It reheats beautifully.

Eggs in many forms - we have to change it around a bit, because we get tired of the same types of eggs over & over

Scones & biscuits with eggs & sausage or beef bacon

Sausage & gravy is a fav with the kids, but we don't eat that regularly.

Kids would love pancakes & waffles every week - but I try to avoid a lot of sugar, so we only make them occasionally.
Although, we do eat fruit with most of the above options as well.

We also drink lots of fresh organic milk that's fed only grass & hay - no grain - & it works well for us, except for my son. He does better on fresh goat milk.

If it were up to just me & hubby, we would have a huge smoothie each morning with an occasional deviation. Smoothies are my absolute fav - quick, easy & yummy. My kids, however, prefer other breakfast options.

Great topic!! I'll be very interested to see what other folks eat for breakfast.

Faydra :)

I thought I'd just go ahead and go for it, though probably the topic has been started a million times.

What does everyone eat for breakfast?

I am getting concerned that my morning meal might just have too much sugar. I eat lots of fruit, have a pancake and some tea. Of course I have syrup on that pancake. Oh, and often I have chicken sausage, a small amount.

Just curious what everyone else chows down on. Important for me is to feel full. When I read, pre-celiac disease diagnosis days, about people's breakfasts, I couldn't believe how paltry they sounded.

Someone recently told me a Russian saying: eat breakfast for yourself; share lunch with a friend; give dinner to your enemy.

Thanks everyone!
Plumbago

Living Gluten Free Since January 2007
Within that 1st year, learned my 4 children & hubby were reacting to gluten as well.
I love to cook nutrient dense foods directly from the people who produce it.
Avid researcher & will spend hours reading books, research papers, scouring the internet, whatever it takes to answer my many questions about gluten intolerance & celiac disease.

Make Your Day Great!

#19 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

mmmm..... some great, yummy sounding ideas!!

2. Pumpkin waffles (homemade & frozen) with nut butter. maybe fruit, maybe not.

would you mind sharing the recipe for those (if possible)... they sound yummy, and I have LOTS of pumpkin taking up space in my freezer!!
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#20 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:34 AM

May I ask what brand of cream of buckwheat cereal you buy? Is it a hot cereal (I like hot cereals). I used to eat McCan's oatmeal, pre-diagnosis of course, and it was DEEE licous. (Anything approximating that would be good.)

I use Pocono. It is grown in dedicated fields, harvested with dedicated equipment and processed in a plant that only processes buckwheat. No chance of CC at all with them. A bonus for me is that it is grown and processed not far from where I live so I go and buy huge bags of the hulls every spring for buckwheat pillows and mulch.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#21 TSA

TSA

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:18 AM

I thought I'd just go ahead and go for it, though probably the topic has been started a million times.

What does everyone eat for breakfast?

I am getting concerned that my morning meal might just have too much sugar. I eat lots of fruit, have a pancake and some tea. Of course I have syrup on that pancake. Oh, and often I have chicken sausage, a small amount.

Just curious what everyone else chows down on. Important for me is to feel full. When I read, pre-celiac disease diagnosis days, about people's breakfasts, I couldn't believe how paltry they sounded.

Someone recently told me a Russian saying: eat breakfast for yourself; share lunch with a friend; give dinner to your enemy.

Thanks everyone!
Plumbago

Plumbago,

Its usually Chex cereal w/milk or yogurt during the week. I'm a mother of 2 teenagers and work a full time job so I do not have alot of time in the mornings. On the weekends, I'll go for eggs. I know its hard but reading some of the responces, there are some great ideas that I'm going to start trying! Thanks to everyone! Tammy
Tammy

Celiac since Nov. 2010

#22 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:24 AM

Most mornings I eat 2% Greek yogurt with slightly thawed frozen raspberries and a small handful of nuts. On weekends I like to make egg sandwiches. Just fried egg with white cheddar and jelly on Udi's toast. Sometimes I make pancakes. Another favorite is Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal cooked with blueberries, stevia, and pecans.

#23 BethJ

BethJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

My usual every day breakfast . . . scrambled Eggbeaters or egg whites, a slice or two of deli smoked turkey and a piece of low-fat cheese between two corn tortillas heated in the microwave. It's high protein, has calcium, is low fat, low calorie and low carb. It also keeps me full until noon. Posted Image
Beth in Florida

Gluten-free since 7/19/08
Alcohol free since 6/28/10

#24 glutenfreesavvy

glutenfreesavvy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

I use Pocono. It is grown in dedicated fields, harvested with dedicated equipment and processed in a plant that only processes buckwheat. No chance of CC at all with them. A bonus for me is that it is grown and processed not far from where I live so I go and buy huge bags of the hulls every spring for buckwheat pillows and mulch.

Thanks so much for sharing this info! I've had reactions to buckwheat before & would love to use buckwheat again. :)
Living Gluten Free Since January 2007
Within that 1st year, learned my 4 children & hubby were reacting to gluten as well.
I love to cook nutrient dense foods directly from the people who produce it.
Avid researcher & will spend hours reading books, research papers, scouring the internet, whatever it takes to answer my many questions about gluten intolerance & celiac disease.

Make Your Day Great!

#25 Terri O

Terri O

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:48 PM

My fave right now had been a rice cake smeared with hazelnut butter! MMMM--and lots of coffee. If I am home I will make omelets or scrambled eggs--maybe a fritatta.
I am thankful that I keep chickens so I have PLENTY of great eggs for breakfast or dinner (or lunch--if I do lunch that day!) Terri O

#26 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:27 PM

I'm not the one with the gluten issues. But I don't usually eat a big breakfast. Today I had cottage cheese and toast. Sometimes I had cereal. Yesterday I had an upset stomach so just plain rice. Sometimes I have polenta with tomato sauce.

Daughter is the one with gluten issues. She doesn't much like breakfast. Lately she has been eating apples and carrots. Once in a while I'll make bacon and we'll both have that.

#27 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

Monday - Friday it's a quick bowl of Chex with 2% milk. And coffee of course (with Truvia).

Weekends might be either buttered toasted Udi's bread, or toasted Udi's bagel, with jam or agave syrup. And perhaps eggs & bacon. Or breakfast tacos with scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese, and homemade salsa.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#28 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:16 PM

I had to leave dairy and eggs so that limited my breakfasts.

Lately it's these cookies for breakfast or you could call em grainless granola bars if ya want. ;)

It is just perfect to grab two big cookies and a cup of coffee and head out the door.

If you can have nuts that is.

Nutty Cookies (Adapted from Elana's Pantry Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe)

1 cup Grapeseed oil
1 cup Agave syrup
1 T. Vanilla
5 cups Almond flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking soda
Bunch of Walnuts
Bunch of Cashews

I add as many walnuts and cashews as the batter will hold. I mound them up on a cookie sheet and bake until done. 325 bout 10-12 min.

Hmm I might try baking them as a bar. Never thought of it til now.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#29 Marie1976

Marie1976

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:07 AM

My latest breakfasts are smoothies. I put the following in a blender. Yogurt (vanilla or something I like) banana, strawberries or any other fruit I like (Kiwi, blueberries etc.) Then a good handful of spinach. If you use bananas you don't taste the spinach at all and it helps with staying full. Blend - and it's yummy. (My kids haven't figured out why it's green yet!) I drink on the way to work.

I do spinach smoothies too! When I give it to my little ones, I call it swamp juice (think Shrek) and they love it. (It's all in the name -- broccoli is called dinosaur trees at my house.) They love peanut butter smoothies too: peanut butter, bananas, rice (or soy) milk, vanilla yogurt, ice cubes and a little Stevia or agave nectar. Don't put in too much peanut butter though or it will be too... peanut buttery.

#30 plumbago

plumbago

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:17 AM

I'd like to thank everyone for responding. There are some fantastic ideas here, especially those I can make ahead. I will come back to this again and again.

Plumbago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: