5 replies to this topic

#1 WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

I was in Safeway today grocery shopping and noticed they have color coded a lot of items that are gluten free!!! I was so excited, because I was actually able to buy items that I didn't realize were gluten free!! But it made me wonder...... since there APPS out there for the smart phones for almost everything..... Does anyone know if there is an APP out there to assist with selecting gluten free foods?
Emergency abdominal surgery in 1997 due to ovaries cystizing and rupturing
MRSA set in at hospital which led to intestines being eaten from the outside in causing severe diverticulitis
1997 Sigmoid colon removed
1998 Transverse colon removed
1999 Transcending colon and appendix removed
2000 diagnosed with severe IBS
2005 diagnosed with ulcerated illium
2/28/11 diagnosed with Celiac Disease and Colitis
‎"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tea_and_crumpets

tea_and_crumpets

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:40 PM

I was in Safeway today grocery shopping and noticed they have color coded a lot of items that are gluten free!!! I was so excited, because I was actually able to buy items that I didn't realize were gluten free!! But it made me wonder...... since there APPS out there for the smart phones for almost everything..... Does anyone know if there is an APP out there to assist with selecting gluten free foods?

I've seen a couple, but I have had much better luck just using my iphone to google 'product name' gluten free when I'm in the store. And I don't have to pay anything extra to do it! What I pay is already more than enough.

#3 Kelly777

Kelly777

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

Buyer beware. Still read the labels. I noticed that Wishbone Salad Dressings were gluten free and labeled as such by Wishbone and labeled by Safeway. I was so excited to see Russian dressing was gluten-free according to the shelf label and I turned the bottle over but there was no "gluten free" printed in the same place as the other Wishbone dressings so I read through and the maltodextrin had corn & WHEAT. I pulled the shelf label and the bottle and marched up front to let them know the error of their ways.

#4 ciavyn

ciavyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:47 AM

I second tea and crumpets. I have the iPhone app, "Is that Gluten Free?" and I can count on one hand how many times I've used it. I can count on NO hands how often it was helpful. Google with the gluten free tag. And when in doubt, ask or don't buy it. It's tough in the beginning, because everything seems like a monster poised to jump out at you. But once you get accustomed to what you can and can't have, I assure you, this is easy-peasy most days. I don't even see things I cannot eat. It's sort of like shopping before gluten free, but not even noticing the things you don't like on the shelf. They just don't appeal, so they don't even pop up on your radar. I'm like that now with stuff that isn't gluten free. :) And of course -- you'll probably find most of your answers on celiac.com, as someone has usually already written the manufacturer to inquire! ;)
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#5 WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:39 AM

Thank you so much for the responses!!! I was just thinking how cool it would be to just be able to scan the upc to see if it was gluten free...... Maybe someday in the near future.....
Emergency abdominal surgery in 1997 due to ovaries cystizing and rupturing
MRSA set in at hospital which led to intestines being eaten from the outside in causing severe diverticulitis
1997 Sigmoid colon removed
1998 Transverse colon removed
1999 Transcending colon and appendix removed
2000 diagnosed with severe IBS
2005 diagnosed with ulcerated illium
2/28/11 diagnosed with Celiac Disease and Colitis
‎"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

#6 gfreecarboholic

gfreecarboholic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

Thank you so much for the responses!!! I was just thinking how cool it would be to just be able to scan the upc to see if it was gluten free...... Maybe someday in the near future.....

Hey WitchyWoman,

I also have the Iphone app. "Is that Gluten Free?" and i have found it very helpful as a newbie. I don't really use the actual product list but I find the list of ingredients very helpful for reading labels. And, I like that there is an area with each product where you can take notes. I'm sure I won't use if forever but right now, while I am trying to learn what ingredients to watch out for, I really love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: