This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There An App For That?

WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman Rookie

I was in Safeway today grocery shopping and noticed they have color coded a lot of items that are gluten free!!! I was so excited, because I was actually able to buy items that I didn't realize were gluten free!! But it made me wonder...... since there APPS out there for the smart phones for almost everything..... Does anyone know if there is an APP out there to assist with selecting gluten free foods?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tea-and-crumpets Explorer

I was in Safeway today grocery shopping and noticed they have color coded a lot of items that are gluten free!!! I was so excited, because I was actually able to buy items that I didn't realize were gluten free!! But it made me wonder...... since there APPS out there for the smart phones for almost everything..... Does anyone know if there is an APP out there to assist with selecting gluten free foods?

I've seen a couple, but I have had much better luck just using my iphone to google 'product name' gluten free when I'm in the store. And I don't have to pay anything extra to do it! What I pay is already more than enough.

Kelly777 Newbie

Buyer beware. Still read the labels. I noticed that Wishbone Salad Dressings were gluten free and labeled as such by Wishbone and labeled by Safeway. I was so excited to see Russian dressing was gluten-free according to the shelf label and I turned the bottle over but there was no "gluten free" printed in the same place as the other Wishbone dressings so I read through and the maltodextrin had corn & WHEAT. I pulled the shelf label and the bottle and marched up front to let them know the error of their ways.

ciavyn Contributor

I second tea and crumpets. I have the iPhone app, "Is that Gluten Free?" and I can count on one hand how many times I've used it. I can count on NO hands how often it was helpful. Google with the gluten free tag. And when in doubt, ask or don't buy it. It's tough in the beginning, because everything seems like a monster poised to jump out at you. But once you get accustomed to what you can and can't have, I assure you, this is easy-peasy most days. I don't even see things I cannot eat. It's sort of like shopping before gluten free, but not even noticing the things you don't like on the shelf. They just don't appeal, so they don't even pop up on your radar. I'm like that now with stuff that isn't gluten free. :) And of course -- you'll probably find most of your answers on celiac.com, as someone has usually already written the manufacturer to inquire! ;)

WitchyWoman Rookie

Thank you so much for the responses!!! I was just thinking how cool it would be to just be able to scan the upc to see if it was gluten free...... Maybe someday in the near future.....

gfreecarboholic Rookie

Thank you so much for the responses!!! I was just thinking how cool it would be to just be able to scan the upc to see if it was gluten free...... Maybe someday in the near future.....

Hey WitchyWoman,

I also have the Iphone app. "Is that Gluten Free?" and i have found it very helpful as a newbie. I don't really use the actual product list but I find the list of ingredients very helpful for reading labels. And, I like that there is an area with each product where you can take notes. I'm sure I won't use if forever but right now, while I am trying to learn what ingredients to watch out for, I really love it.

Archived