2 replies to this topic

#1 ciavyn

ciavyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:57 AM

My best friend has decided to go gluten free, as she has seen my results, and in only a few days, has felt tremendous relief in her GI tract (amazing how that works, isn't it?) However, she emailed me last week and said she was so frustrated by the huge level of planning this required. I forgot how hard it was in the beginning. You feel like you have to plan every meal. She had to stop and grab something to eat for her gluten-eating boyfriend, so she went to the convenience store, and was awash with confusion. So I'm throwing it out there to you folks, to help me put together a list of gluten-free items you might get a cafeteria food counter (like in a government building) or at a convenience store (like Wawa or Sheetz). What do y'all buy?

My list so far:
Chips
Popcorn (Popcorn, Indiana is my new favorite)
Snickers
Reese's PB cup
Cheese
Hard-boiled eggs
Salad
Ice cream
Beef jerky
Nuts
Sandwich meat
Bunless burger or hotdog

Obviously, assuming that I've checked the back or know the brand and know that they are safe. What else would you add?
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 heatherjane

heatherjane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:34 AM

My best friend has decided to go gluten free, as she has seen my results, and in only a few days, has felt tremendous relief in her GI tract (amazing how that works, isn't it?) However, she emailed me last week and said she was so frustrated by the huge level of planning this required. I forgot how hard it was in the beginning. You feel like you have to plan every meal. She had to stop and grab something to eat for her gluten-eating boyfriend, so she went to the convenience store, and was awash with confusion. So I'm throwing it out there to you folks, to help me put together a list of gluten-free items you might get a cafeteria food counter (like in a government building) or at a convenience store (like Wawa or Sheetz). What do y'all buy?

My list so far:
Chips
Popcorn (Popcorn, Indiana is my new favorite)
Snickers
Reese's PB cup
Cheese
Hard-boiled eggs
Salad
Ice cream
Beef jerky
Nuts
Sandwich meat
Bunless burger or hotdog

Obviously, assuming that I've checked the back or know the brand and know that they are safe. What else would you add?

Good idea...i needed a list when I was stuck at the mechanic for 4 hours with nothing "safe" in walking distance but a gas station.
My suggestions:
M&Ms, sunflower seeds, some places may have fruit...

#3 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:20 PM

Yogurt, fruit. Yeah, the pickin's can be slim at a convenience store.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: