12 replies to this topic

#1 RebeccaLynn

RebeccaLynn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

Hi I am new to this forum and am excited to meet you! I found out about my gluten intolerance last Oct 2010 and though I haven't had as many all-night gastrointestinal episodes since then, I still dont have any energy and I am fatigued ALL THE TIME. I am also sick with a cold or the flu every 2-6 weeks like clockwork. My glands in my throat are sore & swollen often & I feel run down like I am getting sick with a cold/flu at least once a week.

My Naturopath says I also have Epstein Barr Virus. Has anyone else had similar immune issues with gluten intolerance? Is this related to possible Celiac, or is my suppressed immune system from something else going on? Spleen? Adrenals?

I dont eat gluten (obviously), dairy, red meat, pork, or anything processed, and can't figure out how my diet can get any healthier, and why I still don't feel good. I am taking sublingual B12, Floradix Iron, and a Zinc supplement as well as digestive enzymes. I have done an elimination diet, but didnt notice a difference as I had hoped.

Please help?!
Dairy Free since 1997
Gluten Free Oct 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bisja

bisja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

Hi I am new to this forum and am excited to meet you! I found out about my gluten intolerance last Oct 2010 and though I haven't had as many all-night gastrointestinal episodes since then, I still dont have any energy and I am fatigued ALL THE TIME. I am also sick with a cold or the flu every 2-6 weeks like clockwork. My glands in my throat are sore & swollen often & I feel run down like I am getting sick with a cold/flu at least once a week.

My Naturopath says I also have Epstein Barr Virus. Has anyone else had similar immune issues with gluten intolerance? Is this related to possible Celiac, or is my suppressed immune system from something else going on? Spleen? Adrenals?

I dont eat gluten (obviously), dairy, red meat, pork, or anything processed, and can't figure out how my diet can get any healthier, and why I still don't feel good. I am taking sublingual B12, Floradix Iron, and a Zinc supplement as well as digestive enzymes. I have done an elimination diet, but didnt notice a difference as I had hoped.

Please help?!

Hi I had mono caused by Epstein barr a little over 4 years ago, along with Lyme Disease, after many months of treatment the Lyme is in remision, the mono took over a year to be negative but I still deal with the virus like you I get sick alot, I hate it, but it is something that the heart dcotor told me that can happen as eebv messes with your immune system, the problem with gluten came along right in the middle of dealing with these other things but honestly think through out my life I did have problems with it. Being gluten-free has helped with stomach issues but am stopping dairy to see if it helps even more which so far I do notice a difference, from what the doctor told me it can taake take 5 years or more for the body to get back to normal with epstein barr and some never do, but I think doing everything as healthy as you can is the best thing you can do. I wish I had more answers but mainly wanted you to know you are not alone.

#3 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

Please help?!

Welcome!

Celiac Disease does not result in a suppressed immune system, rather, we have overactive immune systems. The goal is to calm it down by going strictly gluten-free. However, you can become very run down from resultant anemia and other vitamin deficiencies, along with viruses which can be very difficult to overcome. I was always sick before diagnosis but after a few years of being gluten-free, I never get sick with anything anymore. It can be accomplished but it will take some time.

One thing about your diet which I would consider changing is eating red meat. There is such a thing as eating therapeutic amounts of meat to help with anemia issues. The type of iron, hemi iron, which helps to overcome anemia, is only found in red meat. I am not advocating eating lots of red meat but once a week is a good start to help with low energy levels. I don't know if you suffer from anemia but it sounds like you do and including red meat in your diet is a good way to combat that. Iron supplements are OK but red meat is better for that. I never ate much red meat until I couldn't shake my anemia issues. It helped that tremendously.

Sounds like the virus is the culprit for your on-going problems but making sure you eat right and get enough rest is important. All that old fashioned advice is really true! Patience is also something you'll learn to deal with because for many of us, it took a few years before we felt better.

#4 RebeccaLynn

RebeccaLynn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

One thing about your diet which I would consider changing is eating red meat. There is such a thing as eating therapeutic amounts of meat to help with anemia issues. The type of iron, hemi iron, which helps to overcome anemia, is only found in red meat. I am not advocating eating lots of red meat but once a week is a good start to help with low energy levels. I don't know if you suffer from anemia but it sounds like you do and including red meat in your diet is a good way to combat that. Iron supplements are OK but red meat is better for that. I never ate much red meat until I couldn't shake my anemia issues. It helped that tremendously.
Dairy Free since 1997
Gluten Free Oct 2010

#5 RebeccaLynn

RebeccaLynn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:09 AM

Hi I had mono caused by Epstein barr a little over 4 years ago, along with Lyme Disease, after many months of treatment the Lyme is in remision, the mono took over a year to be negative but I still deal with the virus like you I get sick alot, I hate it, but it is something that the heart dcotor told me that can happen as eebv messes with your immune system, the problem with gluten came along right in the middle of dealing with these other things but honestly think through out my life I did have problems with it. Being gluten-free has helped with stomach issues but am stopping dairy to see if it helps even more which so far I do notice a difference, from what the doctor told me it can taake take 5 years or more for the body to get back to normal with epstein barr and some never do, but I think doing everything as healthy as you can is the best thing you can do. I wish I had more answers but mainly wanted you to know you are not alone.

Thanks so much! That is helpful to know that there are others out there like me and I am not insane. I think I will give my doctor a call & get tested for EBV & Lyme disease, as I will do just about anything to feel better at this point!
Dairy Free since 1997
Gluten Free Oct 2010

#6 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

The type of iron, hemi iron, which helps to overcome anemia, is only found in red meat.

Absorb-able iron is found in any meat.

http://www.mckinley....urces_iron.html
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#7 bisja

bisja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

Thanks so much! That is helpful to know that there are others out there like me and I am not insane. I think I will give my doctor a call & get tested for EBV & Lyme disease, as I will do just about anything to feel better at this point!

thats a good idea RebeccaLynn better safe then sorry, I will worn you that that theres alot of controversy with doctors about lyme and ebv, but then again there is the same with gluten intolerance too but is still good to be tested. Do you have muscle pain? Neck pain etc?

#8 RebeccaLynn

RebeccaLynn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

thats a good idea RebeccaLynn better safe then sorry, I will worn you that that theres alot of controversy with doctors about lyme and ebv, but then again there is the same with gluten intolerance too but is still good to be tested. Do you have muscle pain? Neck pain etc?

what kind of controversy w EBV & Lyme? I had a blood test last Fall and thought that they tested for each, but can't remember, as all came back negative. I don't have muscle or neck pain, I do get a stiff neck sometimes, but I think that is because I sew all day for my job. Interesting.
Dairy Free since 1997
Gluten Free Oct 2010

#9 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

Absorb-able iron is found in any meat.

http://www.mckinley....urces_iron.html

Yes, that is technically true but the best source is from red meat. That's been long established. Any good doctor or nutritionist will emphasize the inclusion of red meat for anemia. Worked wonders for me and I was severely anemic for years while undiagnosed with Celiac.

#10 RebeccaLynn

RebeccaLynn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:54 PM

Yes, that is technically true but the best source is from red meat. That's been long established. Any good doctor or nutritionist will emphasize the inclusion of red meat for anemia. Worked wonders for me and I was severely anemic for years while undiagnosed with Celiac.

The only problem with that is I am severely intolerant to beef & pork - I get gastro pyrotechnics like you wouldn't believe. Worse than with gluten & dairy. I tried some red meat a few months ago, as my naturopath said I could have it, and it was worse than the stomach flu! So, I am focusing on my supplement, and also iron-rich veggies. Hoping that helps me feel better.
Dairy Free since 1997
Gluten Free Oct 2010

#11 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:04 PM

Yes, that is technically true but the best source is from red meat.

Yes, but there are people that choose not to eat red meat. They need to know that other options are available.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#12 bisja

bisja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

what kind of controversy w EBV & Lyme? I had a blood test last Fall and thought that they tested for each, but can't remember, as all came back negative. I don't have muscle or neck pain, I do get a stiff neck sometimes, but I think that is because I sew all day for my job. Interesting.

Rebecca most doctors believe that you have to be positve for mono for the virus to make you feel rotten, my heart doctor explained it as the gray area of medicine and that doctors are split on their thinking of it. Lyme Disease is very misunderstood by most doctors some of the tests they use are not accurate, and some of the treatment and lenght of treatment is not enough to get rid of the bacteria or to even put it into remission. Its constantly be argued about with the CDC and the people who deal with Lyme. Are you anemic now? If so that will make you very tired and your immune system down. How did your Naturopath check you for ebv?

#13 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

Please help?!

have you had your Vitamin D levels or your Thyroid checked??? both can lead to getting sick a lot
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: