arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

1 Week Gluten-Free And I Have The Worst Gas Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sallyb

sallyb

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

I'm 1 week into a gluten-free diet and for the past 3 days I have been experiencing the worst most constant and smelly gas. The bloating is killing me and the cramps hurt. I'm embarrased to go anywhere for it smells so bad, and it's about every 10 to 30 minutes.
Is this just my body adjusting to no gluten?
Please for me and the sake of my family :( please help
Finally diagnosed with celiac disease march 14th 2011 after 16 years.

My blessings outweigh my regrets by far.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

Are you eating anything new to replace gluten-containing foods? Do you take probiotics or digestive enzymes?
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#3 JonnyD

JonnyD

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

I'm a month gluten-free and don't think I can tolerate broccoli right now (same reaction you describe). Too many beans are bad too. It might be something you are eating.

#4 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:40 AM

Oh yeah, good times. Go through everything you are eating -- try to make sure as much as possible that you aren't getting cross-contaminated or anything with gluten. For me, I cannot eat any vegetables for a day or two, but stick with bland carbs. Oh, gosh, I remember those days. I went through it when I first went off gluten -- well, I had it bad BEFORE going off gluten, but then after I did, it was brutal for a few months. I never knew when something was going to set my system off. And then finally, it eased up, and now it's gone. :) So it does get better. But it is tough to go through. In the beginning, it's hard to know what you are reacting to as your gut heals. It also could be something that you are eating that you don't know has gluten. Avoid processed foods if possible.
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#5 sallyb

sallyb

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

Okay so far I have been eating alot of baby carrots, Envirokids cereal bars, gluten-free Bread and Bagels, gluten-free Cereal, gluten-free cookies, gluten-free pasta with gluten-free sauce, apples, nut thins, tortilla chips with cheese, Eda mame, soy chocolate pudding, chicken and rice, and gluten-free pizza.
It has been so annoying that today i had an apple and will probably have chicken and rice for lunch and steak with mashed potatoes for dinner. I am hopefull that this will eventually pass (literally) and I can start adding one or two other foods a day and see what happens. I'm going to try to get the almond milk for cereal, It's possible that i could be lactose intolerant so maybe i should buy lactose pills, and I will try beano, or gas x. Thank you for all of the responses and please keep them coming! By the way this forum has saved me from much grief, and is keeping me sane somewhat ;) Thank you all soooo much.

#6 MsCurious

MsCurious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

Okay so far I have been eating alot of baby carrots, Envirokids cereal bars, gluten-free Bread and Bagels, gluten-free Cereal, gluten-free cookies, gluten-free pasta with gluten-free sauce, apples, nut thins, tortilla chips with cheese, Eda mame, soy chocolate pudding, chicken and rice, and gluten-free pizza.
It has been so annoying that today i had an apple and will probably have chicken and rice for lunch and steak with mashed potatoes for dinner. I am hopefull that this will eventually pass (literally) and I can start adding one or two other foods a day and see what happens. I'm going to try to get the almond milk for cereal, It's possible that i could be lactose intolerant so maybe i should buy lactose pills, and I will try beano, or gas x. Thank you for all of the responses and please keep them coming! By the way this forum has saved me from much grief, and is keeping me sane somewhat ;) Thank you all soooo much.

Have you ever noticed issues with dairy? This will cause huge bloating and gas, also.
~ MsCurious ~
"If you keep doing what you're doing... You'll keep getting what you're getting!"

tTg IgA IgG borderline 1/25/11 Posted Image
HLA DQ2.5 Positive 2/11/11
Biopsy 4/11/11
100% Lactose/Dairy Free 4/11/11
Gluten Free 4/14/11
Life is SO MUCH better gluten-free!

#7 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

Woot -- that is a lot of packaged food, which is tough to avoid in the beginning. If you can get away from it, and dairy, it may help. Good luck -- it is tough and frustrating when you are fist starting out, but it does get better. :)
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#8 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

Wow, that is way too much gluten free packaged food for your system to handle at the begining. You need to be on a more whole foods diet right now. Gradually ease into it. You are shocking your system big time. Also, by the way, Beano has wheat. And you may want to get rid of the dairy also.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#9 sallyb

sallyb

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

Okay, I went shopping today (after more research) and bought more veggies, fruits, and rice. I also started Gas x and Lactaid. So today's diet was really good and I have less gas and bloating then yesterday. Hoping to keep eating more pure raw foods and will add more food next week to see if i can't find out the problem. Thank you for all of the help.

#10 Cinnamongirl

Cinnamongirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

I found probiotics to be very helpful for me in eliminating gas issues. I also avoid dairy, but I do use butter. I still have issues with certain vegetables so I avoid them now. And it's news to me that Beano isn't gluten free. I never thought to check that!
Felt limited by anxiety since I was around 9.
Have known something was "wrong" for most of my adult life and learned to live with bloating/constipation and fatigue.
Went to many doctors for help without success.
Got confirmation from Enterolabs that I was gluten sensitive in Dec. 20009

#11 MsCurious

MsCurious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

I found probiotics to be very helpful for me in eliminating gas issues. I also avoid dairy, but I do use butter. I still have issues with certain vegetables so I avoid them now. And it's news to me that Beano isn't gluten free. I never thought to check that!

Butter is dairy! :blink:
~ MsCurious ~
"If you keep doing what you're doing... You'll keep getting what you're getting!"

Biopsy 4/11/11
Gluten Free 4/14/11

#12 MsCurious

MsCurious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

Butter is dairy! :blink:
~ MsCurious ~

Biopsy 4/11/11
Gluten Free 4/14/11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: