28 replies to this topic

#1 iamsarar

iamsarar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:04 PM

Hi....I have a mouth piece I wear at night to prevent teeth grinding. I soak it in 1/2 water 1/2 mouthwash during the day. I have been constantly nauseous for a couple of weeks now and called the company to see if what I thought was gluten free mouthwash really wasn't. I just found out is wasn't!! So glad to know the cause. But now because this expensive mouth piece has been soaking in this stuff what do I do now. I thought about boiling it. and now I need to find a new mouthwash. Any suggestions on the mouth piece or what to use now?

The mouthwash I was using it Walmart Equate fresh mint.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Hi....I have a mouth piece I wear at night to prevent teeth grinding. I soak it in 1/2 water 1/2 mouthwash during the day. I have been constantly nauseous for a couple of weeks now and called the company to see if what I thought was gluten free mouthwash really wasn't. I just found out is wasn't!! So glad to know the cause. But now because this expensive mouth piece has been soaking in this stuff what do I do now. I thought about boiling it. and now I need to find a new mouthwash. Any suggestions on the mouth piece or what to use now?

The mouthwash I was using it Walmart Equate fresh mint.

http://www.walmart.c...-1.5-l/10533846

WATER, ALCOHOL (15 WT%), GLYCERIN &/OR SORBITAL, FLAVOR, POLYSORBATE 80, SODIUM SACCHARIN, SODIUM BENZOATE, CETYLPYRIDINIUM CHLORIDE, BENZOIC ACID, BLUE 1, YELLOW 5

Don't see any culprits here regarding gluten, but it is obviously something in the ingredients is bothering you.

Try another mouth wash to see if it gets better. All Crest mouth rinses, toothpastes and white strips are gluten free.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Mouthwash-Gargle-1.5-l/10533846

WATER, ALCOHOL (15 WT%), GLYCERIN &/OR SORBITAL, FLAVOR, POLYSORBATE 80, SODIUM SACCHARIN, SODIUM BENZOATE, CETYLPYRIDINIUM CHLORIDE, BENZOIC ACID, BLUE 1, YELLOW 5

Don't see any culprits here regarding gluten, but it is obviously something in the ingredients is bothering you.

Try another mouth wash to see if it gets better. All Crest mouth rinses, toothpastes and white strips are gluten free.

Just a heads up! I just called Crest last Friday and two of their mouth washes have traces of gluten in them. It's the Pro Rinse varieties. Lisa, I thought the same thing and I bought Crest Pro Rinse about six months ago. Then I just called this week to confirm that the Crest 3D vivid toothpaste was gluten free because I was having strange symptoms. The rep told me that all of their toothpastes are gluten free, but not their mouthwashes. I almost fell out of my chair! :blink: I always thought that all of crest products were gluten free, but I was so wrong. Here I had gluten in my house for the last 6 months and didn't have a clue. I was so mad at myself.

I know Scope and Listerin are gltuen free, but I would always call the company from now on just to make sure nothing changes.
I learned my lesson. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to add that, lucky for me, I stopped using this about two months ago. I really do hate mouthwash anyway... :P
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

#4 iamsarar

iamsarar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Mouthwash-Gargle-1.5-l/10533846

The label looks different then this on the link. My label says Mouthwash clean and fresh. I called the customer 1-800 number and the person I talked to said that "yes this does contain gluten" After reading your post I decided to try again and see if I get the same answer. I got a different person, after giving them the numbers on the back of the bottle she said the same thing. " yes this mouthwash contains gluten" I don't which ingredient it is that has gluten in it but it would explain why I have feeling awful every morning, because I have been trying to figure it out to 2 weeks. I going to stop using it and see. I'll let you know.

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

I can't see any gluten source in there either. If you are reacting to something on that list, my first guess would be the sorbital [sic]. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol which causes digestive upset in some people.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

Reading this I almost wonder if the people you spoke to had gluten confused with glucose. I would have asked instead if it had any wheat, barley, rye, oats or malt derived ingredients. Anyway, there's no doubt it could be bothering you and I would switch too if I were you. I use Listerine daily and have not had any problems with it. To degluten your mouthpiece you will want to wash it well. I would take a clean toothbrush and scrub it well, rinsing with hot water. Hot water alone will not "kill" the gluten so you need to scrub it with something to get in the crevices.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

The label looks different then this on the link. My label says Mouthwash clean and fresh. I called the customer 1-800 number and the person I talked to said that "yes this does contain gluten" After reading your post I decided to try again and see if I get the same answer. I got a different person, after giving them the numbers on the back of the bottle she said the same thing. " yes this mouthwash contains gluten" I don't which ingredient it is that has gluten in it but it would explain why I have feeling awful every morning, because I have been trying to figure it out to 2 weeks. I going to stop using it and see. I'll let you know.

I *THINK* that the ingredient in question is the alcohol. In past years alcohol was considered a gluten source. Currently, it is considered gluten free regardless of the source of the grain due to the distillation process (it removed the offending gluten)......don't think that the information has gotten out yet to the customer relations peeps. And many times, its a CYA statement. ....it's so tough to learn.

....but then, I may be wrong. I do find it difficult to believe that gluten would be in mouth wash.
Lisa

#8 iamsarar

iamsarar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

OK....I called back a third time :blink: this time THIS third person said that the mouthwash IS gluten free, BUT it is manufactured in a plant that makes many other products that are NOT gluten free and it is advised that if you are on a gluten free diet you should NOT use this product. Why didn't they just say that the first time :huh:

Thanks for all your input!

#9 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:43 PM

I'd ask your dentist if you can dilute a teaspoon or two of peroxide with water as a solution to soak your mouthpiece. That's what they suggest to clean toothbrushes. It would probably save you money, too! Good luck!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

OK....I called back a third time :blink: this time THIS third person said that the mouthwash IS gluten free, BUT it is manufactured in a plant that makes many other products that are NOT gluten free and it is advised that if you are on a gluten free diet you should NOT use this product. Why didn't they just say that the first time :huh:

Thanks for all your input!

LOL....We have all been there! Sometimes your information is only as good as your customer service rep (and their ability to read a script).

What the third rep is telling you is that there are no gluten ingredients, but cannot verify a potential cross contact issues with their suppliers. Yeah... a CYA statement...in my opinion.

But, try another brand if you think you are having issues with this one.
Lisa

#11 iamsarar

iamsarar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

LOL....We have all been there! Sometimes your information is only as good as your customer service rep (and their ability to read a script).

What the third rep is telling you is that there are no gluten ingredients, but cannot verify a potential cross contact issues with their suppliers. Yeah... a CYA statement...in my opinion.

But, try another brand if you think you are having issues with this one.

Thanks Lisa! Your response made me push the issue and ask the right questions when I called. I think I do have a problem with this one bottle at least. I am just going to use water for now and see how it goes.

#12 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

Just a heads up! I just called Crest last Friday and two of their mouth washes have traces of gluten in them. It's the Pro Rinse varieties. Lisa, I thought the same thing and I bought Crest Pro Rinse about six months ago. Then I just called this week to confirm that the Crest 3D vivid toothpaste was gluten free because I was having strange symptoms. The rep told me that all of their toothpastes are gluten free, but not their mouthwashes. I almost fell out of my chair! :blink: I always thought that all of crest products were gluten free, but I was so wrong. Here I had gluten in my house for the last 6 months and didn't have a clue. I was so mad at myself.

I know Scope and Listerin are gltuen free, but I would always call the company from now on just to make sure nothing changes.
I learned my lesson. :rolleyes:

r u sure??? about the Crest Pro-rinse ?? i always get their brand that's alcohol free... i actually just tried to find something on their site- and it said that none of the ingredients included gluten, but that they could not guarantee there were not trace amounts... OY VEY :/
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#13 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

weird! I just used crest pro-health rinse this morning and now I'm having terrible reflux. ARGH. I thought it was the peppermint... could be gluten? Also, I use the pro-health toothpaste... just ordered some tom's online (can't get what I want over here) but I'll only have this for the week until it gets here.

but at the same time, I had a bite of bread on accident two days ago and didn't get reflux... so maybe it's a combination of CC buildup and peppermint? idk, I'm so confused since I'm so new to this... :unsure:

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#14 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:21 AM

When I use mouthwash I use one that is alcohol free. I think it is a scope but not sure as I don't use it often. You could try soaking it in Efferdent and rinse well before use. I use that for my partial.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#15 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:16 AM

r u sure??? about the Crest Pro-rinse ?? i always get their brand that's alcohol free... i actually just tried to find something on their site- and it said that none of the ingredients included gluten, but that they could not guarantee there were not trace amounts... OY VEY :/

Hi Cassp,

Yeah, I just called them again this morning to make sure I heard it correctly. The rep told me that all of the Crest Pro-Health rinses may contain trace amounts of gluten. I was shocked, too. I threw mine out last week.
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: