7 replies to this topic

#1 dube

dube

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:34 AM

I've been trying so hard to find out whether 5th season or spice classic are gluten free. I have an array of different spices from this company, Han-Dee Pak, Inc. Cant find out anything! I know McCormick labels, but I dont want to throw out things if I dont have to...Also, Durkee...

Anybody have problems with these companys/spices????

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dube

dube

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

Have spent two weeks searching...I have come up with not even a phone number to call these company's!

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:27 AM

Not sure this is the same company but:

http://www.classic-spices.com/

Contact Us
(262) 835-1375
Gail Hribar (262) 989-8216 | Bill Hribar (262) 989-8215
7802 W. 7 Mile Road | Franksville, WI 53126
info@classic-spices.com
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 di_rye

di_rye

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

I just went crazy trying to figure out the "Is 5th Season spice gluten free?" question.  From what I can tell 5th Season was or is made by Han-Dee Pak which is owned by McCormick. (Acquired in 1979 per Wikipedia.)  See http://en.wikipedia....rmick_&_Company

McCormick claims they list every ingredient on their product labels, so if wheat, barley, rye etc. isn't listed, it's not in there and the spice can be assumed to be gluten free.  See http://celiacdisease...free-Spices.htm

Evidently 5th Season is "older" McCormick spice that is packaged under the 5th Season Brand because the flavor is not strong enough to be labeled "McCormick." See http://www.infobarre...ing_Gluten_Free

#5 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

Great info, di, thanks :)  A lot of spice companies do have their regular brand, a premium line, and then a lower line.  Makes sense to me.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 gilligan

gilligan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

The Spice Agent is a small company located in Branson, MO.  I order all my spices from them.  All spices are ground on site in small amounts to keep them fresh.  Chris, the owner, has assured me that his spices are pure and gluten free, EXCEPT for some of the spice blends.  Chris will be more than happy to share info with you on which blends contain gluten.  He recently made a gluten free taco spice mix for me.  I wanted a spice mix similar to the dry mix envelopes of taco seasoning.  

http://www.thespiceagent.com

#7 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Does the spice agent process their gluten-free spices in the same area and on the same equipment as the gluten containing blends?  That is really important to know.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 gilligan

gilligan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

The Spice Agent doesn't mix the blends himself.  The only blends he makes himself are ones that are specifically requested by a customer, such as my taco seasoning.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: