Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Vitamin D Deficiency

19 posts in this topic

Any body else here have low vitamin D? Mine is 11.5. Wondering what everyone is taking?

My pharmacist is sending me 5000 to take daily, instead of the prescription...

Ads by Google:

I have never had mine tested as I don't have insurance but I do know I feel a world of difference taking supplements. I take a 5000 once a week and one that has 1000IU and K-2 daily. There have been quite a few on the board with low levels on checking so hopefully they will see this and post their experiences.

Both my teens have extremely low Vitamin D. The orthopedist and endocrinologist put them on 50,000 iu weekly for 6-8 weeks with follow up of 1000 iu per day. That helped somewhat, but because of the absorption issues associated with celiac they still need extra calcium and Vitamin D supplements. They discovered the deficiencies after a series of stress fractures, and are still working to get their Vitamin D within normal range (30).

just got mine tested 6 weeks ago- and im at a "26". completely makes sense now- as im having horrific muscle spasm pain everyday. ive been taking 4,000 to 6,000 iu everyday. ive noticed less pain & spasms.

ive just been dosing myself since my doctor neglected to tell me anything. i only knew im deficient cause i always ask them to mail me my results.

i cant wait to discuss it with my doc in april, and then test again later.

Just had mine tested too and it is 28, so I am taking Natures Made Calcium with Vit. D and Magnesium 2 x a day.

Pharmacy just sent me 5000 D3, which he told me to take daily. However, he didnt tell me for how long...

Both my teens have extremely low Vitamin D. The orthopedist and endocrinologist put them on 50,000 iu weekly for 6-8 weeks with follow up of 1000 iu per day. That helped somewhat, but because of the absorption issues associated with celiac they still need extra calcium and Vitamin D supplements. They discovered the deficiencies after a series of stress fractures, and are still working to get their Vitamin D within normal range (30).

If the 50,000 was little emerald green footballs, they were D2 not particularly good, definetely go for D3

and do some research, a level of 30 is considered insufficient....

Just had mine tested too and it is 28, so I am taking Natures Made Calcium with Vit. D and Magnesium 2 x a day.

there is very little Vit D in these, you will see VERY little change in you levels.

Any body else here have low vitamin D? Mine is 11.5. Wondering what everyone is taking?

Hello, I just found out my vitamin D was <5! My doctor put me on a vitamin D prescription of 50,000 and yes I do mean fifty thousand! I take one pill twice a week. Just started taking it yesterday so I nothing to share at the moment. I wake up with sore hands, knees, back and feet every morning! I'm praying this will help! Tammy

If the 50,000 was little emerald green footballs, they were D2 not particularly good, definetely go for D3

and do some research, a level of 30 is considered insufficient....

The vitamin D that I'm taking are little green footballs! What do you mean they aren't particulary good? Whats the difference between D2 & D3? Thanks! Tammy

The vitamin D that I'm taking are little green footballs! What do you mean they aren't particulary good? Whats the difference between D2 & D3? Thanks! Tammy

It is the plant form of the vitamin, not well absorbed. Remember, we are designed to get our Vit D from the sun. not food!...check out the grocery store vitamin section you should ba able to find at least 5000 unit gel caps of D3. check out vitaminDcouncil.org good luck

I have a D deficiency also. My doctor has me taking 2,000 IU of D3 daily. I use the brand Spring Valley - they're gluten, wheat, lactose free.

I haven't noticed any improvements in my bone, joint or muscle pain yet - but it's only been about 4 days that I've been taking them.

there is very little Vit D in these, you will see VERY little change in you levels.

So after seeing what everyone else is taking, I guess 200 I.U. isn't enough. Do I have to ask my doc about the 5000 and if I am low why wouldn't he prescribe me those in the first place?

5000 IU is available OTC. 28 is low, but you're generally not considered officially 'deficient" until you drop to 16.

If you live someplace sunny, he may also assume it will rise seasonally once you're back out in the sun. Which it likely will.

I'll just caution everyone to not get too carried away. It is a fat-soluble vintamin which means theoretically you can overdose on it. If you're taking a high dose, follow-up blood work is a sensible precaution.

(Me: 5,000 or 10,000 IU per week with a history of both deficiency and low levels while on 1,000 IU per day)

So after seeing what everyone else is taking, I guess 200 I.U. isn't enough. Do I have to ask my doc about the 5000 and if I am low why wouldn't he prescribe me those in the first place?

i would ASSUME that 200 is not enough. now- im only ASSUMING, cause my doc didnt tell me a damn thing... ive had to go about this on my own for now. ive been reading advice from members on here, and the D3 supplement i bought from the doctor i whole heartedly respect comes in servings of 2000 iu per capsule. i think the bottle said take 1 or 2 per day. i was taking 2 a day, but when i saw people onhere taking more, i upped mine to 3 a day (6,000 iu).

not sure if what im doing is right, so i will plan to ask my doc in april, and do follow up testing. i HAVE noticed LESS muscle spasms, and LESS muscle pain. i still have muscle aches- but it HAS definitely improved.

When tested soon after my Celiac diagnosis, my Vit D level was 25. My doc put me on 50,000 IU of D3 once a week for 3 months, then dropped it down to once a month dosing. I do take over-the-counter supplements daily. My bloodwork last week has me up at 53 now; it's working!

My D were very low several years ago, before I ever heard of gluten intolerance. I tried taking the over the counter D3 put I couldn't bring my levels up. Doctor prescribed the little green football pills (D2). With D2 my D levels came up to acceptable levels. I will check out the information on D2 Vs D3. I noticed that since D2 does not absorb as good as D3 so it takes much more of D2 units. I know 50,000 units sound like a lot. Hope your D levels improve! Keep us updated as to your results.

My vitamin D level was 17. I was prescribed drisdol 50,000 IU 2 x week for several months. My levels went up to the 60's. I was told to take vit. D 3 5000 IU per day. I have dropped back down to 39, so I suspect I will have to go back to the prescription med., since I have osteoporosis and they are trying to optimize my vitamin d while I am on forteo.

My vitamin D level was 17. I was prescribed drisdol 50,000 IU 2 x week for several months. My levels went up to the 60's. I was told to take vit. D 3 5000 IU per day. I have dropped back down to 39, so I suspect I will have to go back to the prescription med., since I have osteoporosis and they are trying to optimize my vitamin d while I am on forteo.

NO! no need to go back on prescription D2! you can get D3 in 50000 units now.

and you can simply double/triple the 5000 units caps you already have.