Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Itching Scalp

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Did i read correctly that itching scalp is a symptom of celiac? Is that tru? And that wheat is found in shampoo? What is it called?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, have had an itchy scalp for over 30 years and tried all sorts of things to get rid of it-except gluten free. I don't even bother mentioning it to Dr's as they don't see it as a symptom of anything! Maybe I can finally ley my hair grow after all these years(of course it will be grey now :( ) Sad to think of what I have put up with when I didn't have to.

liz

Ads by Google:

Hi All,

Did i read correctly that itching scalp is a symptom of celiac? Is

I have also been plagued with a itchy scalp. I also get little bumps have little bumps (like acne) on my scalp. I will be very interested to find out if they has a connection to Gluten Intolerance.

It did for me. In addition to gluten in foods I also avoid it in topicals. Soy in shampoos will also make me itchy but I don't get the sores just itchy. There are many things wheat can be labeled as in topicals. However Garneir, Giovanni, Suave, Shikai and Dove are companies that will label it clearly. If you have other reasons to suspect gluten intolerance or celiac do have your doctor screen you for it, if you haven't already. Then when testing is done go gluten free for a bit even if the tests are negative.

I used a new shampoo last night and my head is itchy as heck today...gonna go buy some gluten free stuff tomorrow...the itch is sooo bad!

Hmmm...still going through the testing but this could explain the itchy scalp, red bumps on scalp that hurt to itch...and even the small rash on my forehead that looks like DH.

It definitely seems to be related for me. I have a rash only on my scalp that I've had for as long as I can remember and it went away when I went mostly gluten free and switched to an organic shampoo with no wheat in it. Now... I'm back on gluten rich diet before celiac testing and guess what? The rash is back! I'm still using the same organic shampoo and I haven't changed anything else, so it's got to be gluten. Sounds like we have the same rash too! Little acne-like bumps that look sometimes like little tiny blisters. At least I know what it is now and no matter whether I have celiac or just gluten intolerance, I'm going gluten-free completely after testing.

i had dandruff growing up and in my 20s... it went away when took wheat out of my diet (not even gluten free yet). and now im gluten free- and still dont have it back.

past excema & psoraisis also went away going wheat free/ then gluten free

checked my shampoo and yes it actually has wheat listed as one of the top ingredients. That is crazy. I switched to another one I have at home that doesn't have wheat listed. It's an herbal essence one that may have wheat listed secretely...but hopefully it doesn't have the same effect as the tresemme one I was using.