#1 lizarch

lizarch

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:03 PM

Hi All,
Did i read correctly that itching scalp is a symptom of celiac? Is that tru? And that wheat is found in shampoo? What is it called?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, have had an itchy scalp for over 30 years and tried all sorts of things to get rid of it-except gluten free. I don't even bother mentioning it to Dr's as they don't see it as a symptom of anything! Maybe I can finally ley my hair grow after all these years(of course it will be grey now :( ) Sad to think of what I have put up with when I didn't have to.

liz

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Igg postive

Igg postive

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

Hi All,
Did i read correctly that itching scalp is a symptom of celiac? Is

I have also been plagued with a itchy scalp. I also get little bumps have little bumps (like acne) on my scalp. I will be very interested to find out if they has a connection to Gluten Intolerance.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,684 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

It did for me. In addition to gluten in foods I also avoid it in topicals. Soy in shampoos will also make me itchy but I don't get the sores just itchy. There are many things wheat can be labeled as in topicals. However Garneir, Giovanni, Suave, Shikai and Dove are companies that will label it clearly. If you have other reasons to suspect gluten intolerance or celiac do have your doctor screen you for it, if you haven't already. Then when testing is done go gluten free for a bit even if the tests are negative.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 sandrad

sandrad

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

I used a new shampoo last night and my head is itchy as heck today...gonna go buy some gluten free stuff tomorrow...the itch is sooo bad!

#5 goodnews

goodnews

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

Hmmm...still going through the testing but this could explain the itchy scalp, red bumps on scalp that hurt to itch...and even the small rash on my forehead that looks like DH.

#6 JenHarris

JenHarris

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

It definitely seems to be related for me. I have a rash only on my scalp that I've had for as long as I can remember and it went away when I went mostly gluten free and switched to an organic shampoo with no wheat in it. Now... I'm back on gluten rich diet before celiac testing and guess what? The rash is back! I'm still using the same organic shampoo and I haven't changed anything else, so it's got to be gluten. Sounds like we have the same rash too! Little acne-like bumps that look sometimes like little tiny blisters. At least I know what it is now and no matter whether I have celiac or just gluten intolerance, I'm going gluten-free completely after testing.

#7 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

i had dandruff growing up and in my 20s... it went away when took wheat out of my diet (not even gluten free yet). and now im gluten free- and still dont have it back.

past excema & psoraisis also went away going wheat free/ then gluten free
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#8 goodnews

goodnews

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:05 AM

checked my shampoo and yes it actually has wheat listed as one of the top ingredients. That is crazy. I switched to another one I have at home that doesn't have wheat listed. It's an herbal essence one that may have wheat listed secretely...but hopefully it doesn't have the same effect as the tresemme one I was using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: