This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depression And Celiac

Lucydesi

Lucydesi Rookie

Just wondering how gluten affects your mood. I have been diagnosed with depression for years and take an antidepressant which generally helps. How can I describe this . . . I can tell when I have accidentally gotten gluten because my mood can just go down the tubes. It can take me a couple of days to feel better and happier. Usually I am very fatigued as well because that is how gluten affects me. Just curious how others feel about this. :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

T.H. Community Regular

Oh yeah, depression city here.

I tend to start feeling very stressed and incapable, that kind of hopeless thing depression gets you with, you know? Then overwhelmed by everything around me.

If I get glutened a few ties in a row, as has happened on vacation a couple times, then depression really sets in and it's pretty bad.

My daughter has the exact same issue, as well.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Yes, the internal angst, depression, sense of loss and despair for no real reason are a clear sign I got gluten. It comes on fast and I wanna be alone and I get snippy with people. Thank god I know now that it was gluten. I thought I was just a you know what. :o But I'm really very nice and pleasant unless there are gliadin antibodies in my brain. It really can't be described very well. My perceptions are entirely changed for a few days. Makes me stay strict that is for sure.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

An overwhelming suicial level depression hits me as my first indication that I have been glutened. Thankfully I know what it is and now that I am gluten free it lifts within 24 hours, then everything else sets in for a few weeks. Antidepressants never helped me at all. In fact they made me worse prediagnosis. Recent research is advising doctors to test for celiac when depressed patients don't respond to antidepressants.

Lucydesi Rookie

Wow, I think that is a great way too put it. My perceptions are changed for a while and it really sucks. People can really annoy me and I would normally just blow it off. I agree about the antidepressants, they can only do so much. Seems like gluten can override their effectiveness. I am really getting careful with everything now including lipstick. Tiny traces of gluten don't seem like a luxury I can afford. :blink:

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

I'm new to gluten-free but I think that depression is one of my symptoms as well. Sometimes I will just randomly feel the urge to bang my head against walls because my emotions aren't making sense anymore. I also struggled heavily with cutting a few years ago due to sleep deprivation and depression.

I was just wondering, is it only gluten that gives this depression? Can other food intolerances cause this as well?

norahsmommy Enthusiast

I have alot of problems when glutened. They got REALLY bad early this year. I was not gluten free at that time and I was depressed and visualizing cutting myself whenever I held or walked past anything sharp. I was also starting to hear and see things that weren't real and had a very high level of anxiety. It gradually got better after a few months of being gluten free. The really scary stuff got better the fastest. The rest took a while and comes back almost at once if I get glutened. My husband can tell within a few hours if I've gotten it somewhere. It terrifies me what gluten can do to me. I really don't want to go crazy so I avoid it. =)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

keithceliac2010 Rookie

WOW!!!! Thanks to all of you who can speak freely and candidly about the dark secrets of depression. No one(including myself) has ever been able to put a finger on my depression or help with the desparate feelings. I have seen several psychiatrist over the last 15 years and had several changes in anti-depressant medication, and nothing has come near to changing my moods ands perceptions like going gluten free(5 weeks now). What a wonderful feeling to have that black cloud dissapate. Reading your posts let me know I am not alone in this, for you have all been through EXACTLY what I have been through. If there is a HELL, it does not scare me, for I have been to HELL and back, and I have finally been released from its clutches. Normally, Mondays are really blah, and almost unbearable. But today, even though the sky is black with storm clouds and the temps dropped into the 30's, I can hold my head high and life seems so much brighter-no more doom and gloom-been there done that-and Done with it for good. Btw-I have had an accidental glutening in the last 4 weeks and yes, it took my right back down the spiral stairway to Madness-Gluten is some nasty stuff I tell ya. But WE are the lucky ones. It is up to us to spread the word and try to find the thousands if not millions of undiagnosed celiacs who are living in their own little HELL. You guys and gals have a Bright and Wonderful Day!!!!

Evangeline Explorer

4 of my Celiac friends have discovered that soy (including soy lecithin and soy oil) causes them to have depression. REALLY BAD DEPRESSION. It usually hits them about 2-3 hours after eating it and the effects will last for 3-4 days. After researching it, I found that there are many other Celiacs who are sensitive to soy and can become suicidally depressed when they eat the smallest amount. One of my friends not only becomes depressed on soy but also AGGRESSIVE. AND IRRITABLE. WOW! They blow up about everything. And I found others stating this same occurring on other forums for Celiacs.

So, try removing all gluten AND SOY. This includes soy lecithin and soy oil. Even TRACES of soy seem to have a huge impact. Also, remember that soy is in vitamins, supplements, natural flavors and almost all "gluten-free products."

Evangeline Explorer

Also, I have been researching the topic of Celiac Disease and depression for about two months now. Soy is usually the biggest cause of depression, but I have been reading this might be caused by a GLUTAMATE intolerance. About 40% of Celiacs find that taking a glutamate supplement made them feel worse, even though it is a product aimed at healing the intestines after gluten-attacks. If you notice that you have a gluten-like reaction to pure glutamate (aka glutamic acid), then you might have this intolerance. According to everything I've read, the four big foods that contain glutamate are gluten, soy, corn and dairy. If you do discover you have a reaction to glutamic acid, then you need to remove all traces of these foods from your diet. Usually, after removing them for 2-4 months, you'll notice you definitely have a reaction to the food if you re-add it to your diet. For example, if you nibble on something with corn, you may just feel like killing yourself (literally) the next day because the depression will be so bad.

When I removed all four of these foods from my diet, my hair finally started to grow back. And my friends who were sensitive to soy eventually learned that they were all sensitive to glutamate as well -- not just gluten.

But you must be vigilant. Corn is in citric acid, ascorbic acid, vitamins, supplements, calcium products... you name it! The diet will be very "back to basics" but it might be worth it in the end if it stops your depression completely.

Best of luck.

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

judging from the comments here, it seems that I may have a sensitivity to soy as well (but not corn). ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

After eating cookies made with soybean oil I was hit with a depression that came out of NOWHERE. I wanted to cut myself it was so bad. I thought it was gluten contamination from old ingredients from my pre-celiac days, but... had gluten-free cookies yesterday with soy lecithin in them and BAM. There it was again, right before bedtime I just started crying.

This is so frustrating! Had to go through my pantry a SECOND time to get rid of everything soy, including veggie oil (replaced with canola), crisco (replaced with palm oil shortening), TUNA canned in broth (with organic tuna canned only with salt) and all kinds of other things. Including ensure, my go-to meal replacement when feeling ill.

I haven't noticed depression after having corn, though (had popcorn for lunch today and feel fine now, just residual headache from soy).

but that's the name of the game I guess. I just want to get better... no more fatigue, headaches, random depression. so out soy goes.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Good for you! You will feel soooo much better.

Soy is almost as bad a gluten for me.

I started thinking I was allergic to everything I ate.

But 6 months into this and having eliminated gluten, soy, dairy, and almost all corn, I feel really better. I eat corn chips like once a month and popcorn once in a while.

But arrrgh....corn is in ascorbic acid? Why? How? I use ascorbic acid powder to dissolve and drink since I thought it was most pure.

Anyway, Strawberry Jam, I'm so glad you are getting this figured out. You are only 21! You are gonna have a great life. I am 47 and have been symptomatic since I was your age. I love knowing when younger people catch on to this and save their health from the disaster some of us have had to live. You hang in there girl!

Evangeline Explorer

Good for you! You will feel soooo much better.

Soy is almost as bad a gluten for me.

I started thinking I was allergic to everything I ate.

But 6 months into this and having eliminated gluten, soy, dairy, and almost all corn, I feel really better. I eat corn chips like once a month and popcorn once in a while.

But arrrgh....corn is in ascorbic acid? Why? How? I use ascorbic acid powder to dissolve and drink since I thought it was most pure.

Anyway, Strawberry Jam, I'm so glad you are getting this figured out. You are only 21! You are gonna have a great life. I am 47 and have been symptomatic since I was your age. I love knowing when younger people catch on to this and save their health from the disaster some of us have had to live. You hang in there girl!

Yes, corn is in all sources of vitamin C. If you want a more complete list, click here: Open Original Shared Link

I just assume corn or soy is in every ingredient that has an odd name. I now make everything at home. Also, beware of vitmains and supplements that add glutamate or glutamic acid. If you are sensitive to either of those foods, it could excaborate your depression.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Well I'm back on this forum after a long absence and it's so wonderful to return and see familiar posters and such great intellegent information being shared.

I was gluten free and so many other issues, soy, dairy, oxalates, nightshades etc for 5 1/2 years and never cheated once.

Moved to CA and got so sick and found a new dr who didn't think old tests were accurate and of course did all the standard GI tests.

He came up with microscopic colitis and put me on asacol and it really hepled and then had 3 bouts of C-diff.

After the move from Pa to CA and eating gluten and all the other 'foods' with no intestianl issues i'm finding that the depression is just over welming. Of course i put it all onto move adjustment, stopping smoking after years of smoking and going on Wellbutrin to help with smoking and depression got off that and dr i do not like put me on savella for fibro pain.

well a dear old friend on her suggested I try going gluten free again for 2 weeks and see if there is a difference in the depression so ...........I'm back...............

It's just been 2 days but fibro pain seems worse so i guess it will just take time for body to adjust. I have eaten gluten as GI said i was intollerenat to eat what i could and see what bothers me. I'm find digestive wise which sure wasn't the case even going gluten-free and other sensitivities. I should have know.............a little gluten is still gluten.

hope this post makes sence. Even was reading threads about anxiety and ringing in the ears which i just thought were the meds. Seems I need to do some serious reading here.

Thanks for listening.

Judy

Evangeline Explorer

judging from the comments here, it seems that I may have a sensitivity to soy as well (but not corn). ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

I did not have any symptoms to corn before I started the corn avoidance diet. I would have never believed anyone who said I might be sensitive. When I removed ALL TRACES of corn from my diet for two months, I had the biggest reaction in my life when I accidently ate a little. But it was not like I was eating large amounts of corn prior to this avoidance diet -- in fact, I would say I never ate corn period. But I did allow it to be in all my vitamins, supplements and products that contained citric and ascorbic acid. So it was when I removed these small traces of corn for two months and then reintroduced it again did I have the HUGE reaction.

So, its practically impossible to know if you are corn intolerant without having avoiding all traces of it for two months.

Also, since now keeping corn completely out of my diet, I notice my intestines are finally healing. I have stopped getting diarrhea on rice. So my intestines are finally healing.

Archived