5 replies to this topic

#1 ship

ship

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:27 PM

My daughter was positive on a blood test and negative on a biopsy. She is IgA deficient. She is also pre-diabetic.

Question #1 what does that mean???

My son has been having horrible stomach pains for 2 years. The Dr. was only willing to check him if my daughters biopsy came back positive. His blood test came back negative but he is severely IgA deficient and that changes blood tests.

Question #2 Should I push the issue and talk to the Dr. AGAIN about checking my son or just remove glutin from his diet on my own.

My husband and I are very frustrated with all this. Our son has horrible joint pain, horrible stomach pain, asthma, IgA deficiency, allergies (wheat, oats and eggs). We don't know what to do or where to turn to get our boy some help. If our daughter would have been positive in the biopsy then our son would be checked next. Now we are left to "monitor his pain" for a few more months. There is only 1 pediatric gastro in the area otherwise we would get a 2nd opinion.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

Hi ship.
The Dr. who did the biopsy may have missed the damaged areas, damage can be patchy, or maybe didn't do enough biopsies. Since her blood was positive you should try gluten-free and see if it helps her.
Can you list the blood tests and ranges for your children? There are many people here that are very good at understanding the results. Also to make sure they have had all the correct testing for celiac. Other testing you could have done is vitamin and mineral levels to be sure they are not deficient in any of those. Vitamin deficiencies are also symptoms.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#3 mikyraso

mikyraso

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:50 AM

My daughter was positive on a blood test and negative on a biopsy. She is IgA deficient. She is also pre-diabetic.

Question #1 what does that mean???

My son has been having horrible stomach pains for 2 years. The Dr. was only willing to check him if my daughters biopsy came back positive. His blood test came back negative but he is severely IgA deficient and that changes blood tests.

Question #2 Should I push the issue and talk to the Dr. AGAIN about checking my son or just remove glutin from his diet on my own.

My husband and I are very frustrated with all this. Our son has horrible joint pain, horrible stomach pain, asthma, IgA deficiency, allergies (wheat, oats and eggs). We don't know what to do or where to turn to get our boy some help. If our daughter would have been positive in the biopsy then our son would be checked next. Now we are left to "monitor his pain" for a few more months. There is only 1 pediatric gastro in the area otherwise we would get a 2nd opinion.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I just have a question. Are you seeing a Gastro Dr. or is it your Pediatrician that won't do the testing? As mom's we know when our children are hurting and it is hard when we don't get the help we need.

#4 ship

ship

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:10 AM

Blood test results for things that were a little off are:

Calcium 9.8 Normal being 8.0-9.5
RDW-SD 34.7 Normal Being 36.4-54.5 I don't know what that is
Lymphocytes 18.5 Normal Being 30.0-65.0 Don't know what that is
Gliadin IGG AB 15.0 Nromal under 10
IGA 63 Normal being 64-246
Hemoglobin 6.0 Normal being 4.0-5.7
Estimated Average Glucose 126
ALT (SGPT) 28 Normal 30-65 Don't know what that is

We are currently seeing a Pediatric Gastro for 2 of my kids. We started off with my son but his blood work came back normal. His IgA is 12 with 64 being the low normal. The Gastro would only be willing to do the Endo if my daughters biopsy came back normal. My daughter has only been in pain for less than 3 months. My son has been in pain for 2 years but has never been checked out. We are very frustrated.

Thank you both for looking at my post.

#5 mikyraso

mikyraso

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

Blood test results for things that were a little off are:

Calcium 9.8 Normal being 8.0-9.5
RDW-SD 34.7 Normal Being 36.4-54.5 I don't know what that is
Lymphocytes 18.5 Normal Being 30.0-65.0 Don't know what that is
Gliadin IGG AB 15.0 Nromal under 10
IGA 63 Normal being 64-246
Hemoglobin 6.0 Normal being 4.0-5.7
Estimated Average Glucose 126
ALT (SGPT) 28 Normal 30-65 Don't know what that is

We are currently seeing a Pediatric Gastro for 2 of my kids. We started off with my son but his blood work came back normal. His IgA is 12 with 64 being the low normal. The Gastro would only be willing to do the Endo if my daughters biopsy came back normal. My daughter has only been in pain for less than 3 months. My son has been in pain for 2 years but has never been checked out. We are very frustrated.

Thank you both for looking at my post.

Have you considered taking him to a different Dr. ?

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

Do you have a copy of your son's test results? A serum IGA of 12 is extremely low. How many of the IGG tests did they run? I notice you listed only Gliadin IGG for your daughter. What tests did they run on your son? You should be looking on there for tTG, EMA and DGP. These are the other tests that constitute the celiac panel, and since your son is not an IGA producer they should have run the IGG versions of all these.

I believe the ALT is a liver function test.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009