Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Has Anyone Had Experience With Amitiza? gluten-free?

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 cap6

cap6

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

Has anyone had any experience with Amitiza? It was just prescribed for me for severe constipation. I really hate to get started on any "heavy duty" stuff but.... I am getting a little desperate here
Also, does anyone know if it it gluten-free for sure. Everything I have looked up shows that it is but want to be absolute! Thanks..........

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cnm2012

cnm2012

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

Has anyone had any experience with Amitiza? It was just prescribed for me for severe constipation. I really hate to get started on any "heavy duty" stuff but.... I am getting a little desperate here
Also, does anyone know if it it gluten-free for sure. Everything I have looked up shows that it is but want to be absolute! Thanks..........

Sorry new to here, I just tried it for a couple of days with horrid results, like complete body aches, headaches, weird mood swings that i'm trying to get over. I'm also new to being gluten free but have also noticed most gluten free products contain no protein or fiber. So I started adding more fruits, veggies, and flax in my diet to counteract the C. ( I also ended up with severe diarrhea from it)

#3 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:54 AM

try lax a day, its active ingredient is p.e.g 3550, non addictive and a stool partner rather than laxative. When our daughter gets bad we have to do a double dose for 3 days to clear out what is backed up and then a single dose daily for at least 3 months, works lime charm with no side effects well apart from the 3 days when the whole world seems to escape from her hind quarters!
try to avoid prepackaged food for a while till your gutheals

#4 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

I was referred to a GI dr who tried to get me to take that but after reading about the side effects I decided not to. I do take a herbal laxative tea called Smooth Move and it works well with no side effect, at least for me. Can't go with out it. Wish I didn't need anything but feel like I have no choice. Eat lots of veggies & good stuff but doesn't seem to matter.

#5 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:42 AM

Most laxatives with stool softeners are not gluten-free. Try something like Movicol, which works well.

To up your fibre intake, use bean flours .. Take 2 tb psyllium in 1 glass juice per day - natural soluble fibre .. add psyllium in your baking ..

#6 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

My GI put me on MiraLax and 1 Senna tablet twice a day - great combo for me, works very well. MiraLax is gluten free, as is generic Walgreens brand Senna. GI also said the fact that I take Culturelle probiotic will help - I have to agree. I've been pretty much 'regular' ever since being on it.
Don't forget the water - lots of it!
As for extra fiber... that approach is a no go (pun intended) for me. For whatever reason, too much roughage only binds me up.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change"
- Charles Darwin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: