This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Can I Bring With Me?

ACopsWife

ACopsWife Rookie

My husband and I and some friends are going to Six Flags this weekend. I had to get a doctor's note to bring in my own food and I've been told by the six flags staff it can not be in a cooler. So I am new to this diet and don't have a lot of things yet. What can I bring that is fast and easy to eat during the day so I don't starve.

Thanks,

Heather

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

For the day you could bring gluten-free granola bars--i can think of a ton- clif nectar bars, bumble bars, enjoy life bars (to name a few); fruit roll-up type snacks--i like fruit leathers and kettle bars--100% fruit; dried fruit; nuts; beef jerky (i know tiffany likes to take that on trips); i would bring some veggies, like carrot sticks; some gluten-free bread and peanut butter; gluten-free crackers or cereal, cookies or a muffin (i make homemade and freeze to pull out when i want); chips and an unopened container of salsa... I'm sure others will have more ideas. Good luck!

flagbabyds Collaborator

Chips, energy bars, basically your favorite gluten-free snack. Make a sandwich on your favorite gluten-free bread, you can also but the popcorn and chips there if that makes it a bit easier. If they say it can't be in a cooler then just put it in a backpack and if you want to keep it cold, throw some icebacgs in there.

This shouldn't be a stressful event, but fun.

lovegrov Collaborator

Leave the cooler in the car and go out to eat lunch.

richard

Jnkmnky Collaborator

You could argue this point with 6Flags. Celiac Disease is a disability. You have rights under the laws that protect people with disabilities. If I were you, I'd call them again and explain this to them. A small lunch bag with a gluten free sandwich and a couple of gluten free snacks isn't infringing on their opportunity to run a profit making business. On the other hand, you could forgo the confrontation and double check their policy regarding leaving the park. A lot of parks offer a stamp on the hand for visitors who want to go back out to their cars. Sometimes you simply have to show your ticket at the entry way and they double check that you did indeed buy it that day. Your day pass is good *all day* usually whether you stay all day or leave the park for some period of time. At the parks I've been to over the years, we bring a cooler full of food and "tailgate" halfway through the visit. Lots of people do this, actually. I have a hard time imagining that 6Flags doesn't allow people who've purchased a day pass, to go out to their cars midway through the day for any reason at all. I've been to mulitple parks across the country over the last four years with my celiac disease son and NONE has given me a headache when I told them at the entrance way....My son has Celiac Disease. It's an autoimmune disease that requires he maintain a gluten free diet. It is not an allergy. Will you allow me to bring his gluten free lunch and snack into the park? We will purchase other foods for the family members who do not have Celiac Disease. ** Never have I been told I couldn't bring his food in. Most look at me like I'm asking them for the meaning of life and shoo me off with a have a nice day look. :):)

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Oh, you want to bring in a cooler? Just for yourself? A personal sized bag should be enough. I can see why they wouldn't want you to bring in a cooler. Kid's lunch bags are made these days to keep food cold all day...that's a "cooler". Just smaller than the image of a traditional "cooler". You should be fine. It sounds like communication lines are getting a little fuzzy.

connole1056 Rookie

I know at Six Flags in Mass people bring food and go to the car to eat when they want it, then go back into the park after. I think bringing food in your pocketbook or small lunchbox would be fine. The worst that can happen is the staff at the gate would tell you to return it to your car. I do not know how hungry you get, but you cannot possibly be talking about a large amount of food. It should be easy to sneak it in if you have to. I would not bring anything in a glass container because that would be dangerous if it broke and the staff would be unlikely to bend on that rule. Are you willing to buy your beverages in the park? If so, the most you would need to bring would be a sandwich. There are chips and some ice cream treats that were gluten-free at the park I went to. If you have allergies on top of celiac disease that might be more difficult, but you should be able to find some gluten-free snacks otherwise. In most instances if you act like you are doing nothing wrong/sneaky people will go along with you. Just tell the person at the gate you have permission to bring in your own food and they will likely let you in with it. OR try putting it in a small diaper bag. You can always get through with one of those!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest gliX

when i went to six flags america last year i ate near my car before going in the park..

kraft lunchable nachoes are gluten free

Archived