This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Common Is Gastroparesis Here?

Chopper

Chopper Apprentice

Hello,

After discovering celiac with an upper endoscopy (it was a silent disease for me), at the same time they discovered antral gastritis and gastroparesis. The gastroparesis continues to worsen even though I've been gluten free since August. Gastritis remains the same. I now have a positive ANA (1:320), so there might be a connective tissue disease we're looking for, maybe sjogren's. But I have two questions:

1. Can celiac (even though gluten free for nearly 8 months) cause a positive ANA of 1:320, speckled?

2. Does celiac cause gastroparesis, and if so would it worsen after being gluten free for nearly 8 months?

Anyone with similar experience?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Chopper Apprentice

Maybe I got my answer by no one replying. Maybe celiac and gastroparesis aren't really connected. And maybe celiac and a positive ANA aren't connected either. It seems we're looking at a connective tissue disease.

Marz Enthusiast

Hi there

I think quite a few suffered from it before going gluten free. How strict is your diet - any chance of small amounts of gluten getting in? Have you had follow up tests to check blood antibodies or intestine to see if you are healing?

I was " diagnosed" with non ulcerative gastoparesis while trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Turns out I was gluten intolerant instead!

Hope you figure out what the problem is. You do know there is often greater chance of developing other auto-immune diseases like sjorens, when you have celiac? Bu if you are gluten-free it shouldn't be such a problem still?

Woody Rookie

Chooper: When I hwas dignosed with Celiac in 2005 [by an upper GI, blood test neg.] My Dr. had me do the test for gastroparesis[stomach empting]. Showed I had it.

So no more salds. Woody

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I also have Gastroparesis diagnosed by the capsule test. In addition I have GERD, hiatal hernia, IBS. I am dairy free and gluten free.

Darn210 Enthusiast

My daughter was diagnosed with it at about the same time as she was diagnosed with celiac disease. Doc thought it was related. He put her on a med for a couple of months to help motility until she had a chance to heal. She has intermittent issues...when glutened and strangely enough about once a month around the same time which I think may be hormonal.

Cinderella10 Newbie

I definitely have gastroparesis, and that diagnosis came a year after being strictly gluten-free. About 4 months later I discovered I had several food allergies, and I thought that was the cause of the gastroparesis. It wasn't. If I'm gluten- and allergy-free and do my best to eat what I need for my gastroparesis, I'm mostly okay. Still have good days and bad days, and it's a delicate balance, but I do feel better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Chopper Apprentice

Hi Marz,

I took the celiac diagnosis very seriously and I consider myself very strict, which I why I'm puzzled why the GP is worsening. And maybe it's another AI underlying it. Thank you for your reply.

Chopper Apprentice

Thank you all for your replies. If it turns out I don't have another AI disease causing it, I'll take comfort in knowing there are others with celiac and GP! Thank you!

deezer Apprentice

Hi Marz,

I took the celiac diagnosis very seriously and I consider myself very strict, which I why I'm puzzled why the GP is worsening. And maybe it's another AI underlying it. Thank you for your reply.

How strict are you? Do you eat "gluten free" packaged food, or do you prepare everything for yourself? Have you ever tested your food?

Chopper Apprentice

How strict are you? Do you eat "gluten free" packaged food, or do you prepare everything for yourself? Have you ever tested your food?

Sorry, just saw your question! I prepare most everything from scratch using gluten-free flours, like muffins and bread. There are a few gluten-free prepackaged items I buy, like Riceworks crackers and a couple other snacks. I avoid dairy except an occasional indulgence in a hard cheese. How do you 'test' your food?

I just got the diagnosis this week of limited scleroderma and hoshimotos, so maybe that's contributing to my tummy problems. I guess only time will tell!

• 4 years later...
dawn777 Newbie

Hi,

I got diagnosed with Celiac first and when I only improved halfway, I got tested and diagnosed with gastroparesis, the medicine works well, but it has its own diet, no greasy foods or strawberry seeds, many things, I am two different diets for Celiac and GP. GP diet is important too. I take Eyrthmycin Tabs as well for GP.

GFinDC Veteran

Welcome Dawn!  Since celiac disease interferes with the ability to absorb vitamins, it can cause nerve problems.  It's a good idea to be tested for vitamins levels at the beginning of the gluten-free diet, so we know if we are lacking any.  Some people are low in B vitamins, and that can cause nerve issues.  Which could cause gastroparesis.  So might be worth looking at.

• 2 weeks later...
zenjess1980 Contributor

I have gastroparisis, or go through phases of it [have had the testing for it.]  I think its related to both celiac and my diabetes. 

Archived