This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tastycake

modiddly16

modiddly16 Enthusiast

They have mainstream gluten free cookies!!!!!! Chocolate Chip and Chocolate Chocolate chip. Did anyone know this?? Usually when a big company like that goes gluten free, I hear about it from this board but unless I completely missed it, I stood in the store with my jaw dropped. Naturally I bought them (despite the obvious cc risks that I know people will bring up), sadly...the Betty Crocker ones are better but its still awesome to know they're there!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

I just looked on their online store and didn't see any gluten free cookies. I called and they said that they didn't have gluten free anything?!

Is the name Tastycake? The company out of PA that sells the snackcakes?

Thanks! :)

modiddly16 Enthusiast

The person you talked to is insane.....Yes, here is a picture. 685xn9.webp

GFreeMO Proficient

Wow! Those look good. Are they soft and chewy or more crispy? I can't believe that the rep. on the phone was not aware that her company made these. Jeez!

Where did you find them?

Takala Enthusiast

Maybe it is a test marketing ? The only thing I can find online (looked everywhere) is a pdf that is on google documents which is a Business Plus Presentation of Tastykake New Product Launch. It's an outline with no date on it. But the product is for gluten free tastykakes.

That's strange they'd try it with gluten-free cookies, when the most famous Tastykake regular items are the krimpets (a rectangular shaped frosted cupcake) and kandy cakes, which are small spongecakes "enrobed" in chocolate frosting.

If they could actually do a gluten-free krimpet people would go nuts. The facebook page was funny, they are going to sell regular tastykakes at baseball games again this year and handle the frosting issue by keeping them in coolers at the ballpark. There is a promo to win Phillies tickets for opening day. Open Original Shared Link

The uwishunu site for Philladelphia actually has a tastykake tag. Open Original Shared Link

lpellegr Collaborator

Astonishing. I hope they can stay in business, they're having money issues. I would kill for a gluten-free Tastykake lemon pie.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I got them in a Weis Markets in PA. They're softish...and honestly, not that great but I just was astonished that I didn't hear about it on this board before I saw it in the stores! I feel like where I was in PA wouldn't have been a very successful test market but maybe they're trying it out within a certain distance from Philly? I agree, it's strange to start it out with cookies...I'd love a krimpet!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 months later...
Patti B Newbie

One of my friends sent me an mms today with a pic of these at Shoprite in Neptune, NJ. I can't wait to get there to try them out!! Any word on if they are made in a separate facility or if they at least batch test them?

Takala Enthusiast

I don't know what is more annoying here, that the Tastykake website does not have them (the gluten-free chocolate chip cookies) obviously on the links to their homepage, or that once you do find them, they still don't list the ingredients.

So I've read a lot of reviews, and the dingy reviewers mostly are not saying what the ingredients are, either. I mean, come on, folks, why do you think people buy this stuff.

This person finally mentions the ingredients but does not provide a full list. 6/27/11 Gluten Free Dairy Free NJ

Tastykake Gluten Free Choc Chip Cookies New Product Review

Open Original Shared Link

Good news is that they are supposedly dairy free.... bad news is that they have soy flour. <_< Hello.. what is one of the more common problems for celiacs and gluten intolerants.... somebody was not thinking on this one.

A couple of things did stand out from the package though: 1) there is no

Archived