Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Symptoms After Gluten Free For 2 Years

3 posts in this topic

Can you still have symtoms after being gluten free for 2 years? And have different types of food allergies after 2 years? I am wondering if it isn't candida but the doctor doesn't think so. I am so tired and have trouble with wanting to cook after I get home from work. Does anyone have any ideas to help?

I have vitamin D deficiency. Maybe need to move to Golden Co.

Thanks for any ideas.

Ads by Google:

You need to get your Vit D levels up if they are low. Low D can cause fatigue and a host of other issues. Do you know what your levels are? Your Dr. can give you an Rx Vit D to get the levels up faster. I have gone through the low D and it ain't fun.

I have read many posts by people who became sensitive to lower gluten levels after they had been gluten free for a couple of years. It certainly happened to me. I did start taking D, but that isn't what helped my energy levels, it was cutting out more processed foods which helped the most. I started keeping a food diary and challenging everything. After a long while I managed to get a diet which works for me.

I still don't have other food allergies. I just have to really watch my sources. I can tolerate dairy only from one farmer, only eggs from another, only chicken from another. Fortunately for me these farmers all work together so it is one stop at the farmer's market. They don't feed their animals gluten grains. That seems to make the difference for me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I've just read SO MUCH about the long, arduous process of getting a positive diagnosis through traditional medicine - I'm not sure I want to put myself through all that. Since my father WAS positively diagnosed - I carry the celiac gene and another gene that predisposes me to gluten sensitivity - and my fecal tests for gliadin were SO elevated - there are enough reasons for me to go to a gluten free diet. The true medical diagnosis would just make it easier for my family/friends to believe the necessity of it. My children are adults and not particularly health care nuts. I doubt they would take their own risk seriously without a medical diagnosis. I'm afraid my husband, while he is trying to be supportive at this point, will grow weary of all the things I no longer serve at meals and all the places we will no longer go to because there are not gluten free alternatives on the menu. A medical diagnosis would make it easier for him, long term, I think.  I don't have much faith in general in our western health care system. My mother died 6 months ago at age 82 after 4-5 years of many different health issues. She had given up the keys to her car in her late 70's after getting lost several times. I became her designated driver to all doctor appointments, procedures, hospital stays, etc. The incompetence and disregard I saw blew me away. I'm surprised any elderly people survive our health care system once they get on that revolving door. The reason I started seeing a naturopath is that I am looking for an alternative to medical doctors for most of my health issues as I age. I know there are some things I still have to see them for - and of course, they are essential in trauma and emergency situations. But I am on a quest to follow a more holistic approach to my health care. If this is the path I am choosing, then I have to follow my gut (no pun intended) in situations like this. I think the only reason I would go through the medical testing would be for other people - not me. It seems to me, that with so many people being gluten intolerant these days, a decent M.D. would listen to a patient that was adamant about their intent to live gluten free - positive celiac diagnosis or not (and especially with the gene and stool test results). I mean, they don't tell vegetarians they have to eat meat ... and vegetarianism is a personal choice. Sorry if I seem to be rambling ... this is all so new, and I'm trying to find my way.    
    • This subject is often raised on this site, especially by women.  I am prompted to raise it again today, having spoken to my doctor who has said that she has noticed that celiacs often have thin hair, especially in later years.   Rather than just accept what she thinks is just the inevitable I would really like to hear from anyone who really has seen great improvement in their own hair and what they did. There are lots of tips on line but I am particularly interested in hearing from someone who has actually been there, done that, and now has better hair!  
    • This subject is often raised on this site, especially by women.  I am prompted to raise it again today, having spoken to my doctor who has said that she has noticed that celiacs often have thin hair, especially in later years.   Rather than just accept what she thinks is just the inevitable I would really like to hear from anyone who really has seen great improvement in their own hair and what they did. There are lots of tips on line but I am particularly interested in hearing from someone who has actually been there, done that, and now has better hair!  
    • Oh i hope so!! I'm really anxious about the procedure as I've never done it before. I've been through operations but never an endoscopy and the thought of it is really scaring me! Thank you for giving me some courage! 
    • You are right, the tests could be invalid.   All the celiac tests require you to be on a gluten-containing diet.  It is up to you to decide if you want to go gluten free.  You can do it.  Believe me, I know.  Hubby is not officially diagnosed.  He went gluten-free 15 years ago, based on the rather poor advice from my allergist and his GP.  It worked though.  But he would be the first to tell you that I have had way more support in terms of family and medical.    We think he has it.  Both of our families are riddled with autoimmine disorders.  I am the first to be diagnosed.   My Aunt went gluten free per the advice of her Chiropractor.  Her other doctors never suspected celiac disease.  The diet obviously worked for her.  Her daughter (my cousin) is a nurse.  She had an endoscopy but they did not check for celiac disease.  She chose to go gluten-free too since it worked for her mom.  Both will not do a gluten challenge.  However, my diagnosis has helped them get proper medical treatment.  My Aunt is very active in a celiac support group.    Now everyone in my family knows about celiac disease.  My own niece was just diagnosed with Crohn's, but her GI did test and will continue to test her for celiac disease.  You can develop additional autoimmune disorders at any time.   So far, a few other members have been tested.  No one else had had a celiac disease diagnosis yet.  Time will tell.  If I can save someone from the misery of struggling to get a diagnosis, then I can feel good.   Now, an official diagnosis will help you adhere to the diet .  You can get follow-up care.  Get checked for other things like SIBO, H. Pylori and cancer.  But ultimately, it is up to you.   Whatever you decided to do, please consider a family health history chart.  You might someday help a grandchild.   The stool tests?  In all my research, leading celiac experts do not recommend them.  http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/why-dont-you-recognize-tests-stool-tests-or-otherwise-for-gluten-sensitivity-that-are-currently-available-through-companies-like-enterolab-or-cyrex/ gene testing?  Some 30% of the poulation carries the celiac genes.  It just tells you that you have the chance to develop celiac disease.  It can not diagnose you.    
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    KerryO