#1 LolaK

LolaK

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

Hi

I've posted before - my teenage son had a positive blood test but negative biopsy.

I was reading on another thread that false positive blood tests are extremely rare? My GP said that the blood tests were not terribly reliable, although one of the consultants later said they had a high rate of reliability!!!! I am confused - also my son had a second blood test at the hospital before his biopsy and that was negative - has anyone else experienced this and is there any reason why this should happen? (he was still eating heaps of gluten before the second blood test and biopsy).

I also feel annoyed that I couldn't go to hospital with him as my daughter was ill - his father accompanied him - I had wanted to ask how many samples they would take for biopsy - it turns out they took three! :angry:

Thanks in advance - you have all been very helpful and supportive!

Lola

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

It all depends what blood testing they did the second time. Perhaps they only did the TtG. Some people test positive on some celiac tests and negative on others; this is why they should do a celiac panel. Can you get copies of his test results (blood and biopsy) and post them here on the forum. This would help us understand what is going on perhaps.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 LolaK

LolaK

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

It all depends what blood testing they did the second time. Perhaps they only did the TtG. Some people test positive on some celiac tests and negative on others; this is why they should do a celiac panel. Can you get copies of his test results (blood and biopsy) and post them here on the forum. This would help us understand what is going on perhaps.

Thank you Mushroom - I've not seen any results for the blood tests, we were just told verbally, but I will ask the GP for a copy. I did get the biopsy result which said no sign of coeliac disease, villus architecture in tact etc. The endoscopy showed patches of Duodenitis.

#4 cassP

cassP

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

Thank you Mushroom - I've not seen any results for the blood tests, we were just told verbally, but I will ask the GP for a copy. I did get the biopsy result which said no sign of coeliac disease, villus architecture in tact etc. The endoscopy showed patches of Duodenitis.

i would advise to ALWAYS request copies of all results- in my experience-> 90% of the time- they neglect to tell me something important, or they dont examine the results to fully understand or diagnose.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: