3 replies to this topic

#1 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

I have a few snacks we've picked up that have worked to take on trips - but very few. Anyone else have some favorites? Things they have to make with nothing or very little processed, but are easy to transport? These are what I've got. :)

1. Roasted chickpeas - there are lots of recipes for this on the web. They end up like corn nuts - totally crunchy. I found out that you can do almost any of the roasted chickpea recipes with most beans, too. So we've made crunchy pinto beans, too. Our most basic version just had chickpeas, olive oil, and salt.

2. Roasted squash and melon seeds. These have become a big staple at our house, when they're in season. Any squash we make, we roast the seeds. Honeydew and cantaloupe seeds can be roasted too. After roasting, you have to crack them and discard the shell when you're eating them, like you would sunflower seeds.

3. If you can have whole grain amaranth, shredded coconut, and a liquid, gooey sweetener, you can mix them together to get a consistency that will form little balls. We had to wrap them in wax paper, but they would still travel well. Can't eat this anymore, ourselves, but it was good while it lasted. :-)

4. Cacao nibs, a chopped nut, a dried fruit, a gooey sweetener, and something that could bind them together (like whole grain amaranth or gluten-free oats) will make a kind of granola bar. Maybe a home ground flour might work instead of a whole grain, too.

Looking forward to hear what everyone else is eating when they go out. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

We like popcorn. I pop it in olive oil. Dried fruit or other fruit snacks. I buy bags of sliced apples and baby carrots from Costco. Also individual cups of hummus. Can put them in a cooler. Otherwise shelf stable individual hummus that I get at minimus.biz. We also like green beans and other canned beans such as kidney. Not so good for eating in a moving vehicle but great to eat when you stop and can drain the can.

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

Homemade fruit leather.

#4 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:07 AM

I take a cooler. :) Chicken grilled and cut up. Baby carrots. Fruit. I like some of your ideas -- must try these!
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: