124 replies to this topic

#1 idonteatwheat

idonteatwheat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:12 AM

I always wondered how much some chef's cared about making something safe for a celiac. I was talking to a friend this morning and she mentioned a facebook post from someone she knew and how he would give people asking for gluten free food regular pasta. I'm not normally so quick to post this but if you look at where he has worked you can see he has has some serious training. Here's the link to his post:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100001260439226&sk=wall

and here is his post....

Damian Cardone
Gluten free is bullXXX!! Flour and bread have been a staple of life for thousands, THOUSANDS of years. People who claim to be gluten intolorent dont realize that its all in there disturbed liitle heads. People ask me for gluten free pasta in my restaurant all the time, I tell em sure, Then I serve serve em our pasta, Which I make from scratch with high gluten flour. And you know what? nothing, NOTHING! ever happens! People leave talking about how good they feel gluten free and guess what, They just had a full dose! Idiots!

Here's his info on his profile...
Damian J. Cardone has apprienticed under Swiss, Master Chef Kurt Wigger. Damian was the Executive Chef at the Sopris Chalet, Restaurant, Aspen, Co. Executive Banquet Chef at the Tavern on the Green N.Y.C.
After apprienticing under Master Chef Kurt Wigger, Switzerland. Whom, was the last person to study under Du Franze, who was the last person on earth to study under Georges Agustus Esscoffier.
Spending time between Aspen and NYC. In 05 and 06, Damian upheld the position as the wedding/banquet Chef at the Tavern on the Green. Has apeared on Regis and Kelli, Project Runway, numerous P.B.S. segments. Personally cooked for Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Tom Hanks, Segourney Weaver, and George Clooney. Currently resides in Glenwood Springs Colorado as a private chef for hire, and learning how to make tacos.

I am not a friend of his, it is all out there for the world to see, for now anyhow. I have to say I am amazed at the anger and the stupidity of his post. I would love to know where he is working right now and let them know about it. And we wonder why we react sometimes when we eat out....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:35 AM

I sent him a nice message telling him I'd keep watching because a lawsuit will be coming if he's telling people he's serving them gluten free pasta and intentionally serving gluten-filled pasta! What a world class jerk.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:41 AM

I am speechless...and if you have read any of my posts, you know that doesn't happen very often... :o :o :o :blink:

I am thinking of many things I would call him, but they would be edited for sure. :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:51 AM

I have something in mind to try to stop him. If we leave a bunch of messages, he will know he might be in trouble and delete the post. I need that post to stay on because it will be a big hassle to subpeona deleted posts from FB and it probably not go anywhere.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:15 AM

That is unbelievable!! I'm to the point where I'm actually scared to mention to restaurants that I need to be gluten free. Some seem very good about it, but others are just completely uneducated. We don't go out to eat very often because it just isn't an enjoyable experience for me....even if I order off of a "gluten free menu", I'm still paranoid the next two days about every little "feeling" I have - was that a stomach bubble, am I getting a migraine, did I get glutened or am I just moody?? :P

#6 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:32 AM

This is terrifying. How could you treat anyone like that? We've had pollen around us for millenia, too, but you don't see anyone disregarding allergies! What a jerk. I've been privileged to eat at really cool restaurants who enjoy taking care of me. I hope this guy stays in CO, and keeps doing posts like this so everyone around him knows exactly who he is. What a cretin.
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#7 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:06 AM

If he is still working as a chef he needs to be fired, immediately. And if he is a restaurant owner, he needs to be put out of business. That will get him where an ignorant person hurts.
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#8 idonteatwheat

idonteatwheat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:17 AM

I had to do a few things this morning but came back and did a bit more googling. He appears to work for a restaurant called Beau Jo's in Glenwood Springs Colorado. If you look he is mentioned on this page,
http://www.merchantc...934/review/list
http://www.beaujos.com/
They have a bunch of gluten-free items on their menu... Looks like a chain. I imagine they would love to know about this fabulous chef who is a part time doctor/psychiatrist since apparently he knows better than his customers if they do have in fact celiac disease. I wonder how many people have left there and been sick for days or had vacations ruined because of him.

Here is a quote from their site..."Our commitment to you, our customers, neighbors, friends and employees is that we will operate in a socially responsible manner. Creating the highest quality food along with healthy options and choices for those with dietary challenges."

I am just appalled, I've never eaten there, don't even know this guy other than the comment a friend made and it still has me incensed over it. I know only too well how it is to be glutened when eating out. It isn't a trivial thing in the least.

#9 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:28 AM

I had to do a few things this morning but came back and did a bit more googling. He appears to work for a restaurant called Beau Jo's in Glenwood Springs Colorado. If you look he is mentioned on this page,
http://www.merchantc...934/review/list
http://www.beaujos.com/
They have a bunch of gluten-free items on their menu... Looks like a chain. I imagine they would love to know about this fabulous chef who is a part time doctor/psychiatrist since apparently he knows better than his customers if they do have in fact celiac disease. I wonder how many people have left there and been sick for days or had vacations ruined because of him.

Here is a quote from their site..."Our commitment to you, our customers, neighbors, friends and employees is that we will operate in a socially responsible manner. Creating the highest quality food along with healthy options and choices for those with dietary challenges."

I am just appalled, I've never eaten there, don't even know this guy other than the comment a friend made and it still has me incensed over it. I know only too well how it is to be glutened when eating out. It isn't a trivial thing in the least.

That mention was from 2007. Probably doesn't work there anymore but it wouldn't hurt to shoot thier corporate office a copy of his post.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#10 idonteatwheat

idonteatwheat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:30 AM

That mention was from 2007. Probably doesn't work there anymore but it wouldn't hurt to shoot thier corporate office a copy of his post.

Opps your right, I missed that, but it probably would not hurt to let them know just so they can address it since who knows what sort of influence he had on what is done in that location now if he no longer works there.

I'm probably a tad bit oversensitive since I was glutened on Saturday and am still suffering from the effects of it.

#11 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

Opps your right, I missed that, but it probably would not hurt to let them know just so they can address it since who knows what sort of influence he had on what is done in that location now if he no longer works there.

I'm probably a tad bit oversensitive since I was glutened on Saturday and am still suffering from the effects of it.

Looking at the Pizza places website, doesn't look like they have a place in Glenwood Springs any longer or ever.

LTES

#12 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:52 AM

I wonder how many times this happens when you go to out to eat.

#13 idonteatwheat

idonteatwheat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

Looking at the Pizza places website, doesn't look like they have a place in Glenwood Springs any longer or ever.

From their website they make reference to the Glenwood Springs restaurant still being open in 2008. I only looked because I didn't want to implicate them if I was wrong. I'm just hoping if he is still working there that they will address it with him (I did contact them).

Honestly I just posted because I was appalled that what I had suspected for a bit actually is true for some chefs. If you all want me to edit out his name or delete posts just let me know. I've just had a hard road this past year with repeated glutening causing some horrible ataxia and me to be incapacitated for a bit.

#14 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

Currently resides in Glenwood Springs Colorado as a private chef for hire, and learning how to make tacos.

He appears to be unemployed...
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#15 judysj

judysj

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:39 AM

Well I did just make screen prints of that entire conversation, his home page info, and the main part of his main page (the top). Copied it onto a Word document.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: