This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Controversial Facebook Post By Chef

idonteatwheat

idonteatwheat Rookie

I always wondered how much some chef's cared about making something safe for a celiac. I was talking to a friend this morning and she mentioned a facebook post from someone she knew and how he would give people asking for gluten free food regular pasta. I'm not normally so quick to post this but if you look at where he has worked you can see he has has some serious training. Here's the link to his post:

Open Original Shared Link

and here is his post....

Damian Cardone

Gluten free is bullXXX!! Flour and bread have been a staple of life for thousands, THOUSANDS of years. People who claim to be gluten intolorent dont realize that its all in there disturbed liitle heads. People ask me for gluten free pasta in my restaurant all the time, I tell em sure, Then I serve serve em our pasta, Which I make from scratch with high gluten flour. And you know what? nothing, NOTHING! ever happens! People leave talking about how good they feel gluten free and guess what, They just had a full dose! Idiots!

Here's his info on his profile...

Damian J. Cardone has apprienticed under Swiss, Master Chef Kurt Wigger. Damian was the Executive Chef at the Sopris Chalet, Restaurant, Aspen, Co. Executive Banquet Chef at the Tavern on the Green N.Y.C.

After apprienticing under Master Chef Kurt Wigger, Switzerland. Whom, was the last person to study under Du Franze, who was the last person on earth to study under Georges Agustus Esscoffier.

Spending time between Aspen and NYC. In 05 and 06, Damian upheld the position as the wedding/banquet Chef at the Tavern on the Green. Has apeared on Regis and Kelli, Project Runway, numerous P.B.S. segments. Personally cooked for Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Tom Hanks, Segourney Weaver, and George Clooney. Currently resides in Glenwood Springs Colorado as a private chef for hire, and learning how to make tacos.

I am not a friend of his, it is all out there for the world to see, for now anyhow. I have to say I am amazed at the anger and the stupidity of his post. I would love to know where he is working right now and let them know about it. And we wonder why we react sometimes when we eat out....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
luvs2eat Collaborator

I sent him a nice message telling him I'd keep watching because a lawsuit will be coming if he's telling people he's serving them gluten free pasta and intentionally serving gluten-filled pasta! What a world class jerk.

IrishHeart Veteran

I am speechless...and if you have read any of my posts, you know that doesn't happen very often... :o :o :o:blink:

I am thinking of many things I would call him, but they would be edited for sure. :lol:

kareng Grand Master

I have something in mind to try to stop him. If we leave a bunch of messages, he will know he might be in trouble and delete the post. I need that post to stay on because it will be a big hassle to subpeona deleted posts from FB and it probably not go anywhere.

ndw3363 Contributor

That is unbelievable!! I'm to the point where I'm actually scared to mention to restaurants that I need to be gluten free. Some seem very good about it, but others are just completely uneducated. We don't go out to eat very often because it just isn't an enjoyable experience for me....even if I order off of a "gluten free menu", I'm still paranoid the next two days about every little "feeling" I have - was that a stomach bubble, am I getting a migraine, did I get glutened or am I just moody?? :P

ciavyn Contributor

This is terrifying. How could you treat anyone like that? We've had pollen around us for millenia, too, but you don't see anyone disregarding allergies! What a jerk. I've been privileged to eat at really cool restaurants who enjoy taking care of me. I hope this guy stays in CO, and keeps doing posts like this so everyone around him knows exactly who he is. What a cretin.

kwylee Apprentice

If he is still working as a chef he needs to be fired, immediately. And if he is a restaurant owner, he needs to be put out of business. That will get him where an ignorant person hurts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

idonteatwheat Rookie

I had to do a few things this morning but came back and did a bit more googling. He appears to work for a restaurant called Beau Jo's in Glenwood Springs Colorado. If you look he is mentioned on this page,

They have a bunch of gluten-free items on their menu... Looks like a chain. I imagine they would love to know about this fabulous chef who is a part time doctor/psychiatrist since apparently he knows better than his customers if they do have in fact celiac disease. I wonder how many people have left there and been sick for days or had vacations ruined because of him.

Here is a quote from their site..."Our commitment to you, our customers, neighbors, friends and employees is that we will operate in a socially responsible manner. Creating the highest quality food along with healthy options and choices for those with dietary challenges."

I am just appalled, I've never eaten there, don't even know this guy other than the comment a friend made and it still has me incensed over it. I know only too well how it is to be glutened when eating out. It isn't a trivial thing in the least.

kareng Grand Master

I had to do a few things this morning but came back and did a bit more googling. He appears to work for a restaurant called Beau Jo's in Glenwood Springs Colorado. If you look he is mentioned on this page,

They have a bunch of gluten-free items on their menu... Looks like a chain. I imagine they would love to know about this fabulous chef who is a part time doctor/psychiatrist since apparently he knows better than his customers if they do have in fact celiac disease. I wonder how many people have left there and been sick for days or had vacations ruined because of him.

Here is a quote from their site..."Our commitment to you, our customers, neighbors, friends and employees is that we will operate in a socially responsible manner. Creating the highest quality food along with healthy options and choices for those with dietary challenges."

I am just appalled, I've never eaten there, don't even know this guy other than the comment a friend made and it still has me incensed over it. I know only too well how it is to be glutened when eating out. It isn't a trivial thing in the least.

That mention was from 2007. Probably doesn't work there anymore but it wouldn't hurt to shoot thier corporate office a copy of his post.

idonteatwheat Rookie

That mention was from 2007. Probably doesn't work there anymore but it wouldn't hurt to shoot thier corporate office a copy of his post.

Opps your right, I missed that, but it probably would not hurt to let them know just so they can address it since who knows what sort of influence he had on what is done in that location now if he no longer works there.

I'm probably a tad bit oversensitive since I was glutened on Saturday and am still suffering from the effects of it.

kareng Grand Master

Opps your right, I missed that, but it probably would not hurt to let them know just so they can address it since who knows what sort of influence he had on what is done in that location now if he no longer works there.

I'm probably a tad bit oversensitive since I was glutened on Saturday and am still suffering from the effects of it.

Looking at the Pizza places website, doesn't look like they have a place in Glenwood Springs any longer or ever.

Darissa Contributor

I wonder how many times this happens when you go to out to eat.

idonteatwheat Rookie

Looking at the Pizza places website, doesn't look like they have a place in Glenwood Springs any longer or ever.

From their website they make reference to the Glenwood Springs restaurant still being open in 2008. I only looked because I didn't want to implicate them if I was wrong. I'm just hoping if he is still working there that they will address it with him (I did contact them).

Honestly I just posted because I was appalled that what I had suspected for a bit actually is true for some chefs. If you all want me to edit out his name or delete posts just let me know. I've just had a hard road this past year with repeated glutening causing some horrible ataxia and me to be incapacitated for a bit.

Jestgar Rising Star

Currently resides in Glenwood Springs Colorado as a private chef for hire, and learning how to make tacos.

He appears to be unemployed...

judysj Newbie

Well I did just make screen prints of that entire conversation, his home page info, and the main part of his main page (the top). Copied it onto a Word document.

judysj Newbie

He appears to be unemployed...

His FB page has a pic of him (January 21 I believe) in a chef's uniform in a kitchen...looks to stocked to be a home kitchen. ???

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

Perhaps if he is a disbeliever in the effects that gluten/wheat has on us Celiacs, then we can set up a test as HIS house. He can observe our behaviors first hand.

Oh and yes, dear chef, this IS a recipe for a lot of clean up that will prove our point.

Salax Contributor

I want to slap this guy. I know, I know. Bad, but I do. Seriously, lets give peanuts to someone with a peanut allergy, all in their head right? Peanuts have been around for thousands of years...Dude, that isn't a valid arguement. Cancer has been around for thousands of years, doesn't mean it's good for you. Wow, people like this guy make me afraid to eat out even more now. But I don't understand why he would do this, why would he care..it's not his decision on what his customers eat. Does he feed a vegan, meat or dairy? And why do it? Because you can? Grrr. :ph34r:

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I had to read this a couple of times because I couldn't believe someone could do this. I am absolutely disgusted. It's hard enough to eat out just worrying about CC. Now there's some jerk deliberately giving people gluten when they have requested something gluten free. I did google him, but not much info came up on him. I am still in disbelief and saddened that this guy deliberately lied to his customers and put their health at risk.

Darissa Contributor

I hope that he can soon realize the importance of why people maintain a gluten free diet and respond appropriately to their needs. He needs a lot of education regarding Celiac.

lynnelise Apprentice

I don't know who would want to eat anything this guy cooked anyhow! He sounds so bitter and unhappy. Are there any people dining at his restaurant that he doesn't think he is better than? Anyone he doesn't feel the need to make fun of? Dining out is expensive and for a lot of people it is a treat! They shouldn't feel like they have to buy new clothes or be embarrassed to order water instead of paying $10+ for a cocktail!!! Most of all they shouldn't have to worry about eating something that will damage their digestive tract and cause them a week or more of illness and discomfort! This disgusts me and makes me afraid to trust chefs!!!

This guy shouldn't even be allowed to work at a fast food restaurant!!!

Roda Rising Star

Well we all know what happened to the bakery guy in NC. So if he keeps it up he will seal his own fate too.

AmyNColorado Apprentice

Oh Man! Good to know, Beau Jo's Pizza is in Denver, Boulder and Idaho Springs (maybe you got these two confused). People keep telling me they now have gluten-free Pizza and thankfully I've not eaten there yet. I get a bit outta control with gluten-free pizza because I love it so much...I tend to eat the whole thing!! But thats besides the point. Thanks for the heads up.

IrishHeart Veteran

Well we all know what happened to the bakery guy in NC. So if he keeps it up he will seal his own fate too.

I don't :unsure: ...please, tell me! I'm curious.

And, as for this guy---he sounds like he has serious anger issues. Gee, angry outbursts are a sign of food intolerances....Maybe HE needs to be gluten free :blink::lol:

luvs2eat Collaborator

I don't :unsure: ...please, tell me! I'm curious.

And, as for this guy---he sounds like he has serious anger issues.ee, angry outbursts are a sign of food intolerances....Maybe HE needs to be gluten free :blink::lol:

That must have been the guy who was bagging up wheat bread in gluten free wrappers and selling it as gluten free bread... and when people turned up sick... they started investigating and found out what he was doing! I'd have loved to be face to face w/ that jerk.

All that said, I told my 3 gluten-free daughters about this guy and my oldest DD is sort of making it her mission to have the guy tarred and feathered! If people at his gluten-laden gluten-free pasta and got sick... I'd think they'd have a good case in court against the a$$hole.

Archived