This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Controversial Facebook Post By Chef

idonteatwheat

kareng Grand Master

Just checked his FB. He has tried to post a pic that shows he has private messages in the 100's.

Looks like he took the post off. That's probably it for criminal prosecution if the DA hasn't seen it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Just checked his FB. He has tried to post a pic that shows he has private messages in the 100's.

Looks like he took the post off. That's probably it for criminal prosecution if the DA hasn't seen it.

There are lots of screen shots of it though. Are screen shots not admissible in court? I wonder how long it will be before he locks down his FB or removes his account completely. A simple googling of his name leads here also so I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a user name soon and starts replying to this thread...

playin-d-fiddle Newbie

Wouldn't that be interesting....

kareng Grand Master

There are lots of screen shots of it though. Are screen shots not admissible in court? I wonder how long it will be before he locks down his FB or removes his account completely. A simple googling of his name leads here also so I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a user name soon and starts replying to this thread...

Not our screen shots. The DA could subpoena from FB but its a bit hard to prosecute. I think the local paper doing a story is good & he has been reported to the Chef organization.

This just posted on gluten-free girl FB:

I understand why people are upset. But please take a big breath and remain calm. The owner of Florinda's said that Damien Cardone has not worked there since March 15th. He does not work at Beau Jo's (it's closed). Tavern on the Green closed. Do... NOT write bad reviews on Yelp or anywhere else. This is really a story about food service in general. Danny and I both think he's done with any kind of food service now.

Darissa Contributor

His entire FB acct is gone now.

clara Newbie

It has been reported to our Denver Metro ABCnews affiliate, too, and it sounds like they're looking into it, too.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

His entire FB acct is gone now.

That didn't take long. I don't think it matters however. This story has just about gone viral.

Some blog posts I found with a quick search:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I find the whole subsequent series of events highly amusing. Hey, if social media can reshape countries it can surely take down one really bad chef.

RebeccaLynn Rookie

DOUUUUUCHEBAAAAAAG!!!!!

RebeccaLynn Rookie

Seriously can't believe this guy! He calls himself a "chef" but flaunts his idiocy when people trust him with their health. I went out to my first restaurant a few days ago since being diagnosed, and THANKFULLY had a good experience, though I am not sure I have ever been so anxious from a meal in my life. I was expecting agony that night & the next day. Happy that I had a responsible Chef at Mimi's Cafe!

Lisa Mentor

I find the whole subsequent series of events highly amusing. Hey, if social media can reshape countries it can surely take down one really bad chef.

:lol::lol::lol: ...me TOO!

Silly Man! What was he thinking????? :rolleyes:

idonteatwheat Rookie

Thank you all, as a group we all have the power to help change this sort of behavior. Yesterday when I posted I was so upset and angry and felt like there was so little I could do to stop this guy from hurting anyone else.

I haven't posted or blogged much in the last year, it has been a rough one for me. A string of gluten exposures triggered an awful bout of ataxia, thyroid issues and total lack of blood sugar control. It took months and countless tests to get me to a point where I was back to feeling somewhat normal. Then this past weekend I had a glutening and well you all can pretty much guess how I'm feeling. So hearing about this jerk from a friend just was the icing on the cake for me.

I think most people do not get it because typically we do not show outward signs immediately. That doesn't make it right and doesn't give anyone the power to damage our health. I cannot tell you the number of times I have put down my fork thinking OK what is it that is tying my stomach in knots, MSG or gluten and not eaten another bite.

I need to probably share this just to get it out there too, it was another chef with an attitude that I encountered not very long ago. We went to Carabba's (which is hit or miss it seems) and even after asking for my steak to be cooked in a pan or on foil they still grilled it. It came out and I was told oh it was a clean area of the grill (their grill baste contains gluten and how can you tell if it is on an item or the grill, uughh). I asked again for it to be made on foil or a pan and got back a dish with cold veggies and a steak in a pool of juices because it wasn't cooked but a few seconds. Everyone else was long done eating by this time too. The server apologized repeatedly and told me the chef was angry he had to remake it and that he didn't want to make it in a pan. I can't remember the exact words but it was basically how dare I tell him how to cook something and passing judgment that I had no idea what was the right way to cook it. I promptly tweeted and direct messaged corporate as they follow me on twitter (thank goodness for smartphones) thinking I would hear something and of course I didn't :-( I won't go back to this location anymore, honestly our Maggiano's has them beat hands down, the chef comes and speaks with you to make certain what you can eat so that is my go to for Italian here.

It is just so upsetting because I know there are chef's and restaurants that really do care that they give us safe food. It is just so hard to know for sure that you have found one.

etta694 Explorer

Take a peek!!! It isn't going to blow over if it's on the View

Lisa Mentor

Take a peek!!! It isn't going to blow over if it's on the View

WAY TO GO CHAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

luvs2eat Collaborator

AND... there's a link here to contact the DA's office or to lodge a complaint!

cassP Contributor

hey there- i thought i'd share the thread from last night about this very same post-

justanothertra Newbie

Bless you. What a great letter!

I really hope karma bites this guy in the rear. He definitely has alot of people talking about him...all negative however. Here was a post from a blog I found today.

Dear Damian,

I am a gluten-free potential restaurant patron and as such, would like to educate you a bit on your anti-"gluten-free" rants on facebook.

(For those not on Celiac.com, Karina's Kitchen blog, or any number of other high-profile gluten-free websites, here is a sample link to the online explosion discussing this "chef" and what he posted on his facebook wall for the entire world to see: Damian Cardone )

I am certain you know absolutely nothing about Celiac Disease, Gluten Intolerance, or various other reasons why one would find it necessary to maintain a strict gluten-free diet, but as you call yourself a "chef" and claim to have studied under an entire host of more famous, better educated chefs whom I am certain would be embarrassed to be lumped together with you right now (severely anger any large people group who sustains your livelihood and you stand alone), I decided I should personally educate you.

I should also mention that I have been one of those "liberal hippie idiot" diners (and anyone who knows me is spitting coffee at their computer screens right now) ordering the gluten-free meal. I have been gluten-free for five years now. I was gluten-free before gluten-free was cool.

You posted:

"May god help the Liberal hippie idiot whos going to ask for gluten free pasta this weekend."

and...

"Gluten free is bullXXX!! Flour and bread have been a staple of life for thousands, THOUSANDS of years. People who claim to be gluten intolorent dont realize that its all in there disturbed liitle heads. People ask me for gluten free pasta in my restaurant all the time, I tell em sure, Then I serve serve em our pasta, Which I make from scratch with high gluten flour. And you know what? nothing, NOTHING! ever happens! People leave talking about how good they feel gluten free and guess what, They just had a full dose! Idiots!"

(by the way... you misspelled "intolerant" ... just an ironic little heads up.)

If you would like to know why it is that your patrons leave and you never see any effects of their just being poisoned, it's because (and this is KEY for you to understand) this is not an "allergic reaction" type dietary restriction on the same level as a nut allergy which would cause anaphylaxis. Many of those who are gluten-free do have a secondary skin-inflammation that happens when they use lotions or creams with wheat protein, but that's not central to the actual dietary need to remain gluten-free. This is an "allergy" that happens in the INTESTINES. Now, I doubt you have the type of establishment in which diners hang out for hours on end after being poisoned, but if you did... I feel quite certain that you would be witness to some of the most atrocious "reactions" you have ever witnessed.

If you have ever had food poisoning, ever had the flu, ever laid on the floor of the bathroom with your cheek on the cold ceramic tile - shaking and shivering - you have a clue as to what happens when you poison your diners with "high-gluten flour" pasta. I can't even imagine anyone hiring or continuing to employ such a flagrant liability as you, but I can guarantee if I were to eat at your restaurant and become that sick, I would know without a doubt that I had eaten gluten and that you and your restaurant were the culprit. And I would show up at the restaurant the next day (or 48 hours since usually I can't leave the house for that long when I get poisoned) and discuss these ramifications in person.

Furthermore, the effects of such a poisoning can last many days. Those with full-blown Celiac Disease actually have intestinal damage which can be seen during a scoping procedure following even a slight gluten-ingestion (such as the gluten in a beef base containing Modified Food Starch coming from wheat or barley)... much less a full onslaught from being intentionally poisoned. I am sure that any unsuspecting diner would welcome you into the exam room while they have such a procedure preformed, and you can even have one as well for comparison purposes!

Lest you think I am being hard on you because I don't understand the stressful nature of your job, my husband is a chef. A really awesome one at that. He has won competitions all over the country and has ACF medals stashed in his glove compartment, cups in the garage, and various drawers all over the house. He teaches morons uninformed chefs like yourself. He judges competitions and tests chefs for their next certification level. What is your ACF certification level? I bet I know.

When we go out to eat, he helps me decipher menu items under the lens of his experience in kitchens for the past 20 years. He has multiple family members who are gluten-free and has many, many years of experience and I am sure he would gladly come to your restaurant and inform you personally of the culinary malpractice of which you are so boldly admitting.

Finally, Mr. Cardone, good luck finding employment. Last I checked, a quick "googling" of your name brought up blog posts like this one, articles quoting your facebook rants, and various websites mentioning your ineptness. Not ONE result was a good review, a competition you have won, or a newspaper article singing your praises.

I would recommend an apology, and that you take some continuing education classes on allergen awareness, celiac disease, cooking for those with intolerances, and perhaps good business practices in the electronic/social media age.

cap6 Enthusiast

OMG!!! This actually brought tears to my eyes at the absolute cruelty of someone. Yes, someone may well leave that establishment feeling fine but then end up being sick for weeks. I can't understand how anyone could do this to another human.

idonteatwheat Rookie

Well it looks like they got the message.

mushroom Proficient

Silly man!!??? That is a pretty mild expletive considering the circumstances. Firstly, he is evil; secondly, he is an imbecile for announcing it to the world on facebook. Note to Damian: Do not ruin your employer by announcing to the world that you are undermining his reputation :blink::ph34r: Baaad things happen to people who destroy hard-earned reputations. How many people will think twice, or thrice, before dining at Florindo's?

P.S. Reminds me of the stupidity of 4 guys I saw post-verdict in a case involving theft of aviation fuel from private planes. Their attitude?: "But is was soooo easy, man!! "(smirking) Oh yeah, so because it was easy that makes it just fine. It is sooo easy to gluten a gluten-free diner too :rolleyes:

And it is so easy to get someone hooked on drugs too. It is soo easy to torture a cat. It is sooo easy to do so many things that are illegal, immoral or criminal.

Lisa Mentor

Silly man!!???

Surely you picked up on my sarcasm? :)

hockeymomofceliacchild Rookie

I have something in mind to try to stop him. If we leave a bunch of messages, he will know he might be in trouble and delete the post. I need that post to stay on because it will be a big hassle to subpeona deleted posts from FB and it probably not go anywhere.

I just read this on my own facebook and was coming on this site to post. the article I read has mentioned it is deleted but I just posted the picture of his facebook comment on my own facebook page I was so furious!

jerseyangel Proficient

And it is so easy to get someone hooked on drugs too. It is soo easy to torture a cat. It is sooo easy to do so many things that are illegal, immoral or criminal.

Sadly that is so true Shroom. Not surprising that it was his arrogance and stupidity that got him caught.

Damn fool...

cassP Contributor

Well it looks like they got the message.

this is AWESOME! this community is strong! :)

etta694 Explorer

There is potential here for him to learn the most important lesson in the whole world... do unto others.... unfortunately people who NEED to learn are the most resistant. I'll bet he changes his name..

I hope THAT gets posted to Facebook :P

Archived