124 replies to this topic

#106 idonteatwheat

idonteatwheat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

In contrast you have Ming Tsai, a chef with a child with food allergies who is active with education for food service in this area. I wonder how he feels about this debacle. He should be encouraged to speak out for better training and education.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#107 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

...........As many of our gluten intolerant patrons know, we take extremely thorough and careful measures to insure the quality and edibility of our products to all of our customers............
....Our procedures for preparation are designed to prevent cross contamination, are strict and they are followed by our kitchen staff...........

This is good to know.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#108 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

Mr. Cardone is not employed at any Beau Jo's restaurant. Our Glenwood Springs restaurant, where Mr. Cardone was briefly employed in early 2008, has been closed for almost a year. During the short time that he was employed at the Glenwood Springs restaurant, we received no reports of gluten poisoning. As many of our gluten intolerant patrons know, we take extremely thorough and careful measures to insure the quality and edibility of our products to all of our customers. We are remarkably aware of the issues confronting those who are gluten intolerant due to lifelong friendships with several people who suffer this unfortunate affliction. We offer a limited number of gluten-free products that we are confident will not be harmful to our friends and other members of the public. The despicable comments made by Mr. Cardone were posted almost 3 years after he was terminated at our company. The statement he made clearly demonstrate that he never engaged in these activities while at Beau Jo's since we are unable and unwilling to offer a gluten free pasta due to the possibility of contamination with products that contain gluten. We currently have gluten free pizza and sandwiches. The sandwich bread and the pizza crust are made by "Deby's Gluten Free". Our procedures for preparation are designed to prevent cross contamination, are strict and they are followed by our kitchen staff.

Great! Thank you for taking these measures.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#109 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

Is anyone here mildly annoyed by the statements made by the journalist and physician focusing on the minor issues with only a passing reference to the "oh by the way..it can lead to cancer, etc" as a mere afterthought? It almost makes me cringe when the "experts" seem so much like the doctors I would have avoided after I knew better.

What else would you expect from people who have spent years telling their patients they suffer from Irritable Bull Sh*t???
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#110 lynnelise

lynnelise

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

Some of the comments on these articles are appalling! So many people seem to think this is just made up or an excuse to be picky or get better service. How crazy is that. First of all I LOVE to eat. One of my favorite parts of travel was to try different foods. Do these people think I like the idea that I will never have beignets in New Orleans again? Not to mention the other fabulous dishes that are started with a roux. No crabcakes in Baltimore. No cheesesteak in Philly? The list goes on and on! I also like the suggestion that we should just make our plain food at home and leave dining out to "normal" people. As if we don't deserve a meal out now and then? That's enough to raise a person's blood pressure!

#111 nutralady2001

nutralady2001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

on the news:

http://www.kjct8.com...743/detail.html

From the comments

"I happen to know the whereabouts of this Damian Cardone. He is living with his new fiance, in Sea Girt, NJ. I am friends with XXXX and I think the guy is a total jerk. The town of Sea Girt should be notified of this guy who is now probably looking for employment since his reloction to New Jersey."

I "X'd" out the fiance's name but it's in the comments if you go read them.
Diagnosed Eczema 1964 aged 16 but with what I know now from research am sure it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis
Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1969 at age 21 but had it from age of 12 many painful episodes over the years( was probably Coeliac all along)
Diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease/Hypothyroid November 1994
Low B12 November 2006
Low B12 (still!) July 2007 Docs are happy with results just above low end of normal..*sigh*....still need to resolve it
Gluten free since October 2006 after failing gluten challenge
Diagnosed Hiatus Hernia and Los Angeles Grade A reflux via endoscopy October 2007
Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease via same endoscopy / biopsy October 2007 (took them long enough!) despite being gluten-free damage still evident although had been taking iron tablets for iron deficiency without realizing they contained gluten. Subsequent blood tests show :Positive Anti-Gliadin IgA EIA antibodies, Positive Endomysial antibodies ,Positive tTG IgA antibodies of 300 ("normal" range 0-15)
Auto-immune disease goes back at least 5 generations in my family (and counting) Mainly Type 1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
Number 1 Son has Type 1 diabetes ..diagnosed March 2007 at age 31, number 2 son aged 24 is A/I disease free so far ,daughter has lichen planus ( similar to psoriasis) diagnosed 2003 at age 17 am now wondering if it is DH but with flippancy of the young she won't get any testing done

#112 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

The article jerseyangel just posted has this final quote...

Celebrity chef David Chang says he thinks "The special requests are ridiculous. My personal opinion is that a lot of people say they have a special allergy or they dont like something so they can get better service." [Via Zagat Buzz]

I think "Celebrity chef David Chang" should be careful not to be associated with Damian Cardone. Being quoted in the same article could be fatal to a career.
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#113 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:40 PM

I think celebrity chef David Chang should stick to cooking for celebrities, so many of whom are giving gluten free a bad name. They probably won't notice if they are glutened!!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#114 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

Mr. Cardone is not employed at any Beau Jo's restaurant. Our Glenwood Springs restaurant, where Mr. Cardone was briefly employed in early 2008, has been closed for almost a year. During the short time that he was employed at the Glenwood Springs restaurant, we received no reports of gluten poisoning. As many of our gluten intolerant patrons know, we take extremely thorough and careful measures to insure the quality and edibility of our products to all of our customers.
Our procedures for preparation are designed to prevent cross contamination, are strict and they are followed by our kitchen staff.

Thanks for joining up and letting us know the real story Beau Jo's. It is great to hear that restaraunts like yours are making a real effort to serve gluten-free people safely. If I lived in CO. I would be sure to stop in and eat there, if it was still open that is. Seems to me your establishment got a raw deal from this incident and it was nothing to do with your operation. More likely a disgruntled ex-employee is the cause.

I hope things work out well for your restaraunt business, in spite of the negative publicity generated by Mr. Cardone's FB posts.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#115 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

I have to add.....my best friend is a chef and she has always happily prepared the food as the customer requests. That is her JOY! To make the people happy and enjoy the dining experience.

For these "celebrity chefs" to whine about catering to "picky eaters" --a group I guess we fall into :o ??--I say maybe it's time to do something else!

As the number of people who have food allergies grows, (and more people are properly diagnosed with gluten intolerance/celiac) the restaurants will have to make adjustments accordingly---or go out of business!

As for Chef Chang....his comment is as equally absurd as Mr. Cardone's. Boo on you, mister!

I would say this guy has created quite a stir with his angry rants and maybe it will benefit us in the long run!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#116 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for joining up and letting us know the real story Beau Jo's. It is great to hear that restaraunts like yours are making a real effort to serve gluten-free people safely. If I lived in CO. I would be sure to stop in and eat there, if it was still open that is. Seems to me your establishment got a raw deal from this incident and it was nothing to do with your operation. More likely a disgruntled ex-employee is the cause.

I hope things work out well for your restaraunt business, in spite of the negative publicity generated by Mr. Cardone's FB posts.

Me too! If we can be of assistance....just ask.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#117 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

Apparently, the celiac/gluten intolerant population has power!

The following was copied from that so-called chef's facebook page:

Former Glenwood chef's Facebook comments anger celiac sufferers
By Heather McGregor
Post Independent Editor
POSTED: 03/31/2011 12:35:25 PM MDT
UPDATED: 03/31/2011 12:39:15 PM MDT

A former Glenwood Springs waiter and chef has caused an online uproar among the celiac disease community for his Facebook page posting about disregarding requests for gluten-free meals.

Damian Cardone, who worked as a chef at the Sopris Restaurant and Buffalo Valley, and more recently worked as a waiter at Florindo's, posted the message on his Facebook page March 10.

The message was discovered this week by celiac disease online advocate Shauna Ahern and posted to her Facebook page, "Gluten-Free Girl." It was picked up by other activist blogs and resulted in hundreds of phone calls to Florindo's from outraged people across the country.

Cardone left his position at the restaurant March 15, according to Florindo's owner Florent Gallicchio, and has moved back to the East Coast, according to his former boss Kurt Wigger, who owned the Sopris and Buffalo Valley.

In the March 10 post on Facebook, Cardone wrote, "People who claim to be gluten intolorent dont realize that its all in there disturbed liitle heads. People ask me for gluten free pasta in my restaurant all the time, I tell em sure, Then I serve em our pasta, Which I make from scratch with high gluten flour." (sic)

Read the rest of this report at PostIndependent.com.
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#118 idonteatwheat

idonteatwheat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

http://www.postindep...entProfile=1074

There was an article in the Colorado paper painting the restaurant as a victim in all of this, and perhaps to some extent they are, but on a blog someone mentioned two photos on the chef's FB page that showed a kitchen with a group of people and I believe one of the captions mentioned the restaurant or a timeline that led to that and the other one is all over the news showing him in a Chef's coat. It would be nice to clear that up and know which kitchen that photo was taken in as I would find it hard to imagine a chef with such training who was only waiting tables happily posing as a chef. I guess I am just saying it would be easy to say he was a waiter after the fact to limit liability and negative press so seeing the kitchen in the restaurant would help clear that up.

I would hate for this to be twisted into something that puts us all in a negative light since the chef already had that vehement opinion. This really becomes an ethical dilemma, as a person with food issues I want to avoid anyone else becoming ill at a restaurant but where is the line where you stop with negative reviews to travel/restaurant sites (yelp, urban spoon, etc)? It is a different situation from a health inspector finding obvious problems. It is a hard call, what do you all think?

#119 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

http://www.postindependent.com/article/20110406/VALLEYNEWS/110409941/1083&ParentProfile=1074

There was an article in the Colorado paper painting the restaurant as a victim in all of this, and perhaps to some extent they are, but on a blog someone mentioned two photos on the chef's FB page that showed a kitchen with a group of people and I believe one of the captions mentioned the restaurant or a timeline that led to that and the other one is all over the news showing him in a Chef's coat. It would be nice to clear that up and know which kitchen that photo was taken in as I would find it hard to imagine a chef with such training who was only waiting tables happily posing as a chef. I guess I am just saying it would be easy to say he was a waiter after the fact to limit liability and negative press so seeing the kitchen in the restaurant would help clear that up.

I would hate for this to be twisted into something that puts us all in a negative light since the chef already had that vehement opinion. This really becomes an ethical dilemma, as a person with food issues I want to avoid anyone else becoming ill at a restaurant but where is the line where you stop with negative reviews to travel/restaurant sites (yelp, urban spoon, etc)? It is a different situation from a health inspector finding obvious problems. It is a hard call, what do you all think?

I thought that the "PT waiter" could be a CYA statment. But, according to his FB, he was trying to establish himself as a private chef. He may have taken a part time job to make ends meet. His comments about Valentines Day could be as a waiter or cook. The pics of him in the commercial kitchen could be older, from another place.

I don't think we should post bad reviews unless we have been to the restuarant & had a bad experience. There are legal issues with a review that isn't true.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#120 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

I think the responsibility still clearly lies with the restaurant and their employee.

If the restaurant owner is dedicated on a go forward to providing gluten free menu items, and performing the same due diligence as would any other restaurant with good intentions in this regard, then good word will get around in the same way the bad word made its way across lines of communication.

I might agree that it seems unfair that the restaurant is made a public example if they were indeed performing this due diligence. But were this my restaurant, and I yearned to let people know how much I truly cared about my gluten intolerant patrons, I would have made sure that MOST of the article covered the lengths to which I go to perform that due diligence, not make it a "oh, poor restaurant who is getting the short end of the stick". It sounded more like a puff piece to me. That business owner is not going to win gluten intolerant patrons that way. I have a feeling though, with the still small numbers of people eating gluten free, & the old adage of NO SUCH THING AS BAD PUBLICITY, they're not exactly hurting.
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: