9 replies to this topic

#1 ll79

ll79

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:28 AM

Hello everyone! I have a very odd question. I have been diagnosed with Celiacs for three years now and have discovered in that time that I am extremely intolerant to anything gluten. My fiance just brought up a really good question last night and I thought I would pose it to you guys. We are always really good with waiting a half hour after he eats gluten before we kiss. However, he asked if he should wash his face after eating gluten too before we kiss or not. What is the standard rule because he really doesn't want to make me sick from kissing me! Please advice :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ciavyn

ciavyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

Yep. If you are super sensitive, he should clean his face and brush before kissing you. Or eat the same foods. ;) I go through the same thing.
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#3 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

Yes, wash face and brush teeth...yes, every time.

I found out the hard way.

I call it the kiss of death.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:14 AM

I have been glutened by kissing. Here is blog by an allergic individual http://allergicgirl....-allergies.html

She quotes a study which says "waiting several hours after ingestion of peanut butter and eating a peanut-free meal before engaging in kissing or other kinds of saliva exchange was determined to be the most effective method of reducing peanut allergen in saliva to undetectable levels."

When we started following that advice, it worked.

#5 Brigit

Brigit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:39 AM

I never thought about it, till yesterday, when my husband was eating pasta and I reached in for kiss, and he said, no wait, till I've wiped my lips clear. He has thankfully this morning, when I was in huge tears about all this, declared that we need to chuck away everything in the house that contains gluten. :) I love the man!!
And I've found a health shop that only stocks gluten free food (the woman who owns it is Celiac), so we are slowly going to restock our pantries, and then won't need to be careful when or how we kiss, as my husband won't often be getting gluten in!

#6 ll79

ll79

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:10 PM

Thanks so much for the responses. I am having him brush his teeth now after we go out to dinner. When I cook it is always all gluten free, but when we go out he likes to splurge on his gluten food :) Its good to set up a routine for that.

#7 naiiad

naiiad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

My boyfriend washes his hands and face and brushes his teeth before meeting up with me and after eating. If you are very sensitive this is a necessary precaution.

#8 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:32 PM

My husband always brushes his teeth. He even brings a travel toothbrush with to weddings and new year's parties so he can kiss me after he's eaten his gluten. So sweet!

#9 Ennui

Ennui

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

My husband loves to do the same thing. I cook all gluten free things here in the house, but when we go out the gluten is on!! He has caused me to have a reaction more than once, but him brushing his teeth and washing his mouth really seems to help. Just be cautious because they will try to kiss you without thinking. :blink:

#10 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:55 AM

I've had problems with this also! He is really great about brushing his teeth etc. I did have a reaction one time to make me realize and question his facial hair.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: