9 replies to this topic

#1 sbloom

sbloom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

I am curious to if a lot of you lost a lot of weight when you went gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 keithceliac2010

keithceliac2010

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:48 AM

I have been gluten-free for about 5 weeks. I have lost 20-25 lbs so far. But most importantly, my stomach bloating has subsided. My pants are falling down!!!! lol. Still wearing my 46 waist pants, only because I have not been shopping yet. Gonna wait and see how much I lose before I buy new clothes. If I went shopping today looks like I would fit in a 42 waist.

#3 Simona19

Simona19

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

I am curious to if a lot of you lost a lot of weight when you went gluten-free?

I'm 10 months gluten and casein free. I lost 46 pounds in the first 6 months. I'm trying to loose some more, but I can't.
I would like to loose 20- 30 more. My weight for the past 4 months is same. I don't like it, but I'm very happy that I didn't gain weight back yet. I hope that it will never happen.
The advices(stick with the whole food) that people gave me in this forum were right.

#4 adab8ca

adab8ca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

i lost about 30 pounds last summer before I was diagnosed, all in about 5 months.
I have since put at least 20 back on since last September...which I guess means that I am absorbing calories again, so am trying to not stress about it!
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#5 julandjo

julandjo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

I struggled to lose weight for 10 years with no success. I went gluten free 13 months ago and have lost 42 pounds, putting me at my goal weight.
Dx'd with Celiac June 2010 via positive biopsy. I got tested because both of my kids (3 and 5 years old) have multiple food intolerances, with gluten being the worst offender.

Free of: grains, dairy, soy, legumes, nightshades, nuts, fish, eggs, pork, citrus and tropical fruits (latex allergy), stone fruits, melons, squash, strawberries, flax, cruciferous veggies and celery.

Yes, I'm HUNGRY.

#6 RachelisFacebook

RachelisFacebook

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

I've lost 30 pounds since going Gluten-free. However, I'm trying. Also, my blood pressure has gone down (it wasn't high, but it was just on the brink of above normal).
"Always do what you are afraid to do."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Official Diagnosis: Apr 3, 2010
Officially went off gluten: Aug 2010
Possible corn intolerance discovered Dec 2010

#7 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

I was always around 120 but there were episodes in my life where I ballooned up to 180 lbs and always with severe depression, anxiety, headaches and it would last for a year or two. This has happened 4 times in my life and now I know it was related to gluten.

6 months ago I went gluten free. I started dropping weight right away and have continued to lose until now I am 110 which I am thrilled about because at 5 feet tall, I look chubby at 120. I never thought I would be 110.

AND I eat more now than I ever have in my life...I never tried to lose a pound of this.

I just went gluten free and my body has responded beautifully.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#8 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:32 AM

yep. always a good 20-30lbs lighter when gluten free
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#9 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:39 AM

Well, I hate to burst any bubbles here, but dang, I gained weight! But then, at the time, I played with a LOT of prepackaged foods. Since I've gone down to mostly whole foods and limited complex carbs, I've lost 25 pounds. :) I'm jealous of y'all that have lost weight by just going off gluten. My gut apparently likes the gluten free stuff a little too much. :) But it's getting much, much better....
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#10 celiackitcat

celiackitcat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

I'm on the weight gain side to which was great for me because prior to my diagnosis I had lost an extreme amount of weight in a very short period of time. I needed to gain some of it back because I was verging on skeletal and it was not healthy looking. I had started to even out until recently when I started to lose weight rapidly again. Who knows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: