Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Associated Is Hasimoto's Thyroid And Auto Immune Anemia To Celiacs?

• Please log in to reply

33 replies to this topic

#1 Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

My sil was diagnosed hasimoto's thyroid after she had her first son 8 yrs ago and has been having trouble with it ever since.Soon after the birth of her second son she developed AIHA which is a type of autoimmune idopathic anemia.After a bout in the hospital her anemia is soo low she will need a tranfusion if it gets any lower and she developed a goiter from the hasi's.The doctor now has mentioned that she should be tested for celiac disease.
My question is are these diseases associated with celiacs??What are the chances she is celiac?I know you obvously are not doctors and can only give your opnions but you opnions do mean alot:)Thank you ~Melissa~
Melissa
9/10 Diagnosed celiac via bloodwork/endo
9/10 Gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

My sil was diagnosed hasimoto's thyroid after she had her first son 8 yrs ago and has been having trouble with it ever since.Soon after the birth of her second son she developed AIHA which is a type of autoimmune idopathic anemia.After a bout in the hospital her anemia is soo low she will need a tranfusion if it gets any lower and she developed a goiter from the hasi's.The doctor now has mentioned that she should be tested for celiac disease.
My question is are these diseases associated with celiacs??What are the chances she is celiac?I know you obvously are not doctors and can only give your opnions but you opnions do mean alot:)Thank you ~Melissa~

of course they dont always have to be linked- but it is SO so so common for one to have both celiac and Hashimoto's- really really common... and it sounds like your sil finally has a good doctor- to connect the dots and want to test for celiac. she absolutely should- the doc could be wrong OR he could be right, and then maybe your sil can get better instead of continuing to suffer or find new autoimmune diseases.
the reason why they're often linked is because Gluten can trigger and most definitely aggravate both diseases.

im not familiar with the initials to the autoimmune anemia you typed. i only know of Pernicious Anemia- where the B12 is severely deficient- Celiac can ALSO cause vitamin deficiencies.

i hope she gets tested and gets accurate answers. whether she has celiac or not-> continuing to eat gluten can inflame her thyroid.

good luck to her!
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#3 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

I agree with CassP, it is very very common for Celiacs to have Hashimoto's and anemia.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#4 Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:48 AM

yes she dosent seem to have alot of auto immune in her family just high blood pressure and i think the grandmother had diabetes...But i hope she gets her answers as well she def loves her gluten so we will see what happens:)
Melissa
9/10 Diagnosed celiac via bloodwork/endo
9/10 Gluten free

#5 Eilidh

Eilidh

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

Hi, I am 18 and was diagnosed with the beginning stages of Hashimoto's disease 4 months ago. When I found out, I did a bunch of research to find out how to treat it. In the process I found out that Hashimotos disease is often linked to celiac disease and is probably hereditary. This makes sense because my grandmother, the one I inherited celiac disease from, has it and so does my mom. The three of us are all celiac as well.

Here is a site with a bunch of information: http://www.medicinen...tis/article.htm

Anemia is a symptom of celiac disease and is actually one of the most common signs of gluten intolerance. Here is a site on that: http://www.csaceliac...ac_symptoms.php
Hope this helps!

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

I would add to these replies that anemia is also common with Hashi's. Thyroid hormone plays a role in the formation of red blood cells so if your thyroid gets too low, you can pop anemic. Happened to me a few times so I have to monitor my thyroid closely.

#7 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

I would add to these replies that anemia is also common with Hashi's. Thyroid hormone plays a role in the formation of red blood cells so if your thyroid gets too low, you can pop anemic. Happened to me a few times so I have to monitor my thyroid closely.

very interesting. i was concerned about this- but getting so many tests. my endo just ran a CBC and everything looked fine- she said that the CBC would be a little off if i was anemic.. is that true? im assuming i should still get my Iron tested just in case?
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH

#8 nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

Cass - Ask for a FERRATIN test...not even really iron levels (although hey, why not check those too?) but i but i believe it is a better indicator (according to my doc)....vit D is also really important to have at a good level and should be included in that test as well. Basically/iron levels can prevent your thyroid from working effectively.

I was borderline anemic and so am now popping iron and vit d (was super low there too) supplements to help support everything

for good measure i am also taking an antioxidant supplement with selenium and taking vitamin C and B vitamins (some of these are combo pills so they aren't all seperate)

#9 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

Cass - Ask for a FERRATIN test...not even really iron levels (although hey, why not check those too?) but i but i believe it is a better indicator (according to my doc)....vit D is also really important to have at a good level and should be included in that test as well. Basically/iron levels can prevent your thyroid from working effectively.

I was borderline anemic and so am now popping iron and vit d (was super low there too) supplements to help support everything

for good measure i am also taking an antioxidant supplement with selenium and taking vitamin C and B vitamins (some of these are combo pills so they aren't all seperate)

thanku Nutmeg! i will ask for that one. :)

i got my D tested 2 thyroid panels ago. THANK GOD i always have them mail me copies- because i guess my endo & nurse didnt think it was a big deal to tell me that i only had a "26" on the D. <_< ive been taking 6,000 iu of D3 a day for the last 5 weeks? i have no idea what im supposed to be taking- but i AM having less pain, and havent had a muscle relaxer in a month :D

i really hope im NOT anemic or even close-> i do NOT want to get Constipated from the Iron pills... already have enuff obstacles.
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH

#10 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:27 AM

i got my D tested 2 thyroid panels ago. THANK GOD i always have them mail me copies- because i guess my endo & nurse didnt think it was a big deal to tell me that i only had a "26" on the D. <_< ive been taking 6,000 iu of D3 a day for the last 5 weeks? i have no idea what im supposed to be taking- but i AM having less pain, and havent had a muscle relaxer in a month :D

i really hope im NOT anemic or even close-> i do NOT want to get Constipated from the Iron pills... already have enuff obstacles.

If you worry about constipation, decrease your vitamin D to 5,000UIU daily and have that checked again after 1-2 months. After 2 months on 6000 IU daily D3, my blood levels of vitamin D were waaaay above the normal range and I deveoped severe constipation. Extra vitamin D is stored in your muscles. So it takes awhile to get that back to normal levels (and resolve constipation). After 3+ months abstinence from vitamin D, I finally got my D3 levels back within the normal range and resolved my constipation. Now I'll take 1000IU daily and no more. During the time I had excess vitamin D, I learned how many foods, which I regularly eat, have high amounts of vitamin D. So I'll never take more than 1000IU daily again.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#11 maile

maile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:36 PM

Actually get the ferratin AND the iron panel because ferratin can be falsely raised due to inflammation from celiac...want to really confuse a doctor? get gluten contaminated and the next day go get a ferratin test, this happened to me and while my serum iron level was 3 points below the bottom of the range my ferratin was 100 points over the top!

eta: definitely true about the thryoid, you need iron to be able to convert T4 (inactive thyroid) to T3 (active thyroid)
Enterolab:
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 11 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal Anti-casein (cows milk) IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)
(this makes sense, my mother had MS)

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hate to but in here :lol: BUT...

There are several kinds of anemia. Iron deficiency is one, B-12 is another and Folate (B9) is another. The most common forms in celiac are B-12 and Folate. Just supplementing with iron (which will definitely cause you painful constipation!) will NOT address these deficiencies.

I found out the hard way. I posted this not too long ago, so I won't bore you with it :) ...but my ongoing fatigue, etc. despite normal RBC, ferritin storage levels and high B-12 levels was because of LOW FOLATE. Doc has me supplementing with Prescription strength folic acid to bump it up.

Just a thought!!

Please have these levels (B-12, Folate)tested.

here is an article about anemia and celiac:

http://www.gluten.ne... and Anemia.pdf

and a more thorough explanation and the SYMPTOMS of these forms of anemia;

http://revivelifelab...cid-deficiency/

Hope this helps!!! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#13 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:10 PM

Sue- oh God know- please dont bring the constipation back :( my hemms have had enough. but thanku for the advice- i will ask my endo for another test in the near future. and i WAS already eating PLENTY of foods with D.. MAYBE i REALLY WASNT getting enough sunlight?? or maybe my thyroid issues screwed it up?? but thanks i will ask

and Irish Heart: i had my B12 tested last year- it was at 640. and i THINK i was still eating gluten at the time, very little but still. so, that's why i was inquiring about the regular iron deficient anemia. BUT i did not know about the folate. will ask the doc about that. thanku
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH

#14 Debbie B in MD

Debbie B in MD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:58 AM

What a great, informative thread. I have been taking notes. I really don't have anything to add, but Mama Melissa, your sil is lucky to have such a caring, concerned sil. It will definitely help her greatly having your support.

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:30 AM

very interesting. i was concerned about this- but getting so many tests. my endo just ran a CBC and everything looked fine- she said that the CBC would be a little off if i was anemic.. is that true? im assuming i should still get my Iron tested just in case?

Cass, one more thing....you may already know all this, so forgive me if this is "old news" :lol:
The CBC checks your red and white blood cell counts, among other things like calcium, magnesium levels, etc. Not enough to see what's going on with major vitamin deficiencies. My CBC is always "normal"...I look so good "on paper", :blink: yet I continued to feel so lousy....because the Folate level was really low....! If they don't look for it, we will never know. That's why it is up to us to go in and demand these tests. Sad, but true.

The tests all celiacs should have run after diagnosis are CBC, ANA (for autoimmune disease), TSH, Thyroid antibodies test, Vit. D-3, B-12, Folate and if possible, ferritin storage levels. And a bone density scan is a must--as osteoporosis is a real concern with celiac. There may be more, I am not a doctor :lol: but those vitamins/body systems are the ones most affected by malabsorption in the gut. B-12 folate, seratonin--all produced in the gut.

At least, that is what my 3 years of research has uncovered! I am still reading to make sure I have all of it in check. My doctor follows my cues :blink:

Good luck,hon!!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: