This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Associated Is Hasimoto's Thyroid And Auto Immune Anemia To Celiacs?

Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

My sil was diagnosed hasimoto's thyroid after she had her first son 8 yrs ago and has been having trouble with it ever since.Soon after the birth of her second son she developed AIHA which is a type of autoimmune idopathic anemia.After a bout in the hospital her anemia is soo low she will need a tranfusion if it gets any lower and she developed a goiter from the hasi's.The doctor now has mentioned that she should be tested for celiac disease.

My question is are these diseases associated with celiacs??What are the chances she is celiac?I know you obvously are not doctors and can only give your opnions but you opnions do mean alot:)Thank you ~Melissa~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

My sil was diagnosed hasimoto's thyroid after she had her first son 8 yrs ago and has been having trouble with it ever since.Soon after the birth of her second son she developed AIHA which is a type of autoimmune idopathic anemia.After a bout in the hospital her anemia is soo low she will need a tranfusion if it gets any lower and she developed a goiter from the hasi's.The doctor now has mentioned that she should be tested for celiac disease.

My question is are these diseases associated with celiacs??What are the chances she is celiac?I know you obvously are not doctors and can only give your opnions but you opnions do mean alot:)Thank you ~Melissa~

of course they dont always have to be linked- but it is SO so so common for one to have both celiac and Hashimoto's- really really common... and it sounds like your sil finally has a good doctor- to connect the dots and want to test for celiac. she absolutely should- the doc could be wrong OR he could be right, and then maybe your sil can get better instead of continuing to suffer or find new autoimmune diseases.

the reason why they're often linked is because Gluten can trigger and most definitely aggravate both diseases.

im not familiar with the initials to the autoimmune anemia you typed. i only know of Pernicious Anemia- where the B12 is severely deficient- Celiac can ALSO cause vitamin deficiencies.

i hope she gets tested and gets accurate answers. whether she has celiac or not-> continuing to eat gluten can inflame her thyroid.

good luck to her!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I agree with CassP, it is very very common for Celiacs to have Hashimoto's and anemia.

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

yes she dosent seem to have alot of auto immune in her family just high blood pressure and i think the grandmother had diabetes...But i hope she gets her answers as well she def loves her gluten so we will see what happens:)

• 2 weeks later...
Eilidh Newbie

Hi, I am 18 and was diagnosed with the beginning stages of Hashimoto's disease 4 months ago. When I found out, I did a bunch of research to find out how to treat it. In the process I found out that Hashimoto

Gemini Experienced

I would add to these replies that anemia is also common with Hashi's. Thyroid hormone plays a role in the formation of red blood cells so if your thyroid gets too low, you can pop anemic. Happened to me a few times so I have to monitor my thyroid closely.

cassP Contributor

I would add to these replies that anemia is also common with Hashi's. Thyroid hormone plays a role in the formation of red blood cells so if your thyroid gets too low, you can pop anemic. Happened to me a few times so I have to monitor my thyroid closely.

very interesting. i was concerned about this- but getting so many tests. my endo just ran a CBC and everything looked fine- she said that the CBC would be a little off if i was anemic.. is that true? im assuming i should still get my Iron tested just in case?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nuttmegs17 Apprentice

Cass - Ask for a FERRATIN test...not even really iron levels (although hey, why not check those too?) but i but i believe it is a better indicator (according to my doc)....vit D is also really important to have at a good level and should be included in that test as well. Basically/iron levels can prevent your thyroid from working effectively.

I was borderline anemic and so am now popping iron and vit d (was super low there too) supplements to help support everything

for good measure i am also taking an antioxidant supplement with selenium and taking vitamin C and B vitamins (some of these are combo pills so they aren't all seperate)

cassP Contributor

Cass - Ask for a FERRATIN test...not even really iron levels (although hey, why not check those too?) but i but i believe it is a better indicator (according to my doc)....vit D is also really important to have at a good level and should be included in that test as well. Basically/iron levels can prevent your thyroid from working effectively.

I was borderline anemic and so am now popping iron and vit d (was super low there too) supplements to help support everything

for good measure i am also taking an antioxidant supplement with selenium and taking vitamin C and B vitamins (some of these are combo pills so they aren't all seperate)

thanku Nutmeg! i will ask for that one. :)

i got my D tested 2 thyroid panels ago. THANK GOD i always have them mail me copies- because i guess my endo & nurse didnt think it was a big deal to tell me that i only had a "26" on the D. <_< ive been taking 6,000 iu of D3 a day for the last 5 weeks? i have no idea what im supposed to be taking- but i AM having less pain, and havent had a muscle relaxer in a month :D

i really hope im NOT anemic or even close-> i do NOT want to get Constipated from the Iron pills... already have enuff obstacles.

burdee Enthusiast

i got my D tested 2 thyroid panels ago. THANK GOD i always have them mail me copies- because i guess my endo & nurse didnt think it was a big deal to tell me that i only had a "26" on the D. <_< ive been taking 6,000 iu of D3 a day for the last 5 weeks? i have no idea what im supposed to be taking- but i AM having less pain, and havent had a muscle relaxer in a month :D

i really hope im NOT anemic or even close-> i do NOT want to get Constipated from the Iron pills... already have enuff obstacles.

If you worry about constipation, decrease your vitamin D to 5,000UIU daily and have that checked again after 1-2 months. After 2 months on 6000 IU daily D3, my blood levels of vitamin D were waaaay above the normal range and I deveoped severe constipation. Extra vitamin D is stored in your muscles. So it takes awhile to get that back to normal levels (and resolve constipation). After 3+ months abstinence from vitamin D, I finally got my D3 levels back within the normal range and resolved my constipation. Now I'll take 1000IU daily and no more. During the time I had excess vitamin D, I learned how many foods, which I regularly eat, have high amounts of vitamin D. So I'll never take more than 1000IU daily again.

maile Newbie

Actually get the ferratin AND the iron panel because ferratin can be falsely raised due to inflammation from celiac...want to really confuse a doctor? get gluten contaminated and the next day go get a ferratin test, this happened to me and while my serum iron level was 3 points below the bottom of the range my ferratin was 100 points over the top!

eta: definitely true about the thryoid, you need iron to be able to convert T4 (inactive thyroid) to T3 (active thyroid)

IrishHeart Veteran

Hate to but in here :lol: BUT...

There are several kinds of anemia. Iron deficiency is one, B-12 is another and Folate (B9) is another. The most common forms in celiac are B-12 and Folate. Just supplementing with iron (which will definitely cause you painful constipation!) will NOT address these deficiencies.

I found out the hard way. I posted this not too long ago, so I won't bore you with it :) ...but my ongoing fatigue, etc. despite normal RBC, ferritin storage levels and high B-12 levels was because of LOW FOLATE. Doc has me supplementing with Prescription strength folic acid to bump it up.

Just a thought!!

Please have these levels (B-12, Folate)tested.

here is an article about anemia and celiac:

Open Original Shared Link

and a more thorough explanation and the SYMPTOMS of these forms of anemia;

Hope this helps!!! :)

cassP Contributor

Sue- oh God know- please dont bring the constipation back :( my hemms have had enough. but thanku for the advice- i will ask my endo for another test in the near future. and i WAS already eating PLENTY of foods with D.. MAYBE i REALLY WASNT getting enough sunlight?? or maybe my thyroid issues screwed it up?? but thanks i will ask

and Irish Heart: i had my B12 tested last year- it was at 640. and i THINK i was still eating gluten at the time, very little but still. so, that's why i was inquiring about the regular iron deficient anemia. BUT i did not know about the folate. will ask the doc about that. thanku

Debbie B in MD Explorer

What a great, informative thread. I have been taking notes. I really don't have anything to add, but Mama Melissa, your sil is lucky to have such a caring, concerned sil. It will definitely help her greatly having your support.

IrishHeart Veteran

very interesting. i was concerned about this- but getting so many tests. my endo just ran a CBC and everything looked fine- she said that the CBC would be a little off if i was anemic.. is that true? im assuming i should still get my Iron tested just in case?

Cass, one more thing....you may already know all this, so forgive me if this is "old news" :lol:

The CBC checks your red and white blood cell counts, among other things like calcium, magnesium levels, etc. Not enough to see what's going on with major vitamin deficiencies. My CBC is always "normal"...I look so good "on paper", :blink: yet I continued to feel so lousy....because the Folate level was really low....! If they don't look for it, we will never know. That's why it is up to us to go in and demand these tests. Sad, but true.

The tests all celiacs should have run after diagnosis are CBC, ANA (for autoimmune disease), TSH, Thyroid antibodies test, Vit. D-3, B-12, Folate and if possible, ferritin storage levels. And a bone density scan is a must--as osteoporosis is a real concern with celiac. There may be more, I am not a doctor :lol: but those vitamins/body systems are the ones most affected by malabsorption in the gut. B-12 folate, seratonin--all produced in the gut.

At least, that is what my 3 years of research has uncovered! I am still reading to make sure I have all of it in check. My doctor follows my cues :blink:

Good luck,hon!!!

cassP Contributor

Cass, one more thing....you may already know all this, so forgive me if this is "old news" :lol:

The CBC checks your red and white blood cell counts, among other things like calcium, magnesium levels, etc. Not enough to see what's going on with major vitamin deficiencies. My CBC is always "normal"...I look so good "on paper", :blink: yet I continued to feel so lousy....because the Folate level was really low....! If they don't look for it, we will never know. That's why it is up to us to go in and demand these tests. Sad, but true.

Good luck,hon!!!

thanks so much!!! ya- my endo said that if i was anemic- that my CBC would have looked irregular... so thanku for replying- to remind me that maybe my doc doesnt always know.. you're so right. so, next i need to ask for folate & ferritin.

so frustrating.

i dont want that bone scan- dont they inject u with iodine & barium? and other poisonous crap?

burdee Enthusiast

The tests all celiacs should have run after diagnosis are CBC, ANA (for autoimmune disease), TSH, Thyroid antibodies test, Vit. D-3, B-12, Folate and if possible, ferritin storage levels. And a bone density scan is a must--as osteoporosis is a real concern with celiac. There may be more, I am not a doctor :lol: but those vitamins/body systems are the ones most affected by malabsorption in the gut. B-12 folate, seratonin--all produced in the gut.

At least, that is what my 3 years of research has uncovered! I am still reading to make sure I have all of it in check. My doctor follows my cues :blink:

I've read every result on my CBCs and CBC differential blood tests for the past 10 years. I've NEVER seen tests for calcium and magnesium levels included in my CBC tests. Maybe your doctor or lab ran additional tests to check for Ca and Mg levels???

IrishHeart Veteran

thanks so much!!! ya- my endo said that if i was anemic- that my CBC would have looked irregular... so thanku for replying- to remind me that maybe my doc doesnt always know.. you're so right. so, next i need to ask for folate & ferritin.

so frustrating.

i dont want that bone scan- dont they inject u with iodine & barium? and other poisonous crap?

I only suggest checking the folate level if you are still very tired. It is very common in celiac disease.

NO! A DEXA scan is a simple xray that measures your bone density. No dyes, nothing bad, honest! All women over 50 should have it done and

here is a link to read why people with celiac DEFINITELY should have this test done. Just suggesting!!

IrishHeart Veteran

I've read every result on my CBCs and CBC differential blood tests for the past 10 years. I've NEVER seen tests for calcium and magnesium levels included in my CBC tests. Maybe your doctor or lab ran additional tests to check for Ca and Mg levels???

You are correct, Burdee! :) thanks for pointing that out...he did indeed run a CMP (complete metabolic panel) as well as the CBC. I should have stated that more clearly in my post. Sorry. Apparently, that test is equally important as those levels (cal, sodium, potassium) are often affected by celiac as well?

maile Newbie

just to add and I agree with everything Irishheart is writing but if you do test b12 note that if you supplement at all in the past year then the reading will be "off" and be reflective of your supplementation values not your actual values. it's also worth noting that in Japan any B12 levels below 900 are considered to be low whereas here we tend to say anything above 150 is fine!

GlutenFreeJess Newbie

Does anyone know why Hashis and Celiac is so closely co-occuring? I have both Celiac and Hashis, diagnosed around the same time.

Gemini Experienced

Does anyone know why Hashis and Celiac is so closely co-occuring? I have both Celiac and Hashis, diagnosed around the same time.

The thyroid and the pancreas are the two organs that the autoimmune system attacks more frequently after the small intestine. Long, undiagnosed Celiac can result in thyroid disease and Type 1 diabetes.

I don't know why those 2 are so popular but that's the way the body reacts. I also have Hashi's and that came 15 years before the Celiac. I went a long time before I was diagnosed!

cassP Contributor

just to add and I agree with everything Irishheart is writing but if you do test b12 note that if you supplement at all in the past year then the reading will be "off" and be reflective of your supplementation values not your actual values. it's also worth noting that in Japan any B12 levels below 900 are considered to be low whereas here we tend to say anything above 150 is fine!

really? i thought i was doing pretty good with a B12 at 640.. but maybe i should aim for 900?? hmmm... need to get that checked again

IrishHeart Veteran

My B-12 read >2000 at one point back in 2010, :o and I was deathly ill with this thing at the time. I had been taking B-12 sublingually since 2007 for B-12 deficiency anemia. (long before celiac was DXed)

I have to think that MAILE is correct---the levels "look" good because of supplementation, or it is circulating in the blood, because I sure as heck was NOT absorbing anything in the gut as I was dwindling down to nothing but skin and bones.

All the supplementation in the world won't work if there's no absorption.

I guess that is why really low levels require injections??

Gemini,

My sister has type 1 diabetes and is hypothyroid, yet refuses to believe she may be a celiac (this only happened to me, she says-- :blink: ) Despite my practically begging her to be tested, and all the info I sent about the many autoimmune diseases being connected to celiac disease, she won't do it....arggh!!

Gemini Experienced

My B-12 read >2000 at one point back in 2010, :o and I was deathly ill with this thing at the time. I had been taking B-12 sublingually since 2007 for B-12 deficiency anemia. (long before celiac was DXed)

I have to think that MAILE is correct---the levels "look" good because of supplementation, or it is circulating in the blood, because I sure as heck was NOT absorbing anything in the gut as I was dwindling down to nothing but skin and bones.

All the supplementation in the world won't work if there's no absorption.

I guess that is why really low levels require injections??

Gemini,

My sister has type 1 diabetes and is hypothyroid, yet refuses to believe she may be a celiac (this only happened to me, she says-- :blink: ) Despite my practically begging her to be tested, and all the info I sent about the many autoimmune diseases being connected to celiac disease, she won't do it....arggh!!

If you are using sublingual supplements, it should work to replenish your vitamin levels regardless of whether your gut is healed or not. Sublinguals go directly into the blood stream and do not pass through the gut. However, if you have been very sick for a long time, it will still be awhile before you feel normal again.

IrishHeart....my brother is a Type 1 also and has been for years. He has so many symptoms of Celiac yet his doctors say it's all from the diabetes. He is slightly overweight so the AMA gods that he sees tell him he doesn't have Celiac. That's what he wants to hear! :rolleyes: His diabetes is not well controlled and his kidneys are in rough shape. As I have said before, I don't care so much for longevity but who the heck wants to be ill while still on the planet? Quality of life is huge and living in denial won't get you there!

Archived