Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Associated Is Hasimoto's Thyroid And Auto Immune Anemia To Celiacs?

• Please log in to reply

33 replies to this topic

#16 cassP

cassP

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:02 AM

Cass, one more thing....you may already know all this, so forgive me if this is "old news" :lol:
The CBC checks your red and white blood cell counts, among other things like calcium, magnesium levels, etc. Not enough to see what's going on with major vitamin deficiencies. My CBC is always "normal"...I look so good "on paper", :blink: yet I continued to feel so lousy....because the Folate level was really low....! If they don't look for it, we will never know. That's why it is up to us to go in and demand these tests. Sad, but true.

Good luck,hon!!!

thanks so much!!! ya- my endo said that if i was anemic- that my CBC would have looked irregular... so thanku for replying- to remind me that maybe my doc doesnt always know.. you're so right. so, next i need to ask for folate & ferritin.
so frustrating.
i dont want that bone scan- dont they inject u with iodine & barium? and other poisonous crap?
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:23 AM

Cass, one more thing....you may already know all this, so forgive me if this is "old news" :lol:
The CBC checks your red and white blood cell counts, among other things like calcium, magnesium levels, etc. Not enough to see what's going on with major vitamin deficiencies. My CBC is always "normal"...I look so good "on paper", :blink: yet I continued to feel so lousy....because the Folate level was really low....! If they don't look for it, we will never know. That's why it is up to us to go in and demand these tests. Sad, but true.

The tests all celiacs should have run after diagnosis are CBC, ANA (for autoimmune disease), TSH, Thyroid antibodies test, Vit. D-3, B-12, Folate and if possible, ferritin storage levels. And a bone density scan is a must--as osteoporosis is a real concern with celiac. There may be more, I am not a doctor :lol: but those vitamins/body systems are the ones most affected by malabsorption in the gut. B-12 folate, seratonin--all produced in the gut.

At least, that is what my 3 years of research has uncovered! I am still reading to make sure I have all of it in check. My doctor follows my cues :blink:

I've read every result on my CBCs and CBC differential blood tests for the past 10 years. I've NEVER seen tests for calcium and magnesium levels included in my CBC tests. Maybe your doctor or lab ran additional tests to check for Ca and Mg levels???

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:57 AM

thanks so much!!! ya- my endo said that if i was anemic- that my CBC would have looked irregular... so thanku for replying- to remind me that maybe my doc doesnt always know.. you're so right. so, next i need to ask for folate & ferritin.
so frustrating.
i dont want that bone scan- dont they inject u with iodine & barium? and other poisonous crap?

I only suggest checking the folate level if you are still very tired. It is very common in celiac disease.

NO! A DEXA scan is a simple xray that measures your bone density. No dyes, nothing bad, honest! All women over 50 should have it done and
here is a link to read why people with celiac DEFINITELY should have this test done. Just suggesting!!

http://celiacdisease...nsity-tests.htm

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

I've read every result on my CBCs and CBC differential blood tests for the past 10 years. I've NEVER seen tests for calcium and magnesium levels included in my CBC tests. Maybe your doctor or lab ran additional tests to check for Ca and Mg levels???

You are correct, Burdee! :) thanks for pointing that out...he did indeed run a CMP (complete metabolic panel) as well as the CBC. I should have stated that more clearly in my post. Sorry. Apparently, that test is equally important as those levels (cal, sodium, potassium) are often affected by celiac as well?

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#20 maile

maile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:14 PM

just to add and I agree with everything Irishheart is writing but if you do test b12 note that if you supplement at all in the past year then the reading will be "off" and be reflective of your supplementation values not your actual values. it's also worth noting that in Japan any B12 levels below 900 are considered to be low whereas here we tend to say anything above 150 is fine!
Enterolab:
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 11 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal Anti-casein (cows milk) IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)
(this makes sense, my mother had MS)

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

#21 GlutenFreeJess

GlutenFreeJess

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

Does anyone know why Hashis and Celiac is so closely co-occuring? I have both Celiac and Hashis, diagnosed around the same time.
~Jessica~
---------
Dx: Celiac Disease '08, Hashimotos Thyroiditis '08, Diabetes '07, TMJD '07, Fibromyalgia '08

#22 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:43 PM

Does anyone know why Hashis and Celiac is so closely co-occuring? I have both Celiac and Hashis, diagnosed around the same time.

The thyroid and the pancreas are the two organs that the autoimmune system attacks more frequently after the small intestine. Long, undiagnosed Celiac can result in thyroid disease and Type 1 diabetes.
I don't know why those 2 are so popular but that's the way the body reacts. I also have Hashi's and that came 15 years before the Celiac. I went a long time before I was diagnosed!

#23 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:56 PM

just to add and I agree with everything Irishheart is writing but if you do test b12 note that if you supplement at all in the past year then the reading will be "off" and be reflective of your supplementation values not your actual values. it's also worth noting that in Japan any B12 levels below 900 are considered to be low whereas here we tend to say anything above 150 is fine!

really? i thought i was doing pretty good with a B12 at 640.. but maybe i should aim for 900?? hmmm... need to get that checked again
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:49 AM

My B-12 read >2000 at one point back in 2010, :o and I was deathly ill with this thing at the time. I had been taking B-12 sublingually since 2007 for B-12 deficiency anemia. (long before celiac was DXed)

I have to think that MAILE is correct---the levels "look" good because of supplementation, or it is circulating in the blood, because I sure as heck was NOT absorbing anything in the gut as I was dwindling down to nothing but skin and bones.

All the supplementation in the world won't work if there's no absorption.

I guess that is why really low levels require injections??

Gemini,
My sister has type 1 diabetes and is hypothyroid, yet refuses to believe she may be a celiac (this only happened to me, she says-- :blink: ) Despite my practically begging her to be tested, and all the info I sent about the many autoimmune diseases being connected to celiac disease, she won't do it....arggh!!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#25 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:42 AM

My B-12 read >2000 at one point back in 2010, :o and I was deathly ill with this thing at the time. I had been taking B-12 sublingually since 2007 for B-12 deficiency anemia. (long before celiac was DXed)

I have to think that MAILE is correct---the levels "look" good because of supplementation, or it is circulating in the blood, because I sure as heck was NOT absorbing anything in the gut as I was dwindling down to nothing but skin and bones.

All the supplementation in the world won't work if there's no absorption.

I guess that is why really low levels require injections??

Gemini,
My sister has type 1 diabetes and is hypothyroid, yet refuses to believe she may be a celiac (this only happened to me, she says-- :blink: ) Despite my practically begging her to be tested, and all the info I sent about the many autoimmune diseases being connected to celiac disease, she won't do it....arggh!!

If you are using sublingual supplements, it should work to replenish your vitamin levels regardless of whether your gut is healed or not. Sublinguals go directly into the blood stream and do not pass through the gut. However, if you have been very sick for a long time, it will still be awhile before you feel normal again.

IrishHeart....my brother is a Type 1 also and has been for years. He has so many symptoms of Celiac yet his doctors say it's all from the diabetes. He is slightly overweight so the AMA gods that he sees tell him he doesn't have Celiac. That's what he wants to hear! :rolleyes: His diabetes is not well controlled and his kidneys are in rough shape. As I have said before, I don't care so much for longevity but who the heck wants to be ill while still on the planet? Quality of life is huge and living in denial won't get you there!

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

If you are using sublingual supplements, it should work to replenish your vitamin levels regardless of whether your gut is healed or not. Sublinguals go directly into the blood stream and do not pass through the gut. However, if you have been very sick for a long time, it will still be awhile before you feel normal again.

IrishHeart....my brother is a Type 1 also and has been for years. He has so many symptoms of Celiac yet his doctors say it's all from the diabetes. He is slightly overweight so the AMA gods that he sees tell him he doesn't have Celiac. That's what he wants to hear! :rolleyes: His diabetes is not well controlled and his kidneys are in rough shape. As I have said before, I don't care so much for longevity but who the heck wants to be ill while still on the planet? Quality of life is huge and living in denial won't get you there!

You're preaching to the choir, my friend Gemini....heads in the sand. I worry my sister will soon be suffering kidney disease--on top of the other diseases--or heart disease, as she is very overweight. She says "I don't have bowel issues like you!" and for her, that means she does not have celiac! And yes, because she is obese, her doctor does not think it's celiac either! I was FAT and I have it!! idiot doctors! I have tried to tell my whole family (loaded with autoimmune diseases) that they should be tested but they won't do it...why? They do not want to give up their rotten gluten and sugar- filled fast food diets. They are overweight (as I said, I was fat, too--until I lost 90 lbs. very quickly and all my muscle mass, too!) and it presents them with too much "work".
sigh.....

And the really sad part is.....I'll eventually be healthy after healing my gut....and they will all have more crippling autoimmune diseases or be dead. All of that could be avoided if they would just listen to me....

Oddly, the doctor thought I had hashimoto's in Jan. 2008, put me on synthroid which made me go "hyper"--and caused a whole slew of new problems. I told the endocrinologist I felt hyper and racy and unable to sleep...just racing out of my skin.But he said "It's not the thyroid! just stay on the medicine!" After nearly two years of feeling this way, another doctor agreed with me, and I went off meds in March 2010.( I was DXED in Nov. 2010 and went gluten-free.) Since stopping the med and going gluten-free, my thyroid levels and antibodies are normal. No racing, no hypo symptoms....yet many in my family are hypothyroid....go figure?!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#27 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:26 AM

You're preaching to the choir, my friend Gemini....heads in the sand. I worry my sister will soon be suffering kidney disease--on top of the other diseases--or heart disease, as she is very overweight. She says "I don't have bowel issues like you!" and for her, that means she does not have celiac! And yes, because she is obese, her doctor does not think it's celiac either! I was FAT and I have it!! idiot doctors! I have tried to tell my whole family (loaded with autoimmune diseases) that they should be tested but they won't do it...why? They do not want to give up their rotten gluten and sugar- filled fast food diets. They are overweight (as I said, I was fat, too--until I lost 90 lbs. very quickly and all my muscle mass, too!) and it presents them with too much "work".
sigh.....

And the really sad part is.....I'll eventually be healthy after healing my gut....and they will all have more crippling autoimmune diseases or be dead. All of that could be avoided if they would just listen to me....

Oddly, the doctor thought I had hashimoto's in Jan. 2008, put me on synthroid which made me go "hyper"--and caused a whole slew of new problems. I told the endocrinologist I felt hyper and racy and unable to sleep...just racing out of my skin.But he said "It's not the thyroid! just stay on the medicine!" After nearly two years of feeling this way, another doctor agreed with me, and I went off meds in March 2010.( I was DXED in Nov. 2010 and went gluten-free.) Since stopping the med and going gluten-free, my thyroid levels and antibodies are normal. No racing, no hypo symptoms....yet many in my family are hypothyroid....go figure?!

My brother had 2 stents put into his heart because he had a 95% blockage in his arteries..at the age of 49! :blink: He really does not take good care of himself yet he refuses to see the connection. He takes about 15 pills a day and thinks those will "save" him and make him healthy. He also has a lot of Celiac symptoms but will not hear that he may have that also. I just don't bother anymore as you just cannot help people who refuse to be helped. To each his own....

#28 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

My brother had 2 stents put into his heart because he had a 95% blockage in his arteries..at the age of 49! :blink: He really does not take good care of himself yet he refuses to see the connection. He takes about 15 pills a day and thinks those will "save" him and make him healthy. He also has a lot of Celiac symptoms but will not hear that he may have that also. I just don't bother anymore as you just cannot help people who refuse to be helped. To each his own....

I hear you! I am coming to that conclusion. It's hard to watch though.... :unsure:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#29 Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

Hey guys just an update my sil was negative for the celiac panel:) Although they still do not know what ios causing her anemia and hashi's:(
Melissa
9/10 Diagnosed celiac via bloodwork/endo
9/10 Gluten free

#30 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

very interesting. i was concerned about this- but getting so many tests. my endo just ran a CBC and everything looked fine- she said that the CBC would be a little off if i was anemic.. is that true? im assuming i should still get my Iron tested just in case?

I had a normal CBC when my endo found out my ferritin was in the toilet! My level was 4 and that is very, very low!! Until I started to heal gluten free (diagnosis came about 2 years later) my ferritin never went up. I felt like CRAP not only from the low ferritin, but the undiagnosed celiac as well. About 6 months gluten free I was able to tolerate oral iron again, before it aggravated my reflux/constipation, and I am happy to report it is now NORMAL!! I was taking two slow fe brand of iron pills a day and didn't have any GI problems from it. Honestly in hindsight I probably would have benefited from iron infusions, but hey, we do the best we can with the information we have at the time.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: