Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

READ FIRST: Super Sensitive Celiacs Disclaimer   09/23/2015

This section of the forum is devoted to those who have responses to gluten beyond the experience of the majority of celiacs. It should not be construed as representative of the symptoms you are likely to encounter or precautions you need to take. Only those with extreme reactions need go to the lengths discussed here. Many people with newly diagnosed celiac disease have a condition known as leaky gut syndrome, which can lead to the development of sensitivity to other foods until the gut is healed - which may take as long as one to three years. At that time they are often able to reincorporate into their diet foods to which they have formerly been sensitive. Leaky gut syndrome leads many people to believe they are being exposed to gluten when they are in fact reacting to other foods.
    • admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Will The Dentist Make Us Sick?

9 posts in this topic

I am going to be going to the Dentist soon and just realized - as a sensitive celiacs, have you guys ever had problems with the tooth pastes and stuff they use on your teeth? If so, is there ways to prevent getting glutened?

I got glutened the last two times I went to the dentist. My son the last time. I just went yesterday, but this time I phoned them first and they researched the issue. My hygenist found an article in their trade magazine which recommends using unflavored pastes.

I am very sensitive. I don't think that the typical celiac has this issue.

http://www.rdhmag.com/index/display/article-display/278821/articles/rdh/volume-26/issue-11/columns/comfort-zone/talk-about-polishing.html

"Others who suffer from celiac disease are gluten intolerant, which is an ingredient in many flavors and colors. Other patients request paste without fluoride and some want a paste that is “all natural.” Denticator’s SureClean and Preventech’s Nada pastes are made without any flavors or colors and are the perfect products for these types of situations."

She's going to order it for next time. For this time, she used plain water and I'm O.K. today, but not super.

I am going to be going to the Dentist soon and just realized - as a sensitive celiacs, have you guys ever had problems with the tooth pastes and stuff they use on your teeth? If so, is there ways to prevent getting glutened?

I've been to the dentist several times since going gluten-free and have had no problem. I did question the hygenist about the stuff she uses to clean my teeth, which she checked and it is gluten-free.

I've had no problems. You can always ask them to check their stuff or use unflavored things.

richard

...as a sensitive celiacs, have you guys ever had problems with the tooth pastes and stuff they use on your teeth? If so, is there ways to prevent getting glutened?

I've had problems at the dentist, yes. They now use pumice powder (I think that's what it's called - kind of gluten brain today, so not sure!) - it's what is in the polishing paste, and most offices will typically have some on hand.

I also had issues with their flouride rinse, so they dentist actually got together with a compounding pharmacist to make me a special flouride rinse that just has flouride powder and distilled water. But it has no preservative so it's only good for 2 weeks or so at a time. :-(

I know of other celiacs who have been okay with many of the products at the dentist's, and many of the products used at the dentist are supposed to be gluten free. I'm lucky that my dentist is very aware, because I wasn't his first celiac patient, and then one of his assistants had her husband diagnosed with this disease, too, so she's now their 'research gal' for their products and gluten.

You should not be afraid to go to the dentist because I have yet to find anything used at a dental office which contains gluten. Not to say that on the very rare occasion it could happen but as an uber-sensitive Celiac, the only reaction I have ever had was from the compounding agent used to make dental crowns/teeth and it was a reaction to gums used for binding and not from gluten. I live at the dentist because I have classic Celiac which has affected my teeth to a great extent. I go every 3 months for cleanings and am in the midst of having 2 dental implants done. I have researched dental ingredients, most likely, more than anyone and could not find anything which contained a gluten component. Flavorings are often suspect in toothpaste yet I have not found that to be true.

I don't know how people classify themselves as sensitive as there is no test but, for comparison to yourself, I react to minute amounts, do not eat from shared lines and eat out in restaurants about every 2 months, except when I travel. With the advent of gluten free menu's and more knowledge of Celiac where I travel to, I do pretty well with that. Funny enough, the one time I got glutened while traveling was at a restaurant which advertised being gluten-free friendly. Go figure! :huh:

Even the most sensitive of individuals should not fear going to the dentist. You could certainly have a problem but it would be more likely to happen from some other ingredient you may be sensitive to and don't know yet. I found out I am very sensitive to gums used for binding but overall, for the amount of time I spend in the chair, I have not had a problem. You need to take very good care of your teeth, as a Celiac, so relax, check your labels and become familiar with what they use. Most likely, you'll be fine! ;)

I've also been to the dentist twice a year for my 7 years as a celiac and never had any glutening issues. You're really not supposed to swallow that stuff but I'd imagine if you do, it could upset your stomach whether you have a gluten issue or not!

Thanks for the great responses. One of the symptoms that actually led to my diagnoses was the fact that my enamel was deteriorating quickly and I had cavities right and left. I went often then, but haven't had an app. for quite a long time (atleast since early in my diagnoses a year and a half ago), so I was wondering if that could be a problem. Thanks for the information guys!!! :D

I went to the Dentist about 6 months ago for a cleaning and they had gluten free ruince and cleaning paste. I was quite impressed. Some don't think to ask...so make sure you ask, even call before you go to that dentist!