This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Will The Dentist Make Us Sick?

paige350z

paige350z Rookie

I am going to be going to the Dentist soon and just realized - as a sensitive celiacs, have you guys ever had problems with the tooth pastes and stuff they use on your teeth? If so, is there ways to prevent getting glutened?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I got glutened the last two times I went to the dentist. My son the last time. I just went yesterday, but this time I phoned them first and they researched the issue. My hygenist found an article in their trade magazine which recommends using unflavored pastes.

I am very sensitive. I don't think that the typical celiac has this issue.

Open Original Shared Link

"Others who suffer from celiac disease are gluten intolerant, which is an ingredient in many flavors and colors. Other patients request paste without fluoride and some want a paste that is “all natural.” Denticator’s SureClean and Preventech’s Nada pastes are made without any flavors or colors and are the perfect products for these types of situations."

She's going to order it for next time. For this time, she used plain water and I'm O.K. today, but not super.

sa1937 Community Regular

I am going to be going to the Dentist soon and just realized - as a sensitive celiacs, have you guys ever had problems with the tooth pastes and stuff they use on your teeth? If so, is there ways to prevent getting glutened?

I've been to the dentist several times since going gluten-free and have had no problem. I did question the hygenist about the stuff she uses to clean my teeth, which she checked and it is gluten-free.

lovegrov Collaborator

I've had no problems. You can always ask them to check their stuff or use unflavored things.

richard

T.H. Community Regular

...as a sensitive celiacs, have you guys ever had problems with the tooth pastes and stuff they use on your teeth? If so, is there ways to prevent getting glutened?

I've had problems at the dentist, yes. They now use pumice powder (I think that's what it's called - kind of gluten brain today, so not sure!) - it's what is in the polishing paste, and most offices will typically have some on hand.

I also had issues with their flouride rinse, so they dentist actually got together with a compounding pharmacist to make me a special flouride rinse that just has flouride powder and distilled water. But it has no preservative so it's only good for 2 weeks or so at a time. :-(

I know of other celiacs who have been okay with many of the products at the dentist's, and many of the products used at the dentist are supposed to be gluten free. I'm lucky that my dentist is very aware, because I wasn't his first celiac patient, and then one of his assistants had her husband diagnosed with this disease, too, so she's now their 'research gal' for their products and gluten.

Gemini Experienced

You should not be afraid to go to the dentist because I have yet to find anything used at a dental office which contains gluten. Not to say that on the very rare occasion it could happen but as an uber-sensitive Celiac, the only reaction I have ever had was from the compounding agent used to make dental crowns/teeth and it was a reaction to gums used for binding and not from gluten. I live at the dentist because I have classic Celiac which has affected my teeth to a great extent. I go every 3 months for cleanings and am in the midst of having 2 dental implants done. I have researched dental ingredients, most likely, more than anyone and could not find anything which contained a gluten component. Flavorings are often suspect in toothpaste yet I have not found that to be true.

I don't know how people classify themselves as sensitive as there is no test but, for comparison to yourself, I react to minute amounts, do not eat from shared lines and eat out in restaurants about every 2 months, except when I travel. With the advent of gluten free menu's and more knowledge of Celiac where I travel to, I do pretty well with that. Funny enough, the one time I got glutened while traveling was at a restaurant which advertised being gluten-free friendly. Go figure! :huh:

Even the most sensitive of individuals should not fear going to the dentist. You could certainly have a problem but it would be more likely to happen from some other ingredient you may be sensitive to and don't know yet. I found out I am very sensitive to gums used for binding but overall, for the amount of time I spend in the chair, I have not had a problem. You need to take very good care of your teeth, as a Celiac, so relax, check your labels and become familiar with what they use. Most likely, you'll be fine! ;)

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I've also been to the dentist twice a year for my 7 years as a celiac and never had any glutening issues. You're really not supposed to swallow that stuff but I'd imagine if you do, it could upset your stomach whether you have a gluten issue or not!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

paige350z Rookie

Thanks for the great responses. One of the symptoms that actually led to my diagnoses was the fact that my enamel was deteriorating quickly and I had cavities right and left. I went often then, but haven't had an app. for quite a long time (atleast since early in my diagnoses a year and a half ago), so I was wondering if that could be a problem. Thanks for the information guys!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
dube Contributor

I went to the Dentist about 6 months ago for a cleaning and they had gluten free ruince and cleaning paste. I was quite impressed. Some don't think to ask...so make sure you ask, even call before you go to that dentist!

Archived