This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Goodbye Gallbladder

goodnews

goodnews Apprentice

So I had my HIDA scan this morning. I kind of thought this was just a test to rule out the gallbladder and was waiting to get the results back from my doctor tomorrow about the gene testing to see if I needed a repeat endoscopy. But after my Hida scan the radiologist (or whoever the guy was), told me that my gallbladder is functioning at 23% and it needs to be taken out. At one point he had mentioning that it wasn't emptying and going into the small intestine...but it eventually did. I guess I am wondering a couple of things. I had inflammation of my small intestine which is why they were looking at Celiac, but could it just be the gallbladder? Or could the gallbladder be set off by gluten? I am average weight, eat healthy already and am not a high fat food type person at all. I rarely eat anything fried or too fatty so this is all kind of strange. I asked the guy if my gallbladder functioning could ever get better if I changed my diet to something gluten free maybe (if I find I have those issues), and he said that it wouldn't make it get better and that my gallbladder will eventually get infected and my body will fight against it as it already knows it isn't working right. I would love for the pain to go away, and I would love the it to just be my gallbladder and nothing else...but wanted to know what you all thought and other experiences with the correlation between gluten and gallbladder issues. He said "well you could have a bunch of little things like gallbladder issues AND celiac" LOL, "little things" ????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MsCurious Enthusiast

So I had my HIDA scan this morning. I kind of thought this was just a test to rule out the gallbladder and was waiting to get the results back from my doctor tomorrow about the gene testing to see if I needed a repeat endoscopy. But after my Hida scan the radiologist (or whoever the guy was), told me that my gallbladder is functioning at 23% and it needs to be taken out. At one point he had mentioning that it wasn't emptying and going into the small intestine...but it eventually did. I guess I am wondering a couple of things. I had inflammation of my small intestine which is why they were looking at Celiac, but could it just be the gallbladder? Or could the gallbladder be set off by gluten? I am average weight, eat healthy already and am not a high fat food type person at all. I rarely eat anything fried or too fatty so this is all kind of strange. I asked the guy if my gallbladder functioning could ever get better if I changed my diet to something gluten free maybe (if I find I have those issues), and he said that it wouldn't make it get better and that my gallbladder will eventually get infected and my body will fight against it as it already knows it isn't working right. I would love for the pain to go away, and I would love the it to just be my gallbladder and nothing else...but wanted to know what you all thought and other experiences with the correlation between gluten and gallbladder issues. He said "well you could have a bunch of little things like gallbladder issues AND celiac" LOL, "little things" ????

Hi goodnews, I'm no expert on the gallbladder topic, since I've not dealt with it myself, but I have seen many many posts on here relating to gallbladder, so I have to think it seems VERY connected to celiac disease. I'm curious about it too, because my GGrandmother, GAunt, Grandmother, Mom, and niece have all had gallbladders removed, and I do believe I got the DQ2.5 marker from my mom. I'm suspicious that there may have been undiagnosed celiac in the family, and still think my niece may have it. Seems like so many things are caused by that nasty gluten, systemically. Did you find out anything more about your celiac disease tests? Or did you just have them done? Hope you get things straightened out soon and feel better. :)

goodnews Apprentice

Hi goodnews, I'm no expert on the gallbladder topic, since I've not dealt with it myself, but I have seen many many posts on here relating to gallbladder, so I have to think it seems VERY connected to celiac disease. I'm curious about it too, because my GGrandmother, GAunt, Grandmother, Mom, and niece have all had gallbladders removed, and I do believe I got the DQ2.5 marker from my mom. I'm suspicious that there may have been undiagnosed celiac in the family, and still think my niece may have it. Seems like so many things are caused by that nasty gluten, systemically. Did you find out anything more about your celiac disease tests? Or did you just have them done? Hope you get things straightened out soon and feel better. :)

Thanks Ms. Curious :) , I am supposed to call my gastro doctor back in the morning to get the HIDA Scan results (which I already pretty much got today) and the gene blood test results....so waiting to check the gene markers. I did get an allergy food test done this afternoon and came back all clear so that is good! Although not completely sure how reliable they are. My son clearly has seasonal allergies and they prescribe allergy meds for him because of all his symptoms, yet his allergy test came back saying he had no allergies. Anyhow, I am still glad to hear I don't have allergies and the dr. said to try an ellimination diet even it it comes back negative just to see if it helps.

GFinDC Veteran

I agree, there are lots of threads on here about gall bladder issues. I'd try the gluten-free diet first if it was me. I think I've also read somewhere about possibly using ultrasound or some medicines to break up gall stones. I don't think surgery to remove the gall bladder is the only option.

goodnews Apprentice

I agree, there are lots of threads on here about gall bladder issues. I'd try the gluten-free diet first if it was me. I think I've also read somewhere about possibly using ultrasound or some medicines to break up gall stones. I don't think surgery to remove the gall bladder is the only option.

thanks, I actually don't have gallstones at all...just not working right I guess. I am definitely having gallbladder pain...so I am okay with having it come out I guess. Just want to make sure there aren't other issues and if I didn't need it out and there was something I could do that would be awesome. I have yet to find stories of people that had a gallbladder functioning that poorly that changed on a diet though. I have been searching for a little while today with no luck :(

GFinDC Veteran

Well, I sure ain't an expert on gallbladder issues. I have read threads where people talked about after effects of removal. Some of them said they had quite a long period of time to adjust to not having a gall bladder, with symptoms like the big D for months. So it's not a get it out and everything is fine kind of deal. But if it hurts that is sure not something that would make me want to keep it a long time either. My understanding is the gall bladder is helpful when digesting fatty/oily foods. Do you think giving it a rest for a little while might help? Say not eating any oily/fatty foods for a few days? Some people talk about flush treatments too. I have no idea if any of that helps or not.

mushroom Proficient

I have read many stories on here of people who have had their gallbladders removed with no relief of pain :( They were later diagnosed as celiac. I have never read of someone refusing to have their gallbladder removed and recovering after going gluten free - I have never heard of that sequence of events; normally it happens the other way where the gallbladder is removed first so they never have a chance to find out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

I had symptoms of gallbladder disease, which was no surprise as it also runs in my family, but had not yet gotten to the point where I was scanned for it, I merely was trying to avoid eating anything that would set it off.

Those symptoms went away after a while on a gluten free diet. But it was very strange at first, as I had gone on a grain free diet, which was great for the celiac/gluten intolerant symptoms, but one needs to eat fat on that, or you're hungry all the time. I was sort of programed that if I ate anything fried, I was going to be feeling really awful afterwards. Then I discovered .... avocados. :lol: Then coconut milk. B) I went from avoiding fat, to discovering I could eat it if it was more expensive fat. I also discovered if I did not partake of fat and tried hiking, or something outdoorsy, I would not do as well, and I learned that my spouse does not have my metabolism, and if he ate a similar lunch, I had to absolutely make sure that he was carb replenished before starting out, and that we carried snacks on us.

It's still weird to be able to eat fried food again, if I want to, or to be able to use olive oil. That fat free, low carb phase, before gluten free, especially with the modified food starches replacing fats in foods, was a real nightmare for me.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I had symptoms of gallbladder disease, which was no surprise as it also runs in my family, but had not yet gotten to the point where I was scanned for it, I merely was trying to avoid eating anything that would set it off.

Those symptoms went away after a while on a gluten free diet. But it was very strange at first, as I had gone on a grain free diet, which was great for the celiac/gluten intolerant symptoms, but one needs to eat fat on that, or you're hungry all the time. I was sort of programed that if I ate anything fried, I was going to be feeling really awful afterwards. Then I discovered .... avocados. :lol: Then coconut milk. B) I went from avoiding fat, to discovering I could eat it if it was more expensive fat. I also discovered if I did not partake of fat and tried hiking, or something outdoorsy, I would not do as well, and I learned that my spouse does not have my metabolism, and if he ate a similar lunch, I had to absolutely make sure that he was carb replenished before starting out, and that we carried snacks on us.

It's still weird to be able to eat fried food again, if I want to, or to be able to use olive oil. That fat free, low carb phase, before gluten free, especially with the modified food starches replacing fats in foods, was a real nightmare for me.

This was me also. Don't go just by what the tech told you. Do let the doctor know what the tech said though as the tech was overstepping their training a bit. It isn't going to hurt to give the diet a good strict try for a month or so to see if that gives you some relief before letting them remove your gallbladder. Celiac can cause a lot of inflammation in the body and if the gallbladder issues are due to inflammation they may resolve gluten free. Please don't go by the gene testing results to tell you whether celiac is your issue or not. There are many more genes associated with celiac than the two they usually check for.

goodnews Apprentice

New news:

So the doctor called today and said that my blood test for the genetic testing came back with a "very high risk for Celiac" She didn't tell me the markers or anything, but just told me that. She said that the doctor wants to do a repeat endoscopy as soon as possible (going in next Wednesday) and then talk about what we are going to do with the gallbladder. I am glad they are doing it in this order (somewhat because the pain is getting really annoying). But the good news is that starting next Thursday I can start going gluten free to try it and see if it helps the pain. May not alleviate all of it because of my gallbladder pain, but may be a start. And the doctor said it was at 26%, not 23% and that she has seen a lot worse so I may not have to get it out right away.

So maybe this is good news. Doesn't really feel like it....I was secretely hoping it was just the gallbladder. And now since I know I am at such a high risk with an upcoming possible surgery, it could cause celiac to start even if it hadn't already. Oh, and I work in schools and found out last week I am laid off for next year and I was told by my doctor to not be stressed. : ) Gotta love it.

catsmeow Contributor

New news:

So the doctor called today and said that my blood test for the genetic testing came back with a "very high risk for Celiac" She didn't tell me the markers or anything, but just told me that. She said that the doctor wants to do a repeat endoscopy as soon as possible (going in next Wednesday) and then talk about what we are going to do with the gallbladder. I am glad they are doing it in this order (somewhat because the pain is getting really annoying). But the good news is that starting next Thursday I can start going gluten free to try it and see if it helps the pain. May not alleviate all of it because of my gallbladder pain, but may be a start. And the doctor said it was at 26%, not 23% and that she has seen a lot worse so I may not have to get it out right away.

So maybe this is good news. Doesn't really feel like it....I was secretely hoping it was just the gallbladder. And now since I know I am at such a high risk with an upcoming possible surgery, it could cause celiac to start even if it hadn't already. Oh, and I work in schools and found out last week I am laid off for next year and I was told by my doctor to not be stressed. : ) Gotta love it.

I'm so sorry to hear about your lay-off. It's happening in our district too. Huge budget cuts. Things are sure getting rough.

I'm having my Gallbladder out next week. For about 3-4 weeks I've been having horrible stomach cramps, gas, diahrrea, and general feelings of ill health, plus a 3 week headache. I thought I had developed another food allergy. During one really bad attack that had me writhing around on the floor in the fetal postion I realized the pain was coming from the right upper quadrant of my stomach, under the bottom of the rib cage. So, I called the doc and he had me come right in to ultra sound the gallbladder. It was full of stones and not functioning, so he scheduled me for surgery (this was a week ago, and surgery is this coming week) He wants it out fast before it gets infected.

With wheat allergies, I've never experienced the tummy trouble that celiacs do, however, what I am experiencing now sounds exactly like the tummy trouble of a celiac. But, it doesn't matter what I eat, everything, including water makes me have gas the second it hits my stomach. I have diahrrea every single day, and cramping pain where the gallbladder is loacted. I also have frequent shoulder and back pain with the gallbladder pain. I'm miserable.

It's funny, because I was thinking how gallbladder problems mimick Celiac, and I know I do not have Celiacs, I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy a year ago, and have been gluten/wheat free ever since. Just to be on the safe side, my doctor ran a bunch of food allergy tests/and other tests pertaining to gallbladder along with that untra sound, and all of the food allergy tests came back negative (yay, I would rather lose my gallbladder than give up another food group). I hope my symptoms improve with surgery. I'll revisit this post and let you know how it goes. I'm counting down the days until this thing is taken out of me!!!! I developed gallstones because I have been dieting and have lost a lot of weight. Rapid Weight loss can cause the formation of stones. I lost 60 pounds in 6 months (eating 1000 calories a day).

Take care.

superfob Contributor

Sorry to hear about your gallbladder.

I am not in the same boat, but I was previously noticing pale stools and pain which is located near my gallbladder after eating. I went online to search for a cause, and stumbled upon an article talking about the relationship between food intolerances and gallbladder pain:

"Attacks of gallbladder pain are most frequently due to food allergy. It's likely you've not heard or read this before, but research published by Dr. James Breneman in 1968 reported that 100% of a group of 69 people had complete relief of gallbladder pain when they identified and eliminated food allergens, and had attacks of pain return when they reintroduced the offending foods. The most common ones were eggs (93%), pork (64%), onion (52%), chicken (35%), milk (25%), coffee (22%), oranges (19%), beans, nuts, and corn (15%) each, apple and tomato (9% each)."

After reading this I realized that the most I felt abdominal discomfort (thinking it might be my gallbladder), was after I ate a meal with both pork and onions (i already dont eat eggs, milk, coffee, corn). But anyways, I eliminated those two foods and I don't notice any discomfort around that area anymore. Of course, my pain was mild, but maybe this will help you out.

goodnews Apprentice

I'm so sorry to hear about your lay-off. It's happening in our district too. Huge budget cuts. Things are sure getting rough.

I'm having my Gallbladder out next week. For about 3-4 weeks I've been having horrible stomach cramps, gas, diahrrea, and general feelings of ill health, plus a 3 week headache. I thought I had developed another food allergy. During one really bad attack that had me writhing around on the floor in the fetal postion I realized the pain was coming from the right upper quadrant of my stomach, under the bottom of the rib cage. So, I called the doc and he had me come right in to ultra sound the gallbladder. It was full of stones and not functioning, so he scheduled me for surgery (this was a week ago, and surgery is this coming week) He wants it out fast before it gets infected.

With wheat allergies, I've never experienced the tummy trouble that celiacs do, however, what I am experiencing now sounds exactly like the tummy trouble of a celiac. But, it doesn't matter what I eat, everything, including water makes me have gas the second it hits my stomach. I have diahrrea every single day, and cramping pain where the gallbladder is loacted. I also have frequent shoulder and back pain with the gallbladder pain. I'm miserable.

It's funny, because I was thinking how gallbladder problems mimick Celiac, and I know I do not have Celiacs, I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy a year ago, and have been gluten/wheat free ever since. Just to be on the safe side, my doctor ran a bunch of food allergy tests/and other tests pertaining to gallbladder along with that untra sound, and all of the food allergy tests came back negative (yay, I would rather lose my gallbladder than give up another food group). I hope my symptoms improve with surgery. I'll revisit this post and let you know how it goes. I'm counting down the days until this thing is taken out of me!!!! I developed gallstones because I have been dieting and have lost a lot of weight. Rapid Weight loss can cause the formation of stones. I lost 60 pounds in 6 months (eating 1000 calories a day).

Take care.

Good luck getting the gallbladder out...I am not sure when they will schedule mine. I feel my gallbladder all the time....just a dull pain, sometimes with spasms and worse at night and after eating. Very odd to always be able to feel where it is. This part (the gallbladder pain) has been pretty constant the last few weeks. Before that I sometimes had pain under my right rib when I was on the couch at night and I always tried to switch positions thinking I was leaning wrong on my ribs or something. I have no stones, just not working right at all. I did get my allergy testing for food and have no allergies at all...which is good. I have tons of other allergies but thankfully the foods are okay. I don't have the diarrhea at all...which is strange but I have the constipation most of the time. But then sometimes I will go several times a day. Always feel sick after eating (gallbladder and the whole stomach) and feel like there is a brick where my intestines are. Congrats on the weight loss! I hope your surgery goes well and you are feeling better soon!! Keep me updated!

goodnews Apprentice

Sorry to hear about your gallbladder.

I am not in the same boat, but I was previously noticing pale stools and pain which is located near my gallbladder after eating. I went online to search for a cause, and stumbled upon an article talking about the relationship between food intolerances and gallbladder pain:

"Attacks of gallbladder pain are most frequently due to food allergy. It's likely you've not heard or read this before, but research published by Dr. James Breneman in 1968 reported that 100% of a group of 69 people had complete relief of gallbladder pain when they identified and eliminated food allergens, and had attacks of pain return when they reintroduced the offending foods. The most common ones were eggs (93%), pork (64%), onion (52%), chicken (35%), milk (25%), coffee (22%), oranges (19%), beans, nuts, and corn (15%) each, apple and tomato (9% each)."

After reading this I realized that the most I felt abdominal discomfort (thinking it might be my gallbladder), was after I ate a meal with both pork and onions (i already dont eat eggs, milk, coffee, corn). But anyways, I eliminated those two foods and I don't notice any discomfort around that area anymore. Of course, my pain was mild, but maybe this will help you out.

Thanks. My gallbladder pain is actually pretty mild most of the time, but constant...worse after eating. My stomach pain is constant too worse after eating...but sometimes it can get really bad where I just feel like I have the stomach flu really bad. I did get allergy testing for food and it is all clear. I am excited about starting gluten free after my endoscopy next week.

catsmeow Contributor

Good luck getting the gallbladder out...I am not sure when they will schedule mine. I feel my gallbladder all the time....just a dull pain, sometimes with spasms and worse at night and after eating. Very odd to always be able to feel where it is. This part (the gallbladder pain) has been pretty constant the last few weeks. Before that I sometimes had pain under my right rib when I was on the couch at night and I always tried to switch positions thinking I was leaning wrong on my ribs or something. I have no stones, just not working right at all. I did get my allergy testing for food and have no allergies at all...which is good. I have tons of other allergies but thankfully the foods are okay. I don't have the diarrhea at all...which is strange but I have the constipation most of the time. But then sometimes I will go several times a day. Always feel sick after eating (gallbladder and the whole stomach) and feel like there is a brick where my intestines are. Congrats on the weight loss! I hope your surgery goes well and you are feeling better soon!! Keep me updated!

I can certainly relate to the dull ache and thinking you need a position change.

Please keep us updated, right here on your thread, I'll do the same. I hope you get a surgery date soon.

I had an attack that lasted 4 hours today. It was by far my worst attack. I almost went to ER for emergency surgery, but then the pain finally stopped. I wonder how many stones I passed today? It was awful. I pray that there are no more attacks between now and Friday. Friday morning is when it's coming out. I can't wait. The shoulder and back pain combined with the sharp intense pain of the gallbladder is enough to make me want to pass out. Today I could actually feel swelling where my gallbladder is. I swear, I could feel it when I layed on my stomach. I was trying to relieve pain, but laying on the stomach was not a good plan. I payed for that with even more intense pain. The last hour, when I was thinking about E.R. I actually started crying...ouch...please get this thing OUT OF ME!

goodnews Apprentice

I can certainly relate to the dull ache and thinking you need a position change.

Please keep us updated, right here on your thread, I'll do the same. I hope you get a surgery date soon.

I had an attack that lasted 4 hours today. It was by far my worst attack. I almost went to ER for emergency surgery, but then the pain finally stopped. I wonder how many stones I passed today? It was awful. I pray that there are no more attacks between now and Friday. Friday morning is when it's coming out. I can't wait. The shoulder and back pain combined with the sharp intense pain of the gallbladder is enough to make me want to pass out. Today I could actually feel swelling where my gallbladder is. I swear, I could feel it when I layed on my stomach. I was trying to relieve pain, but laying on the stomach was not a good plan. I payed for that with even more intense pain. The last hour, when I was thinking about E.R. I actually started crying...ouch...please get this thing OUT OF ME!

Ugh, hope you are feeling better this week! I started having gallbladder spasms last night...very strange. Didn't hurt any more than usual but very odd feeling. I totally agree about the swelling. the thing feels huge. Actually during the HIDA scan the radiologist said "wow you have a big gallbladder, especially for someone as small as you." I am thinking that it is so big because it is inflamed. Started getting acid reflux and felt lots of nausea when I lay down. I eat a low fat diet as it is...I can't imagine how sick I would feel if I ate something heavy or acidic. The thing would probably burst. Trying to get my fair share of gluten in this week before my endoscopy...but honestly I am not eating tons because I just feel so full all the time and stomach sick. I did eat pasta for dinner last night and 2 delicious pieces of french bread. Also an english muffin for breakfast and brought a salad and chicken noodle soup for lunch if I can stomach it. Last night I went through recipes that I normally make that are gluten free. I have a husband and 2 kids so I can't make everyone eat stuff they had never eaten before....but I am trying to figure out how I can make them their pasta and me my pasta and both still have the same sauce. Little things like that. It's going to take lots of planning and researching!

goodnews Apprentice

Well the good news is I got a call from the dr. and they said that that biopsy does not show Celiac. She said it did show some inflammation mostly with the esophagus which is probably due to acid reflux (related to gallbladder). So they are going to schedule the gallbladder surgery I guess. I would like to get it out soon because my symptoms are getting worse. So now I am really debating whether to do the gluten free diet yet. The problem is that with the gallbladder and stomach pain I am already having, I am not sure I would even notice feeling better. I am thinking of waiting until after it is out and trying it if I am still feeling sick and having symptoms. That seems to make more sense to me. I guess I will talk to the doctor later today and see what they think. I have all the stuff in my house to go gluten free already....but just not sure if there is a point. So far going gluten free I have not felt any better yet. The only symptom I have noticed is that I haven't been as constipated as I was at all. Otherwise actually feeling worse with the stomach cramping and other gallbladder issues.

catsmeow Contributor

Well the good news is I got a call from the dr. and they said that that biopsy does not show Celiac. She said it did show some inflammation mostly with the esophagus which is probably due to acid reflux (related to gallbladder). So they are going to schedule the gallbladder surgery I guess. I would like to get it out soon because my symptoms are getting worse. So now I am really debating whether to do the gluten free diet yet. The problem is that with the gallbladder and stomach pain I am already having, I am not sure I would even notice feeling better. I am thinking of waiting until after it is out and trying it if I am still feeling sick and having symptoms. That seems to make more sense to me. I guess I will talk to the doctor later today and see what they think. I have all the stuff in my house to go gluten free already....but just not sure if there is a point. So far going gluten free I have not felt any better yet. The only symptom I have noticed is that I haven't been as constipated as I was at all. Otherwise actually feeling worse with the stomach cramping and other gallbladder issues.

Well that's good news!!! I had my gallbladder out Friday. I'm still healing, but I can tell that getting my gallbladder out was the right thing to do. Before I got diagnosed, I thought had additional food allergies and was thinking about going on an elimination diet. Then my doc did a bunch of food allergy blood tests, all were negative. I knew they would be though, because I knew it was the gallbladder before the test results came back. I swear, the gallbladder issue acted like celiacs or dairy allergies. If I were not already Gluten free, I would have thought it was celiacs for sure. It mimicked it pretty well.

Go get that gallbladder out sweetie, then see how you feel.

goodnews Apprentice

Well that's good news!!! I had my gallbladder out Friday. I'm still healing, but I can tell that getting my gallbladder out was the right thing to do. Before I got diagnosed, I thought had additional food allergies and was thinking about going on an elimination diet. Then my doc did a bunch of food allergy blood tests, all were negative. I knew they would be though, because I knew it was the gallbladder before the test results came back. I swear, the gallbladder issue acted like celiacs or dairy allergies. If I were not already Gluten free, I would have thought it was celiacs for sure. It mimicked it pretty well.

Go get that gallbladder out sweetie, then see how you feel.

Thanks Trish! Glad you got yours out and you are starting to feel better. I am really hopeful it is mainly just the gallbladder. When they did the HIDA scan that is supposed to mimick the pain you are feeling, it really hurt my whole stomach...it was all cramping like it does. So I guess it can effect the whole stomach like that. I am hopeful I don't have to wait forever to get it out and that they can get me in pretty quickly.

catsmeow Contributor

Yes, it really did mimick Celiacs. I had gut pain, cramping, headaches, bad diahrrea, dizziness....etc. From reading this forum, and all that Celiacs go through when they have been glutened, I felt that I understood what it was like to Be Celiac a little. With a wheat allergy, I have a histemine reaction to wheat, not a Celiac reaction.

All I can say is it is nice to get rid of the gallbladder. Like you, my whole tummy hurt, especiually the right upper quadrant. Keep me posted.

I sure hope they get you in quick...oh what a relief it is!!!

goodnews Apprentice

I sure hope they get you in quick...oh what a relief it is!!!

Well...I have a "consult" with the surgeon scheduled for early next week (it was further out but I called and got it moved up a whoppin' 3 days). Then I guess they schedule the surgery from there. I don't know if I am going to make it that long. I guess I will eat bland foods until then because I really don't want to have to go in for emergency surgery or anything. Not sure why I need a consult. I am in pain with nausea...I have gastritis and esophagitis and my gallbladder is functioning at 23%...what else is there to consult about?? I don't think talking is going to make it better...Just get this thing out of me!!

catsmeow Contributor

Well...I have a "consult" with the surgeon scheduled for early next week (it was further out but I called and got it moved up a whoppin' 3 days). Then I guess they schedule the surgery from there. I don't know if I am going to make it that long. I guess I will eat bland foods until then because I really don't want to have to go in for emergency surgery or anything. Not sure why I need a consult. I am in pain with nausea...I have gastritis and esophagitis and my gallbladder is functioning at 23%...what else is there to consult about?? I don't think talking is going to make it better...Just get this thing out of me!!

((((((hugs)))))) I know your pain.....I wish your appt was earlier. Maybe the consult is really more of a pre-op appt. to get you ready and scheduled for surgery? Let's hope...... I sure hope you don't have anymore big attacks before then.....((((hugs))))) I feel so bad for you....

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Go ahead and give the diet a strict try. It won't do you any harm and you should do it anyway because of the high rate of false negatives. Hopefully your doctor did more than one biopsy but damage can be spotty and be missed.

I do hope the surgery helps and that you are feeling better soon.

catsmeow Contributor

Go ahead and give the diet a strict try. It won't do you any harm and you should do it anyway because of the high rate of false negatives. Hopefully your doctor did more than one biopsy but damage can be spotty and be missed.

I do hope the surgery helps and that you are feeling better soon.

She's right. Maybe you have a combo of both Celiac and Gallbladder issues. It certainly can't hurt to try gluten free. So many people have false negatives....

And there is a direct relationship between gallbladder disease and Celiac disease. I read an article about it recently right here on this website!!

https://www.celiac.com/articles/119/1/Gall-Bladder-Disease-and-Celiac-Disease---By-Ronald-Hoggan/Page1.html

goodnews Apprentice

She's right. Maybe you have a combo of both Celiac and Gallbladder issues. It certainly can't hurt to try gluten free. So many people have false negatives....

And there is a direct relationship between gallbladder disease and Celiac disease. I read an article about it recently right here on this website!!

https://www.celiac.com/articles/119/1/Gall-Bladder-Disease-and-Celiac-Disease---By-Ronald-Hoggan/Page1.html

Yes I know....and honestly if I don't feel better after getting it out I will definitely try it. I have plenty of gluten free food and my own little cupboard already. I am just in too much pain with the gallbladder to prepare or plan for much of anything...plus trying to eat really low fat and bland stuff. It's just too hard right now. I had a negative blood test and a negative biopsy. I do have high gene risk but so do lots of people. I may put the food to good use though because I am going to get my 3yo daughter tested I think. She has lots of signs like I have had....and I am doubting it is her gallbladder ;) She has been frequently complaining about her stomach and headaches and she is constipated often (with occasional bouts of diarrhea. I definitely need to look into it. Anyhow....for now I am just not eating much at all and waiting. It is getting progressively worse quickly, no matter what I eat at this point. I have read some of those articles before when I was convinced that was the problem. There are definite links. Honestly, I am going to ask them about it b/c I am a healthy 33 year old who is avg weight (or maybe a little under at this point). I was vegetarian for years and eat a low fat diet (and always have). It's pretty strange for my gallbladder to just fail.

Archived