This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Goodbye Gallbladder

goodnews

Igg postive Rookie

I'm counting down the days until this thing is taken out of me!!!!

Trish, That is how I felt about my gallbladder when I had it out. I knew I could not endure the pain much longer. While similar to Celiac it has a different urgency pain wise. The my belching was so bad I would be talking to my boss and I would belch involuntary in my conversation. I didn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Igg postive Rookie

She's right. Maybe you have a combo of both Celiac and Gallbladder issues. It certainly can't hurt to try gluten free. So many people have false negatives....

And there is a direct relationship between gallbladder disease and Celiac disease. I read an article about it recently right here on this website!!

https://www.celiac.com/articles/119/1/Gall-Bladder-Disease-and-Celiac-Disease---By-Ronald-Hoggan/Page1.html

Trish Trish, Excellent article that you posted! That did answer my question about the gallbladder

goodnews Apprentice

Trish, That is how I felt about my gallbladder when I had it out. I knew I could not endure the pain much longer. While similar to Celiac it has a different urgency pain wise. The my belching was so bad I would be talking to my boss and I would belch involuntary in my conversation. I didn

catsmeow Contributor

Trish Trish, Excellent article that you posted! That did answer my question about the gallbladder

catsmeow Contributor

I am so eager to get mine out...although still a little anxious about whether it will help. I really hope it will do the trick. The last 2-3 days I have been having esophagus spasms (that's all I can figure they are). Kind of like acid reflux only really severe pain after swallowing (and upon moving or switching positions) that feels like a heart attack. Only lasts about 3 seconds but they were frequent Monday and Tuesday, a little better today (only like 30 times today). I do think surgery could trigger Celiac or intolerance in the future, but if I am feeling fine after I will hold off on going gluten free. If I still feel sick at all then I am ready for the diet.

You must be miserable.....I hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

catsmeow Contributor

goodnews Apprentice

Mine was gas.....which is worse gas? or belching? LOL I'm just glad it's gone and am waiting for the tummy to finish resolving issues....I've heard it can some time to work it all out.

So....I started the gluten free thing again today just to see. Not sure if it will work out because of how much time it will take to tell and I am having a surgeon consult on Monday. If my pain isn't worse I may put it off for a bit and see. Maybe schedule the surgery for the middle or end of May to give me some time to tell. Of course I worry about the pain getting worse and then having to get out out through emergency surgery. I wish there were easy answers. Yes the gas is annoying...belping and the other. My pain isn't all that bad since the esophagus stuff is much better with the meds. Very sore through which I assume is the acid reflux...but the esophagus isn't having spasms much at all any more. Still constant pressure under my ribs but not really painful. So I guess we will see what happens. Last time I went 5 days gluten free and didn't feel any better so I imagine if it works it will take a little while.

Anyhow, thanks for the thoughts on this. I really don't want to have to get it out and go gluten free...so I guess if this helps I will assume that if I had it out I would have had to go gluten free later on anyhow, right? And if it doesn't help then I will know it is just the gallbladder. Can't really hurt to try it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

So....I started the gluten free thing again today just to see. Not sure if it will work out because of how much time it will take to tell and I am having a surgeon consult on Monday. If my pain isn't worse I may put it off for a bit and see. Maybe schedule the surgery for the middle or end of May to give me some time to tell. Of course I worry about the pain getting worse and then having to get out out through emergency surgery. I wish there were easy answers. Yes the gas is annoying...belping and the other. My pain isn't all that bad since the esophagus stuff is much better with the meds. Very sore through which I assume is the acid reflux...but the esophagus isn't having spasms much at all any more. Still constant pressure under my ribs but not really painful. So I guess we will see what happens. Last time I went 5 days gluten free and didn't feel any better so I imagine if it works it will take a little while.

Anyhow, thanks for the thoughts on this. I really don't want to have to get it out and go gluten free...so I guess if this helps I will assume that if I had it out I would have had to go gluten free later on anyhow, right? And if it doesn't help then I will know it is just the gallbladder. Can't really hurt to try it.

Glad to hear you are giving it a strict try. Do avoid dairy also for a bit as if gluten is an issue then the area that is damaged also produces the enzyme that helps us digest dairy. We can have some ups and downs at first and make sure you are taking the precautions you need to like seperate toasters, colanders, and at least for now avoid baking with gluten flour for others. I do hope it helps you because if you get the gallbladder out and then still have to do the diet you will have to do two restricted diets, gluten and fats, instead of one. Keep us posted on how your doing. If you are a bit more moody than usual for a bit know that is normal as some of us do go through a withdrawl.

goodnews Apprentice

Glad to hear you are giving it a strict try. Do avoid dairy also for a bit as if gluten is an issue then the area that is damaged also produces the enzyme that helps us digest dairy. We can have some ups and downs at first and make sure you are taking the precautions you need to like seperate toasters, colanders, and at least for now avoid baking with gluten flour for others. I do hope it helps you because if you get the gallbladder out and then still have to do the diet you will have to do two restricted diets, gluten and fats, instead of one. Keep us posted on how your doing. If you are a bit more moody than usual for a bit know that is normal as some of us do go through a withdrawl.

Thanks...I feel awful today (much worse than any day in the last couple weeks). Although last time I tried the gluten free I felt pretty sick to my stomach the first couple days too. Isn't that odd to feel worse?? So this morning I ate 2 small gluten free waffles. For lunch (still wasn't hungry then) ate leftovers of a frittata I had made and a small salad. That's it today and I feel so much nausea and stomach sickness. I took a nap for a bit and just to up and trying to drink an organic tea that has some stomach benefits (ginger, mint, chamomile, etc.). I have been going lite on the dairy lately and am going to try to avoid too many of the gluten free foods and more just regular fruits and veggies that are gluten free. Ugh.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks...I feel awful today (much worse than any day in the last couple weeks). Although last time I tried the gluten free I felt pretty sick to my stomach the first couple days too. Isn't that odd to feel worse?? So this morning I ate 2 small gluten free waffles. For lunch (still wasn't hungry then) ate leftovers of a frittata I had made and a small salad. That's it today and I feel so much nausea and stomach sickness. I took a nap for a bit and just to up and trying to drink an organic tea that has some stomach benefits (ginger, mint, chamomile, etc.). I have been going lite on the dairy lately and am going to try to avoid too many of the gluten free foods and more just regular fruits and veggies that are gluten free. Ugh.

It can take a little while to feel better. When we produce antibodies to gluten it takes a bit for them to get out of our system.

For myself I couldn't handle all the roughage in a salad for a couple of months. I did well cooked veggies and fruits at first. You mention the frittata was leftover, do make sure if you use nonstick cookware that it doesn't have any scratches where gluten can hide. Cast iron skillets (what I use for mine) need to be replaced or some folks will put them through a 'clean' cycle in the oven and then wash and reseason.

Something that is very filling and easy to digest is Pocono Cream of Buckwheat. If you like cream of wheat that might be something to try. Some folks also like Cream of Rice. You want to be gentle with your tummy right now and if you don't already eat a lot of veggies and fruits up your intake slowly.

I do hope you are feeling better soon. I know all too well how evil that type of pain is.

Roda Rising Star

Here is food for thought. You could have both issues going on..celiac and gb disease. I didn't have any problems with my gallbladder until I was one year gluten free. It functions suboptimal, but above the % for surgical intervention. It has been tolerable for a year now, but I think it has gotten worse. I've gotta go get it checked out again.

goodnews Apprentice

Yes, I definitely could have both going on. I have been feeling the worst ever since last night. Indescribable Nausea, off and on stomach cramping and aching gallbladder with little stabs of pain here and there. About to go back to bed but just ate a little applesauce and can't lay back down after eating or I am sure I will feel worse. I am still trying this gluten free thing (which in some ways has been easier since I have absolutely no appetite). I am wondering if it is a coincidence that I am feeling so much work and maybe my gallbladder is just failing quickly. I really can't feel like this much longer though...Have my surgery consult tomorrow and I will have to see how it goes...but knowing how I feel now I am going to have a hard time putting it off to far in advance. It's hard because if you told me this would fix things, that would be different. But again, I have no evidence that eating gluten free will fix an already failing gallbladder.

goodnews Apprentice

Here is food for thought. You could have both issues going on..celiac and gb disease. I didn't have any problems with my gallbladder until I was one year gluten free. It functions suboptimal, but above the % for surgical intervention. It has been tolerable for a year now, but I think it has gotten worse. I've gotta go get it checked out again.

You know, thinking more about your comment also lets me know that going gluten free doesn't just heal the gallbladder. Mine is (or was) at 23%. If you were already gluten free for a year and problems started and then they are getting work...looks like gluten free doesn't just heal the already damaged gallbladder. Obviously both can be going on and celiac can cause the gallbladder to fail...but doesn't mean it is reversible. It would be awesome if it was, but it just doesn't seem to be.

Roda Rising Star

You know, thinking more about your comment also lets me know that going gluten free doesn't just heal the gallbladder. Mine is (or was) at 23%. If you were already gluten free for a year and problems started and then they are getting work...looks like gluten free doesn't just heal the already damaged gallbladder. Obviously both can be going on and celiac can cause the gallbladder to fail...but doesn't mean it is reversible. It would be awesome if it was, but it just doesn't seem to be.

I agree that in some instances gluten free won't heal an already diseased/disfunctional gallbladder. I did have some underlying hidden gluten issues that I have since identified and fixed, but I think it caused my already slightly underfunctioning gb more damage. I don't think gluten free at this point is going to do didly for it. Feb. 2010 it was at 48% so no rush to get it removed. It has progressively gotten worse..pulling-tugging sensation in my RUQ, increased belching and gas, pale stool and some rib pain/discomfort. I'm not in any distressing pain that people associate with a gb attack but it is getting worse. The recent belching, gas and bloating is more intolerable for me.

Salax Contributor

I also, after being Gluten Free for 6 months, developed GB Disease (maybe I had it all along, just couldn't tell, because I was always in pain).

Anyhow it was working at 13%, I was told that eventually a failing GB will become toxic, overtime as it "dies", then it has to come out. According to my doc there is no alternative healing for it, in a phase of "working at" it will continue to degrade. The pain for me was extreme and at the point I was vomitting green bile, the hidda scan put me into a severe gall bladder attack...etc. They rushed me to the ER. Been better since, small amount of D, but it was the best thing I could have done. The pain with it was horendous, there is no pain without it.

Personally, I think the undiagnosed celiac for 9 years started it's degrading process, but that's my opinion. I can't find medical proof....yet.

Good luck. :D

• 1 year later...
Shellseakr Newbie

I'm reading with much interest the comments about Gallbladder and gluten. Starting last September I was having so much nausea and pain in my right rib area that my GI doctor thought it was gallbladder. November ultrasound and blood tests showed negative. January colonoscopy and endoscopy showed negative. Pain continued. Instead of rushing into surgery or doing costly tests he suggested I try going gluten free and see if that helped the symptoms. Within 3 days I was pain and nausea free.

However, I notice that the symptoms return if I've been exposed to gluten, or at least I'm guessing it's gluten as it usually follows eating somewhere other than home. The symptoms last a couple of days and then I'm good again.

2 weeks ago I had an attack that lasted 8 days. Doc ordered stat Ultrasound and bloodwork which all came back negative.

Having another attack for last 2 days. This time doc put me on 4 pills a day of prilosec. Seemed to get better until I ate scrambled eggs this morning, now experiencing some mild nausea and rib jabs.

Could this pain be related to gluten and/or a food allergy? I like my GI doc and he's willing to explore all options with me. He's thinking of doing a HIDA scan but wants me to be in an attack since he feels if I'm not it will show negative.

No I haven't been biopsied or blood tested for celiac or gluten sensitivity. Between the time he decided to have me go gluten free and my follow up visit with him 6 weeks had passed and he said it was too late to run those tests. We are going strictly on symptoms. And I will say other things that were going on with my body and brain are much better or gone since going gluten-free.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I'm reading with much interest the comments about Gallbladder and gluten. Starting last September I was having so much nausea and pain in my right rib area that my GI doctor thought it was gallbladder. November ultrasound and blood tests showed negative. January colonoscopy and endoscopy showed negative. Pain continued. Instead of rushing into surgery or doing costly tests he suggested I try going gluten free and see if that helped the symptoms. Within 3 days I was pain and nausea free.

However, I notice that the symptoms return if I've been exposed to gluten, or at least I'm guessing it's gluten as it usually follows eating somewhere other than home. The symptoms last a couple of days and then I'm good again.

Could this pain be related to gluten and/or a food allergy? I like my GI doc and he's willing to explore all options with me. He's thinking of doing a HIDA scan but wants me to be in an attack since he feels if I'm not it will show negative.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

A HIDA scan tests the function of your gallbladder. You don't have to be in an attack. It measures how well your GB squeezes bile when the hormone CCK is sent to it from the duodenum. They inject the CCK into an IV and measure how your GB works.

The CCK hormone is made in, and sent from the duodenum. The reason why people get GB symptoms after being glutened is because there may be an interuption in the making or sending of the CCK?

Gallbladder problems are pretty common with Celiac disease.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/119/1/Gall-Bladder-Disease-and-Celiac-Disease---By-Ronald-Hoggan/Page1.html

Shellseakr Newbie

Thanks Bubba's Mom. I will talk to my GI doc tomorrow about running this test.

lesliev523 Rookie

I had my gall bladder out last September after months of feeling terrible. Extreme pain in my right side, like someone was stabbing me. My gall bladder ultra sound showed polyps, but the doctor didn't think that would cause the paid. I had a HIDA scan, which was fine. I had an endoscopy which showed a few questionable areas, but the doctor said the biopsy's were fine. So he recommended to take the gall bladder out and see if that made me feel better. So that's what happened.

The extreme pain was gone after, but I still had terrible stomach issues. I tried gluten free after that, and I felt 100% better. But because I wasn't "diagnosed" I went back to to gluten. After less than three months of being back to a normal diet, although I stopped drinking beer because one beer would make me feel sick for two days, I was incredibly sick again. Worse than before. But this time I had neurological symptoms. My primary doc did a celiac test and it came back negative. I went back to gluten free, and my symptoms are almost gone.

I went to a different doctor about two weeks ago, and she said to NEVER eat gluten again. It was too late to go through more testing because I was back to gluten-free, but she said from all symptoms she felt that I probably had Celiac, or at least NCGS.

I have been gluten-free for about a month now, and I feel better.

I just wish someone would have suggested this BEFORE I had my gall bladder out.

Shellseakr Newbie

Had my HIDA Scan on Monday. My GB is working at 95%!!! I was shocked as the pain I have is very real and very uncomfortable as is the nausea. Having a small bowel study done Friday. I only get the GB symptoms when we eat out. I don't think I've ever had an episode from eating at home. I'm personally convinced that when I get glutened it mimics GB symptoms. Makes me want to never eat out again except at totally gluten free establishments.

Archived