7 replies to this topic

#1 clnewberry1

clnewberry1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

I was tested by Cyrex labs that is supposed to tests different parts of the gluten. I tested positive for Transglutaminase IGA (range .6-1.5) my results 9.83. I am not sure exactly what this means. I tested negative for Gliadin. My doctor said this is subset of Celiac. What does that mean. I have had a biopsy but was gluten free so it came back negative and I am not going through that again. I am just not sure of the diagnosis. She said that it's celiac but I am not as sesative as someone who tests positive to Gliadin. So if I was contaminated I probably wouldn't have a reaction.

I have anxiety so not really typical celiac symtoms.

Thanks for any input.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sb2178

sb2178

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:00 PM

So, yes, it is almost definitely celiac disease. there is a very small chance that it could be inflammatory bowel disease, but it's more likely to be celiac disease ESPECIALLY if you've experienced a decrease in symptoms. gliadin testing is a little more variable.

You'll probably figure out quickly whether you react to contamination, and many people become more sensitive after withdrawing gluten.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#3 deezer

deezer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

I was tested by Cyrex labs that is supposed to tests different parts of the gluten. I tested positive for Transglutaminase IGA (range .6-1.5) my results 9.83. I am not sure exactly what this means. I tested negative for Gliadin. My doctor said this is subset of Celiac. What does that mean. I have had a biopsy but was gluten free so it came back negative and I am not going through that again. I am just not sure of the diagnosis. She said that it's celiac but I am not as sesative as someone who tests positive to Gliadin. So if I was contaminated I probably wouldn't have a reaction.

I have anxiety so not really typical celiac symtoms.

Thanks for any input.

I'm not sure if there are any "typical" Celiac symptoms anymore.... there seem to be so many manifestations.

According to Dr Peter Green (and if you don't have his book you should buy it), IgA and IgG Antigliadin Antibodies will disappear from the bloodstream faster after starting a gluten-free diet.

IgA Tissue Transgulatminase is agreed to be one of the key serologic markers for Celiac disease. Yet it is not 100% specific - there are other causes and and people who have Celiac can have a negative tTG test.

At this point you can assume you have Celiac and go 100% strict gluten free for life, or you could reintroduce gluten for awhile and have another biopsy or you could get a genetic test to validate if you have the genes for the disease.
For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16

#4 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

the ttg test which you had, is the main test for celiac.

The old antigliadin test is not a variation of the ttg test, nor a different part of gluten.

The ttg test is only positive when there has been significant tissue damage, and it is a marker for tissue damage.

it is not an antibody-to-gluten-test.
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#5 Debbie B in MD

Debbie B in MD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

the ttg test which you had, is the main test for celiac.

The old antigliadin test is not a variation of the ttg test, nor a different part of gluten.

The ttg test is only positive when there has been significant tissue damage, and it is a marker for tissue damage.

it is not an antibody-to-gluten-test.

So my daughter's positive >100, when the reference range is <5, is probably fairly certain a positive for Celiac? We are waiting to see the GI doc. She is gluten-free as of yesterday when we got the results.

#6 clnewberry1

clnewberry1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

I am super confused now.

My first test was a blood test done by Cyrex labs. Wheat IgG is out of range, 1.87 and range is .3-1.3 Transglutaminase IgA is out of range 9.83 and range is .6-1.5 I paid out of pocket for this test.

I had a second test done covered by insurance;

Endomysial Iga - negative run by mayo clinic.
Transglutam ABS - less than 1.2 normal is less than 6 run by mayo.
Transglutam IGA - less than 1.2 normai is less than 4 run by mayo.
Wheat IgG - high 3.1 with 2.0-5.0 being low.

Which test do I believe. The doctor at first said a subset of Celiac and now she is saying negative to Celiac. I really do not know what to think.

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:35 PM

So my daughter's positive >100, when the reference range is <5, is probably fairly certain a positive for Celiac? We are waiting to see the GI doc. She is gluten-free as of yesterday when we got the results.

Have you talked to the GI first? He may want to do an endoscopy and she should still be eating gluten for this test.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 clnewberry1

clnewberry1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

Have you talked to the GI first? He may want to do an endoscopy and she should still be eating gluten for this test.

I had both an endoscopy and colonoscopy it was awful. I would just go on a gluten free diet vs. invasive testing. But that is just my opinon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: