2 replies to this topic

#1 waterlily_

waterlily_

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

I had to eat gluten for a while and now I'm able to eat mostly gluten-free but even though I've been feeling better, I can't seem to get enough sleep now. I slept for 10 hours straight today and 5 hours later I really want to to sleep again. I can't figure it out besides that I'm not getting enough vitamins (which I cannot afford to buy right now either) & I have very active dreams (always have) ranging from weird to night terrors. Which are probably the causes, right?

Does this happen to anyone else? :|

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cassP

cassP

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

I had to eat gluten for a while and now I'm able to eat mostly gluten-free but even though I've been feeling better, I can't seem to get enough sleep now. I slept for 10 hours straight today and 5 hours later I really want to to sleep again. I can't figure it out besides that I'm not getting enough vitamins (which I cannot afford to buy right now either) & I have very active dreams (always have) ranging from weird to night terrors. Which are probably the causes, right?

Does this happen to anyone else? :|

wait, r u still eating gluten? gluten can really cause a lot of sleep issues, it's been linked to sleap apnea & narcolepsy, among many things. i overslept all the time when i used to eat gluten, i would never even hear the alarm clock, or i would sleepwalk to turn it off and never have memory of it.

and thyroid issues can cause nightmares & sleep issues too.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#3 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:49 PM

You say you are now eating "mostly gluten free" but if you are getting any gluten at all the effect could be the sleepy drowsy disturbed sleep that you are experiencing.

You need to get rid of all gluten if you want your sleep to improve. It sounds more like gluten is getting you than vitamin deficiencies. Vivid dreams and nightmares and night terrors are common symptoms of gluten even from cross contamination.

You will have to look closely at how you may be getting gluten and get really strict about your diet and the cross contamination. I hope it gets better soon.

There are some people who experience withdrawal symptoms from going gluten free and this may also be what is happening if you are sure you aren't getting gluten.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: