This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is Gluten Withdrawal?

shayre

shayre Enthusiast

Hi. I saw you all talking about gluten withdrawal. What is it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dixiebell Contributor

Hi shayre.

Withdrawal

Consumption of gluten triggers production of exorphins, which are opiate chemicals with similar results as endorphins---promoting feelings of calm.

-in some people, gluten and/or casein can mimic opiates, such as morphine and heroin. When these foods are removed, intense cravings and even drug withdrawal-like symptoms can result.

Read more: Open Original Shared Link

luvs2eat Collaborator

Well then... almost 10 years after going gluten free, I'm still having withdrawal. Awesome husband is so good about hearing me WHINE about wishing I could have a sausage egg Mcmuffin or a Pizza Hut pizza or a Big Mac or a myriad of other things!!

mushroom Proficient

I think wanting and physically craving are separate things :P:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
confusedwife Newbie

my husband went gluten free six weeks ago and was complaining he was feeling like he was going thru withdrewls or the flu...are you saying that this is a true symptom of the celiac as hes going thru this transition?

mushroom Proficient

Yes indeedy, we are. It is a very real physical reaction when gluten is removed. Generally doesn't last beyond a couple of months at very most. Gluten acts like an opioid :o

• 3 weeks later...
Kquad Apprentice

I went through 6 weeks of terrible withdrawal. I had weakness, fatigue, depression, nausea, dizziness, and achiness. I have only come out of it this past week. It is finally looking worth it. My so called IBS is gone. Months on Nausea gone. Still have a little fatigue, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. If only they have given me the celiac panel 8 years ago, when they first told me I had IBS. I have very little craving for gluten now, as I associate it with the past 6 weeks. I will see if the craving returns!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

The withdraw when I went gluten free was HORRIBLE but it passed in about 6 weeks. The cravings only seem to happen on the rare occasion that a bit of gluten sneaks in to my diet and are a signal to double check my food sources for gluten. Gluten is a VERY sneaky thing.

navigator Apprentice

This is interesting; - I've been gluten free for five days and have a dreadful headache for two days. The only time I've experienced this is before is when I gave up coffee. Never considered that it may be gluten withdrawal.

• 3 months later...
pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I guess I'm lucky because mine lasted a week. I was pretty much a raging lunatic, though. Dangerous because my brain was working again for the first time in forever...:).

I was obsessed for about 6 weeks with trying every gluten-free processed food. Got over that when I glutened myself.

• 1 year later...
RedRockChicka Newbie

Hi, everyone. I'm newly diagnosed, and on my second day of gluten free. I know this thread is over a year old, but it's still giving me hope. I was about ready to think I was going freaking crazy. 

The first day of no gluten was great. I had energy, I felt better. I wasn't all bloated (well, not as much) and looking like I should be the poster child for UNICEF. 

Today, however, I feel like I'm going nuts. Certifiably so. My stomach has been a wreck all day, from bloated and constipated in the morning to a veritable fountain now (sorry to be gross). I have zero energy, and I feel like ripping the head off anyone who asks me even the most innocuous request (like, "Tell me how your day was?"). I also feel seriously out of it. I was driving earlier, and luckily, made it home without driving into a telephone pole (that would have been interesting. Officer: "Ma'am, have you been drinking?" Me: "No, just going through some major gluten withdrawal."). 

Thanks for this thread, old as it is. I feel a bit less nuts just knowing I'm not certifiable (at least not completely). Oh, how I hope this doesn't last for months, though! 

nvsmom Community Regular

For most, withdrawal only lasts a week or so. I hope you are well soon.

Welcome to the board.

Archived